WHATS THE OLDEST YOUVE HEARD OF A BEAGLE STARTING!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jon cornett

WHATS THE OLDEST YOUVE HEARD OF A BEAGLE STARTING!!!

Post by jon cornett »

Whats the oldest that youve started or youve heard of a beagle starting? I picked up two nice spo bred males that are good looking dogs that are a little over a year old and arent started and im taking them to a pen in a couple weeks to try and get them started. They are akc registered and are out of real good dogs and they were free so it wont hurt to try!!!!

BriarCreekBeagles

Re: WHATS THE OLDEST YOUVE HEARD OF A BEAGLE STARTING!!!

Post by BriarCreekBeagles »

Hey Jon,
seems like i read on here about a hound not starting until about two years old if i can find the post i'll let you know
Kris
"My Goal in life is to be the kind of person my hound thinks I am"
2 Cor. 10:4
Tuff Gun Beagles
Tuff Gun Mr. Breeze, Huff's Briar Bustin Outlaw, Coming home-Lone Acres Ax Grinder

WrongsideRandy

Post by WrongsideRandy »

I have a friend who bred a litter and kept them all hunting except 1 that he sold for a pet. The entire litter ended up being good dogs(they may have all been Champions) except for the one that was a pet. Then several years later the people who had the one that had always been a pet had to get rid of him, so they called the breeder and the breeder took him back. The breeder and his guys started running him and he was a natural.....at 3-4 years old he ran his first rabbit and went on to become a Champion. I judged this dog his very first cast of his very first hunt and he won it easily and went on to win the hunt.

I dont think you will have any problems at 1-2 years old....

Good Luck!

TC

Post by TC »

I have 2 here that didnt Start until they were 18 mo old or better, Got another now that is Showing interest at 6 years!!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

dave404

Post by dave404 »

Ive had a few not show any interest at all till 1 yr old and its like turning a light switch on, they went from doing nothing to running and made good hounds. i usually dont keep one that long if it dont start but kids and wife get attached to em.
there was a female in West Virginia yrs ago out of the Dingus line that had pups and was never out of the kennel till 2yrs old and made a fine hound.
Several months ago my neighbor called and asked if i wanted a beagle, she was kenneled for 2yrs and never in the woods. i took her and 2nd trip she fell in with the pack and is making a fine hound. Many never have a chance if they fall into the hands of folks that wont hunt em.
I think in Reverend Parks book "Breeding Better Beagles" he states " if you got 2 from the same bloodline and one goes to a NewYork penthouse and one to a hunter, which will make the best dog ?
IMO if its in em to hunt it will come out regardless of age.

spado

Post by spado »

I had afriend give me a two and a half year old that had never been to the field. After about three times with the other dogs it just clicked and she was off and running. Turned out to be a pretty good hound.

jon cornett

Post by jon cornett »

I hope thats what these hounds do!!!!

BBOARDING3

Post by BBOARDING3 »

I got a pup and he started out as just a pet... I start taking him to the field when he was about 4 months old just to see if he would do anything. On his 1st birthday he started running. (9months and alot of gas later.) I hoping to get more time to run him and see if he turns out to be a good one.

high ridge joe

Post by high ridge joe »

Started one at 2 1/2 yrs...

warddog

Post by warddog »

We had one when I was a kid that didn't do anything buit just go with the older dog. When the older dog died this male was 3 years old and took off right where the old dog left off. He hadn't opened his mouth in 3 years and turned out to be a good one after that.

flash

Post by flash »

Hey Jon , I just recently started a 15 month old female . She is one of the better dogs that I feed . This dog was also a house pet the owners didn't want her anymore and were going to have her put to sleep . They told me of their plans and said if I gave them $10.00 to cover her shots I could have her . When I picked her up they gave me papers on the dog she was UKC registered . She is out of some really good blood one dog on each side is ARHA competition hall of fame . What a gem for $10.00
LPGRCH GRID IRON SUNDOWN BACK STREET TANK
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET
FLASH'S IMUS IN THE MORNING
2nd place is the first loser

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

I have started 2 reffett brood bitches at 4 and 5 years old.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

jlboomer

Post by jlboomer »

ive started several dogs that where over a year old have a 11 month old male now thats just starting to figure things out. Also i know of one man thats a rabbit hunter only and with his line of dogs he doesn't try and do much with them until there atleast a year old. before that he only works with them in the yard and lets them run around his farm some but he doesn't get serious until there a year and i must say he has some fine hounds. also i have a uncle that started litter mate sisters after they turned 2 and he wont take anything for them. my opionin is this alot of people exspect to much out of a real young pup to soon. they have to develop mentally and physically i really want start field work with a pup until its between 6 to 8 months old. and i have no problem keeping a well bred pup until its 2yrs old if its showing good sign exspecially if its a male because most seem to start latter then others.
J&M Beagles, Breeding for a true gundog and hunting partner

jon cornett

Post by jon cornett »

btt

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

I started a 6 yr old neutered male. House pet and super fat!! Once he started running rabbits he lost his extra weight.
The desire is always there, it just needs to be released.

LPB