AKC rule change - May change Dog's Official Name

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

oakhill

AKC rule change - May change Dog's Official Name

Post by oakhill »

From the AKC

Under the new regulations, you may change the name of your dog provided the dog was whelped in the United States, has not produced or sired an AKC registered litter, or received an award at an AKC licensed or member event. Additionally, a dog first individually registered by the breeder or having a name containing a Registered Kennel Name cannot be changed without the written consent of the breeder or owner of the Registered Kennel Name.

If you would still like to change the name of your dog, and the name complies with the new rule, please complete the Dog Name Change Authorization form available for download by clicking: http://www.akc.org/pdfs/ADCG01.pdf
OAK HILL BLUETICK BEAGLES

Windkist

Re: AKC rule change - May change Dog's Official Name

Post by Windkist »

What a Crock! This really makes me mad! Now we have to make sure and register all the puppies ourselves or risk someone taking our kennel name off and changing the name. AKC gets paid twice.. how Convenient for them!

Leah "not very happy" Bertagnolli
Windkist beagles
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

JAMES ROLLINS

Post by JAMES ROLLINS »

I LIKE IT, IF I BUY A DOG SOMEONE ELSE HAS NAMED AND GAVE UP ON, PUT ALL THE HARD WORK INTO MAKING IT SOMETHING, THEN WHY NOT HAVE MY KENNEL NAME ON IT. JMO

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

In my opinion, changing a dogs name is a bunch of BS! I have never done it and never will. If you dont like the name of the dog DONT BUY IT!
Crane Creek Kennels

JAMES ROLLINS

Post by JAMES ROLLINS »

WHY WOULD YOU WANT YOUR KENNEL NAME ON A DOG YOU HAVE SOLD ANYWAY? SOUNDS LIKE A EGO THING. IF SOMEONE BUYS A DOG THEY SHOULD HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO CAll IT WHATEVER THEY LIKE.

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

Well, this was the situation I was in back last fall. I gave a pup from my kennel to a guy I went to school with for him to give to his grandson. This was bout 2 years ago I gave the pup away. Last fall I got a call saying the pup wouldn't stay home and was keeping the neighbors up all night running rabbits and they wanted to know if I wanted it back. I took the pup back but they had already registered the pup and given it a name. Now this pup came from my hounds and was 5 generations of my line and I wondered if I could change the name and put my kennel name on him. AKC said no but I got this email today which said I could.
OAK HILL BLUETICK BEAGLES

briarshakersdaddy

Post by briarshakersdaddy »

That rule has been on the AKC web site for some time now. Checked a couple of months ago and you could change. as far as getting double the reg fee it costs $40 to change. So if you change a dogs name they get triple out of it. Not counting cost to register a litter.
send me pedigrees

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

JAMES ROLLINS wrote:I LIKE IT, IF I BUY A DOG SOMEONE ELSE HAS NAMED AND GAVE UP ON, PUT ALL THE HARD WORK INTO MAKING IT SOMETHING, THEN WHY NOT HAVE MY KENNEL NAME ON IT. JMO
Because YOU did not breed it! You just bought it! I don't care how much work you put into it you'll never be the breeder.

Leah
Life's a trip

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

oakhill wrote:Well, this was the situation I was in back last fall. I gave a pup from my kennel to a guy I went to school with for him to give to his grandson. This was bout 2 years ago I gave the pup away. Last fall I got a call saying the pup wouldn't stay home and was keeping the neighbors up all night running rabbits and they wanted to know if I wanted it back. I took the pup back but they had already registered the pup and given it a name. Now this pup came from my hounds and was 5 generations of my line and I wondered if I could change the name and put my kennel name on him. AKC said no but I got this email today which said I could.
If you bred it I have no problem with you putting your name on it. What I do have a problem with is allowing anyone to change a dogs name whenever it suits them. I'm sorry but, I bust my ASS doing what I do and have worked hard for 20 years. If you buy a dog from me WINDKIST will be the prefix on its name. If you don't like that then don't buy it. Its not ego its about what is right and honest. I'll be naming everything now before it leaves here. What a pain in the butt!!!

FYI... This is NEW. They had a name change policy before which could be approved by the breeder of the dog. I was fine with that and would still be fine with it now. I will not have someone put their kennel name on a dog I bred! NOPE!

Leah
Life's a trip

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

i like the idea for one reason i got a young female last summer she is akc registered also arha/nkc but with 2 different names the guy i got her from registered her with different names in each registery i like the nkc name better n thats what i call her now i can change her akc to go along with her other name wow what a mess i wont take the kennell name of just her call name guess thats what ya call it :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :roll: :roll: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :oops: :oops: :oops: jb
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

mtneerbp

Post by mtneerbp »

The BREEDERS name will always be on the papers no matter what the BUYER calls his or her dog
BOB POST
MTNEER KENNELS
NORTH CENTRAL WV

BY HIS BLOOD I AM FORGIVEN

JAMES ROLLINS

Post by JAMES ROLLINS »

Because YOU did not breed it! You just bought it! I don't care how much work you put into it you'll never be the breeder.

Leah[/quote]
I DIDNT BREED IT, BUT I DID BUY IT. THE DOG NOW BELONGS TO ME. THE BREEDERS NAME WILL ALWAYS BE LISTED ON THE PAPERS. FOR YOU TO SELL SOMEONE A DOG AND TELL THEM THE PREFIX MUST BE YOUR KENNEL NAME IS A EGO TRIP IN MY OPINION.

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

mtneerbp wrote:The BREEDERS name will always be on the papers no matter what the BUYER calls his or her dog
As a breeder I track my dogs through pedigrees. IT will get to be impossible to know WHO bred what with a bunch of willy-nilly name changes. I'm sorry but, I'm against it unless its approved by the breeder and the kennel name stays the same. You could have a dog with some health issue and just change the name and nobody would know.. thats just one example. Its just another way for AKC to bring in more $$$$
Life's a trip

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

JAMES ROLLINS wrote:Because YOU did not breed it! You just bought it! I don't care how much work you put into it you'll never be the breeder.

Leah
I DIDNT BREED IT, BUT I DID BUY IT. THE DOG NOW BELONGS TO ME. THE BREEDERS NAME WILL ALWAYS BE LISTED ON THE PAPERS. FOR YOU TO SELL SOMEONE A DOG AND TELL THEM THE PREFIX MUST BE YOUR KENNEL NAME IS A EGO TRIP IN MY OPINION.[/quote]

How is it an ego trip!? Hell, it may not even be a good one but, at least I know I bred it when I look at pedigrees. If someone calls me and tells me they have "windkist so and so" I know I bred it. There is NO ego involved here just good common sense and pride.

Leah
Life's a trip

JAMES ROLLINS

Post by JAMES ROLLINS »

ITS THE SAME AS IF SOMEONE CALLS AND TELLS YOU THEY HAVE A DOG NAMED SO AND SO, AND IT WAS BRED BY YOU.
WHY IS IT EGO TRIP? I DONT KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT YOU MUST USE MY KENNEL NAME"WINDKIST!!"