Bad start good ending

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bigjohn

Bad start good ending

Post by bigjohn »

Yesterday morning I started out to a new place in my old hunting truck.It's a 92 Chevy 4X4 with 300,100 miles on it.Well about 15 miles from home I hear a noise that sounds like it's coming from the running gears(ie. tranny,rearend ,wheelbearings?)and getting louder.I turned around and headed back home and loaded everything into my work truck and head off again.This place is a CA another guy told me about to try and I had been by it once before in the summer a couple of years ago,but wasn't too impressed.The conservation dept has done alot of work to it since and the habitate looked awesome.Lots of brushpiles,thickets,prairie grass,and briars.The pups jumped a rabbit in about ten minutes and ran well all day.Couple of the races lasted for over45 minutes before I was able to get a shot.Ended up with 4 rabbits as after that I put the gun up and just let them run the last one.It was in an area that had two huge brush/dozer piles and I wanted the pups to get more experience in working them.They did a fine job causing the rabbit to break out of one and head to the other which were 50 yards apart.I let them go on like this for 1 1/2 hours ,then caught um and headed home.Wish the conservation department would manage more like this on some of their other areas around here instead of managing for deer and turkey.