AKC Papers

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sandcut beagles

AKC Papers

Post by sandcut beagles »

Hey there I'm new to this forum and I found this forum actually by trying to find the answer on what I'm getting ready to ask you guys. Okay heres the deal about 5 years ago I purchased a 6 week old bluetick beagle pup from a reliable guy. He told me that he was going to mail me the AKC papers to me for the dog but I never did recieve the papers. I was wondering If there was any way and how I could get those AKC papers for my dog which is 5 years of age. The guy who I purchased the dog from said both of the pups parents were AKC registered. I have no idea really what it means to be AKC registered but I heard if you want to participate in field trials some events require the dogs to be akc registered is this true? I'm sorry for all this trouble but I'm just now getting into this beagle stuff seriously so any help would be appreciated. Thanks alot

Justin

T Hynes

Re: AKC Papers

Post by T Hynes »

You cant hunt in AKC hunts without AKC papers on them but you can single register your dog with UKC and hunt it in the UKC hunts
Troy Hynes
Whitewater Kennels

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

You need to start by calling the guy you got the pup from and asking him about the papers. Ask him did he ever Register the litter, if he did then he should have been sent puppy papers. Ask him if he still has the puppy papers and if he does to send them to you. YOu can still register the dog but you will have to pay an extra fee for registering him late. If he never registered the litter then that is a whole different ball game. Find out from him what the status is first and then you can go forward from there based on what he says.

Big dog
Black and Tans, Blue Ticks, and a few others bringing smoke

sandcut beagles

Ok thanks alot both of you I'll call the fellow first but if he doesn't have the papers then how do I get the papers for the late fee and how much is usually the fine?

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

sandcut beagles wrote:Ok thanks alot both of you I'll call the fellow first but if he doesn't have the papers then how do I get the papers for the late fee and how much is usually the fine?
If you register 2 years late its 65.00 late fee but, I cannot find anything about 5 years. If the guy doesn't have the papers ask him for the registration #'s of both parents of the dog and then call AKC for instruction. They are usually really good about getting things done for registrations.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

If you cant get the papers from the guy who sold it to you, you cant register it in AKC.
You can still register it UKC or ARHA.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

If the litter was never registered then you are out of luck probably unless the breeder remember the sire and dam number and owns both and tries to register the litter this late in the date. Not sure if it can be done. IF the litter was registered and the puppy papers are lost the breeder will have to write a litter to akc and request duplicate pup papers. Then he can send them to you that is if he remembers which number pup goes with your hound.

Good luck to you.
OAK HILL BLUETICK BEAGLES

sandcut beagles

Ok well some of you said some things and some of you guys said other things but no problem there but who would I contact to get the papers for my dog?

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

You need to contact the guy you got the dog from. You know, that "reliable guy".

scootersjill

Post by scootersjill »

the first person you would call is the guy you got it from. if he said the sire and dam was akc registered he would have had to reg. the litter then he would have had a set of papers for each pup. he should have sent you a set for your pup so you could register it in your name.if he did not reg. litter then you still have to go to him to find out who breeder was .either way you have to find out if the litter was akc reg. hope this helps can get purty complicated in a deal like this. hope you didnt but may have got snookered. :approve: :approve:
skillet creek jammin jill RIP
skillet creek suzie Q
D-N-J"s Hammerin Hannah
Mike's Sunrise Scooter

sandcut beagles

Yeah no joke he probably not the relaiable guy that I thought he was lol. But anyways if he can't find the papers or if he can't remeber who the parents were is than any way possible I can get my dog akc registered? And if theres not then does that mean I can't participate in field trials? What all am I missing if I can't get my dog akc registered. I really appreciate everyone with all the help!

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

But anyways if he can't find the papers or if he can't remeber who the parents were is than any way possible I can get my dog akc registered?
No.
And if theres not then does that mean I can't participate in field trials?
It means you can not participate in AKC field trials. You can register you dog in UKC and ARHA because they have an open registry which AKC does not. You can trial you dog in these registries.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

If you can't get him registered AKC it's not the end of the world. The dog is 5 years old and you bought him as a puppy, so he must be a goodun' for you. Don't sweat, just register him with the UKC (United Kennel Club) and ARHA/NKC. Both of them are what's considered "open registries" which means they will single register a dog as long as it meets the beagle breed standard. Both registries have field trials, probably within a reasonable distance from you, and at 5 years old your dog still has a few years of fun left in campaigning him. 8-year-olds make Champion all the time. I bet if you tell the folks here where you're located, somebody will point you in the direction of a beagle club.

If you want to go to AKC trials, you can always start over with a "bonified" AKC registered pup or young dog who can learn from your older dog. The first thing I would recommend is to get up with some trialing beaglers in your area, watch their dogs run, see if they suit you, and if they do, the beaglers will help you get started. Guaranteed. ;) In the beagling family the motto is, "The more, the merrier."

Here are the links for:

United Kennel Club (UKC):
http://www.ukcdogs.com

American Rabbit Hunting Association (ARHA):
http://www.arha.com

Welcome to the board, and welcome to beagling!
Best of luck to you!

sandcut beagles

Ok thanks alot that really clears it up alot. But I have a question bout what you told me, okay if I can't get my dog registered then how do kennels get their 1st 2 dogs registered to start it all off? And on the UKC and the other one how do I register my dog for those two. Sorry for all the questions I'm a newbie at this whole beagle thing.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

In AKC, once the registry paper trail is broken, you cannot repair it. Nobody gets their first 2 dogs registered with AKC. It's been a closed registry for a long, long time. Both parent MUST be AKC registered, and any litters from them must be registered.