How do you do what ya do?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

How do you do what ya do?

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Breeding seems to be the hot item now. First question Why have you chosen the line of hounds you have.Second question Do you run when its hot ? Why or why not? Third question When you do run how long do you run? What fault and they all got em are you seeing in your dogs? Be honest :nod:
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

bradadkins

Re: How do you do what ya do?

Post by bradadkins »

the line of hounds I run is old school stuff..stuff that has produced..i bred for myself for rabbit dogs first..that is where its at. I run some in the heat but my dogs don't know when to quite so ya gotta know when to pull the string..overheating is bad on the kidney's. In cooler times when I sit them down it is for a shift several hours of running..Jimbo ya know my running up here..a 2 hour rabbit race is about normal..a couple of those a morning usually does it. I rabbit hunt all day..so the dogs have to go that long too. I am happy with what I got right now..got a couple up and coming.. my line..Boldstroke..Henderson's stuff..and a little Spur. My .02 is people rely too much on the stud male and don't pay enough attention to the dam. A super nice female is where its at. :cool:
Adkins Bluegrass Beagles
That's How I Roll

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog »

i got what i like now through trial and error just like everyone else ...but i think i am as close to my idea of that great match as i am gonna get ...i have kept what i like and weeded through what i didnt..my ringo stuff is by far my foundation of my kennel as he is as close to perfect in my eyes as i will get..but what suits me might not suit you..i have added some outcrosses in and they seem to working out great i am still in the early stages of my lil science project but ..the lines i am crossing compliment each other so well i just cant see where i can go wrong ...but time will tell the rest of the story..i have added a few missing links through the last few years ...yes i run when its hot but i do agree you have to watch them ...overheating one will ruin them...but mine handle the heat just fine some lines do not ...anyway what i like and wht yall like are always gonna be different thats why there are so many to choose from...but i am happy with what i got may not be world beaters or the best there is but i like them well and i have some real strong young prospects right now that is straight out of my stuff...and i have a few young males that are gonna be outcrossed later down the road..i think i got all the peices to the puzzle just gotta get it put together...tracy
home of the tailess wonder ...
Glaserhollowbeagles. owners. Tracy & Bettina skiles 314-808-6291.Image

TC

Post by TC »

First question Why have you chosen the line of hounds you have.

We are breeding pretty much Our OWN lines now Due to outcrosses over the years.
We based our lines on Conformation to Start As we were just getting into Showing Dogs and loved the Disposition of the hound We had to start with. BUT she didnt have the Conformation we were wanting.
We took our Bitch (field/brace from the page lines) to a Show line (Applegate) to start kept all but one of her first litter.
bred a female from that litter back into Show lines...(Applegate/highgate) We have pretty much kept along these lines with a couple outcrosses to Field dogs with Very Good Conformation (More Hunt).

Second question Do you run when its hot ? Why or why not?

Yes We do. In Moderation building the hounds Stamina Up as we go we do this to help build up Endurance and stamina as well as keeping them fit.

Third question When you do run how long do you run?

This depends Entirely on the hounds Some can take the heat better than others and for a longer time.We will run in stages 2 hours one day 2.1/2 the next until the dogs get used to running for a longer and longer time period. We have different Styles and speeds of hounds so we run different packs on different days Sometimes in a brace or up to 4 hounds.
We have been known to run up to 5 hours at a time Again Depending on Circumstances Such as humidity A Water Source or lack of, type of Cover Beans/Corn vs Serica vs heavy Woods ect.

What fault and they all got em are you seeing in your dogs? Be honest.

Again Different Styles of hounds Each one has its own faults some are the same but in different degrees as far as our Show line Mainly lack of Voice and Control in a few And to much mouth and lack of foot in others.(but we are working on it)
In Some of our better Show dogs i would have to say the main fault is Control they tend to get a little loose on the line, as far as their Conformational Faults it would have to be Weak in the rear.....
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Newt

Post by Newt »

First question Why have you chosen the line of hounds you have?
I haven't found any that I like better. Believe me I have tried and am still working toward perfection.

Yes I do. As has been stated some dogs can handle it better than others. Some dogs have so much desire and don't have the physical and mental characteristics to run safely. A dog that has a lot of desire and a thick coat, IMO, is dangerous to itself. I've got a bitch that is seven that will run in extreme heat but will take a break and get water, cool down, and go back and resume the chase. I've seen her run from early in the morning until 3:00 PM in temps approaching 100 degrees Fahrenheit with no ill effects. She would stop occasionally and rest and go back and run some more. I don't let her run in those conditions anymore after I lost a dog from running in the heat.

It depends on several factors. The dog that I mentioned that I lost due to heat, died on a cloudy morning, the temp was probably around 80 degrees at noon. but it was humid. This dog would not quit had a thick coat, and was grossly over weight. He had been out about four hours. If I had been with him thirty minutes earlier he probably would have been ok. I watch them and if they appear to be laboring I stop them. If you know your hounds and they are in shape, and are ran often I think it is safe to run year round.

My dogs don't all have identical faults. None of them are mouthy but one, Josie, will bark over the end a little and l may double back on the trail and may open, at a hard check. However, most of the time she is right and is the most consistent at staying at a hard check and solving it.
They could all be a little closer at the check.
That is about the only faults/weaknesses that I find in my dogs. I have not been able to improve them much even though I have traveled a lot of miles, spent a lot of money, looked at a lot of dogs. They all have faults, you just have to eliminate the ones that ruin your hunt and keep the dogs that give the most enjoyment.

RiverBottom

Post by RiverBottom »

First question Why have you chosen the line of hounds you have?
I run mostly hare. The biggest limiting factor here in running rabbits is our winter conditions. I've looked long and hard for dogs that can run every day. I have three old dogs in the kennel now that are as close as anything I have seen. Every dog I raise here from now on with go back to these three. What I have found that works the best for me is lots of nose, lots of speed WITH CONTROL, and good conformation is a must have to keep a dog running in deep snow and hard crusty snow day after day. A good voice is not absolutely needed but I don't much enjoy hunting a dog without one.

If I can stand the mosquitoes I do, mostly at night. This year they are bad as can be. I have lots of rabbits (cottontails) in the yard and I often turn a dog loose alone to run for an hour in the morning while I am doing chores. I'm sorry but chasing cottontails isn't really hunting to me :???:

Sometimes just for an hour, sometimes all day, sometimes all night.

One line (of the three I mentioned above) that I have bred heavily are late starters and don't hunt real hard until they get older.

Another dog that I use a lot hunts too hard for many people. People make fun of me when I say I want my dogs to go hunting on their own and find the nearest hare even if it is a half mile or more away. This one does. He had to be broke off deer and it took lots of electricity to do it. He throws the kind of pups that will chew through the kennel wire to go hunting. They don't care if you come along or not. He handles very well for me, but without Tritronics this type of dog would be a pain to hunt.

Another fault I have that comes from two of the females mentioned above is that some of their pups don't like the gun and have to be broke from being gun shy. One of these throws an occasional pup that is shy around strangers and doesn't like to be caught. I can live with that but it is a fault. The male I mentioned above loves the gun and starts barking and trying to get out when he hears a gun go off so he works well to cross the others on.
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Murphy's Kennel

Post by Murphy's Kennel »

First Question: We have chosen the hounds we have today because of a male puppy we bought from MO a few years ago who is now dog heaven. Some of you may have seen him run and he was as close as what I want in a hound as I have ever seen. His name was Gr.R.Ch.Gr.B.Ch.Sandman3 he was a hound who had rabbit rage on a track(As one man said). Didn't swing to much and his fault in little pack was he couldn't count to 15. So he didn't let it break down 15 seconds to many times.CCCCCHHHHHHOOOOOPPPPPPPP ChopCHopCHopCHopChopChop and woulndn't let it loose. We crossed him with Northway, Satsuma and Birch Lake Mic female. They all are nice dogs and some show his charistics. Are nicest bitch is Dream and we have some pups out of Junie right now who should be a nice cross. Can't wait to see how they turn out. Cause hopefully he will put in there what she lacks( a little speed). Their strong traits should compliment each other and they should hit right. If so watch out! Oh yea got a 19 month Go Joe female you guys will see at the hunts this fall.
Second Question: Yes I do and have all summer. And will continue to run the rest of the summer. I run in the mornings and evening before dark. We usually run from 3 1/2 to 5 hours and actually have had some good running. Are Dream and Mini dogs can take the heat and have always ran them in the heat. I have a male who is as close to Sandman as I have seen and he's getting better everyday. He can take the heat and seems to do good in it. But have been running him in it so he is used to it. Guess thats why he doing well in the heat.
Third question: I usually run from 3 1/2 to 5 hours and it's usually from 6am to around 10:30 or 11:00. And when I run in the evening I run from 6:00 to 9:30 about dark.
4th question: NONE No I am just playing. The only dog I have here at this time is a male and he could be a hair faster and sometimes he thinks he has to over run when other dogs are pushing him. Wished sometimes he would leave them little ones alone cause he gets determined to run them and won't give up on them. When he usually barks other dogs bark with him but other dogs will give them up and come on in but he won't cause he thinks he can figure it out and he'll stay there and I will have to go get him. Been running with a friend alot and he's got some good dogs. One is a little tight mouth and one likes to try to run the front and over run with Bully usually and they both over run. My dog has more faults then this but he's hasn't been showing them lately so maybe he's grown out of them. But thats my answers for you guys. But don't get me wrong this dog isn't perfect by no means but let me tell you guys he's not a bad hound think he might just give his oh Dad a good name this year.
HOF Murphy`s Dreaming Demon Gr.R.Ch Gr.B.Ch Triple X's Tango

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. wrote:Breeding seems to be the hot item now. First question Why have you chosen the line of hounds you have.Second question Do you run when its hot ? Why or why not? Third question When you do run how long do you run? What fault and they all got em are you seeing in your dogs? Be honest :nod:
Guess i will give my opinion.1.I have chosen this line from the get go just because of grit and guts.Went and seen my first dog years ago from this line and could not quit thinking about it.
Bought in and been there since.Actually there hunt was the selling factor.

2.I run when its a hundred degrees or 9 degrees it seems like i run more when its 100 due to the fact the corn is 300 yards from my house.I dont think you can truly appreciate a dog till they have to run while stepping on there tongue,Any line can scream when its 50 degrees,few got the heart when its over 90 to run several hours.I still invite anyone to come any night just to run.
Been having screaming as of late, the later the better defintly not a working mans rabbit.

3.It has been generally from 630pm to 3.30am i go in around 12 but get up pretty regular to check on dogs as i can hear them well from the house.And yes they are running rabbits the whole time

4.Complaints Junie has been ill from day 1,Fighter per say.As he has gotten older he is ok now .
He introduced many a hound to what happens when you challenge him at a hole.I always hated that.Funny have not seen it in offspring at all.I always wished for another once of nose.But belive i got it now. Also after all these years my dogs are still hard headed when its time to go.
That may be my fault, Other than that maybe a little tight mouthed when young.Pretty happy overall.
:eyes:
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

I am fifty years young and have been messing with grade beagles since a kid but got more serious back in the late 1980's when I met a fellow by the name of Chuck Rittenhouse and bought my first two AKC beagles from Chuck. He introduced me to a local older gentleman named John Bland who knew his hounds and had seen Dingus McCrae run among other greats. Chuck and John gave me my real introduction to hounds and breeding hounds.
I have never been a trophy chaser but did trial in the early 1990's and had good success with a Birch Lake Texas T bitch that was a full 15" black and tan that could fly on a rabbit track. I put her in three trials and she placed in all but decided I just enjoyed running hounds and gun hunting and got out of the trialing circuit pretty quick.
My first line of hounds was SPO Small Pack style dogs. I had a lot of Short's blood but still carried about 1/4 hare hound blood going back to Dingus. My next transition was some Texas T breeding and Snow Run Boone dogs in the nineties and did well with that blood. Subsequently,I built a new home and moved so I started over again with my new line over three years ago and decided to give the Branko bloodline a try and after watching some Blueback breeding I chose to infuse those two bloodlines together. Currently, I have young males out of the same sire and two different Branko bred bitches. I have a total of five dogs in my kennel and will be picking up some Awful Bawlin blood this winter which will bring my kennel up to six hounds. I really do not like to keep over four, and six is the max.
I used to run in the heat of day quite often with my old line and they had unlimited desire. Since learning about kidney failure in hounds from overheating, etc. I do not run over a couple hours at a time in the heat of the day on most occasions. I prefer early morning and late evening running in the summer months.
When I gun hunt in the winter, we run from 5 to 8 hours and occasionally log around 14 hours of running over the weekends. My dogs have unlimited desire and all day endurance. This is something I look for in hounds and that is why conformation is so improtant to my breeding program.
Here is a quote from Jim McGuire concerning my foundation bitch (Jim has been conditioning her this summer since she dropped a 12 pup litter): "Belle is one of the all around nicest dogs I am running, and never causes problems of any type. She helps every chase and does it from within the pack. She is super straight and has never barked on anything but a rabbit. She is easily good enough to serve as the foundation to any kennel."
My 1.5 year old male is a nice dog but needs more time on the ground but has unlimited bottom and desire. Sometimes his foot outruns his nose but seems to be getting better at putting the brakes on. Blue likes to run hard and fast and I absolutely enjoy hunting over this hound. He does push a lot of rabbits to the hole.
Belle and Blue are with Jim and a pack of hounds in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan this week (edit: trip moved to next week) running hare. I am excited to hear how they do on hare since this will be a first experience.
My three 5 month old pups are running cottontail in the wild and seem to be good prospects but too early to say if any will be that "special once in a lifetime" dog that we all strive to breed.
In summary, I am very excited and pleased where my kennel and breeding program has taken me and have put much time in the field watching various bloodlines run as well as researching about bloodlines and running styles, genetics, etc. I am breeding for hard hunting run to catch style dogs with gears and brains with endless bottom/desire. It has been a great learning experience and a lot of fun.
Last edited by Pike Ridge Beagles on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

mtnwaykennel

Post by mtnwaykennel »

Ok here is why I do what I do.

I choose the line of hounds I have now because of one male and several females I had seen run. I compared them t oother popular lines and some local lines and just fell in love with the heart these dogs have. You can hunt on the hottest of days when the sun is high and the ground is dry and they will not give up the hunt! They may never jump one up in the mess but they will hunt till they can not walk the cramps off. I believe alot of stuff can be taught to a hound, but heart and drive is one thing I believe comes with the hound.

I answered the second question already... I run hot, cold, fast slow what ever the day may bring. Some of those hot dry days can make the hounds and myself question our heart and dedication, but after an hour of dry hunting a hound jumps one at last and when they pass... thy are all covered in dirt and dust from hunting it up... that makes me smile.

I run as long as I have to run. Myself works some strange hours.. and my kennel partners work some strange ones as well so we get ours when we can :cool:

What faults am I see'n.
Not as much hunt controll.. seems to swing wide when not finding anything. Some say that is a good thing, and it does not bother me that they go to find .. no matter how close or how far!!!

That's about it cept' I love the little boogers!!!

Bill Woods
276-698-0775. Holla at me!
We still doin' it the MtnWay!

RiverBottom

Post by RiverBottom »

"chew through the kennel wire to go hunting"

Dang, that is a pain!

I have a couple acres fenced in to turn the dogs out in every day. I have a few that will not stay in the wire and they don't get out. This morning I had 15 dogs out in the fence when a pickup came flying in the driveway, the guy said theres dogs all over the road :shock:

I caught a couple near the end of the drive way just as a big pack came screaming across the road farther down, right behind a rabbit and right in front of a pickup going 60 miles an hour :roll:

Got 'em all caught and no one got hurt (except maybe the rabbit). Looks like I need to run a couple hot wires!
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

RAD

Post by RAD »

1. Gameness
2. Yes/to see how game they are
3. When I want/Till Ive had enough
4 :eyes:
TRI STATE BEAGLES
EDDIE FREDERICK

No Fear In Their Eyes
No Quit In Their Hearts
No Respect For Their Own Body
(PMB)

Pine Mt Beagles

Post by Pine Mt Beagles »

HEY JIMBO
HOW'S THE HOUNDS DOING,OLE'' VOO-DOO'' WAS A LITTLE LIKE JUNIE ABOUT A DOG BUMPING HIM ,BUT WOULD NEVER START IT,I THINK A RABBIT HOUND,,THAT IS A TRUE RABBIT DOG (AND I HAVE ONLY SAW MAYBE A DOZEN IN 30 PLUS YEARS) WILL RUN ANY WHERE YOU PUT IT ,HOT, COLD, SNOW,RAIN,DRY,NO EXCUSES LITTLE RABBIT BIG RABBIT,THERE ARE VERY FEW IF ANY BLOOD LINES I HAVE NOT TRIED, AT ONE TIME,THE OLE CULLS I HAVE NOW ARE NOT FOR EVERY ONE,AND I AM ALWAY'S TRING TO IMPROVE ON THEM .THE THING I LIKE MOST ABOUT THEM IS-- NO QUIT--A LOT OF THE HUNTERS I HAVE RUN WITH DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS... I BREED FOR MY SELF AND IF THEY DO GOOD IN THE TRIALS THAT IS GOOD IF NOT THAT'S ALRIGHT TO ....HEY GOOD LUCK AND----
KEEP'EM RUNNING
PINE MT BEAGLES

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered

JCM

Post by JCM »

This is a great question with interesting responses.

1. Why have you chosen the line you have?

When we first started running in ARHA, Jeff Milton had a line of dogs that could absolutely run the most rabbit. We got some of his breeding including JF Boadie. We crossed this with a line of old KY rabbit dogs crossed with Copper Boy from John Sexton including Sexton Branko Nada and Sexton's Chopper. This produced dogs like Logan Elm Blue Rocky and Cara's Blue Belle. We then wanted a little more edge and brought in Sexton's Hobo and this produced Logan Elm Mr. Willie, Molly, Katie, Neal, and some others. After 12 - 15 years with these dogs, we still don't really have "our line." Our success is due to many who have bred before us, like John Sexton, Jeff Milton, and some AKC field trialers. We are still more likely to outcross, if we see an individual that has the characteristics we really like.

2. Do you run when it's hot?

We run every day, but the summer is what makes dogs. I think running in the heat, on tough dry conditions will make an average dog into a good dog and it will make a good dog into something special. When it is really hot though, we always run where there is water, either a creek or pond for dogs to get into to cool down.

3. How long do you run?

Hours and hours and hours. We try to give dogs all they want, and then just a little more. To me quitting is by far the most severe fault. If a dog ever walks out of a race, he better be so sick he can't run for a week, or he will be so sick it won't matter.

4. What fault?

The biggest fault in our dogs has consistently been that they don't do well in little 3 acre patch woods, or running on RR tracks. When we get beat in a cast, it is usually because there wasn't much running and 50 or 60 points won the cast. It seems like it takes 15 minutes or so for our dogs to settle in and get in the groove. We know this is a fault, but think it is a trade-off to have dogs that will hunt and run in big areas for long periods of time.

Thanks to all who shared about your kennel, and for allowing me to ramble.

sanfordssj

Post by sanfordssj »

Why have you chosen the line you have?

Everything started with a little Turbo/Boldstroke female pup. I have only been running beagles for about 8 years, but really only started to pay attention to papered dogs the last 5 to 6 years. I got caught up with researching my female’s pedigree and things took off from there. I got my first issue of the Beagler and seen Logan Elm Kennels on one of the add pages, and the fact that they where here in Ohio got me started on looking at stud dogs (Sextons Chopper, Blue Rocky, and Willie). i knew what i wanted but liked the Turbo dogs so much that i bought a couple along the way. Then Sport popped up for sale and i knew that i had to have him. Sure i knew what line control, foot speed, etc...was, but i never grasped how a dog could put it all together until i got my hands on him. I knew Reggie was on the way up in the beagle world so i picked up a nice double turbo female out of him. She is SUPER FAST, not really what i like, but very exciting to watch her run. She gets into trouble every now and then, but can usually get back on track before most dogs catch her. Right now I’m just keeping track of 3 littermates that are placing in almost every trial.

Anyways, i also have followed Blueback (Coty's Blue Bogus & Dutch), Ninja (Timberjack), and Jo jo Blue (Rebels Last Chance) dogs trying to find something i like. All of these are super nice lines that can get the job done. I have sold a few dogs and moved a few around based on traits that i want to keep. Everything is going to be geared around old Sport. I think he is the total package. May not be the best out there, but he is the best i have! I have super tough females now that line up great with him. So now I’m ready to try my hand at breeding a few pups. I have learned a lot from friends, and some of the old timers on here. I'm not perfect and have made a few mistakes over the years, but I’m having fun!

My goal is to line breed turbo to the traits i like (med to med fast, GOOD line control, no fear style dogs). Once i get those couple of dogs i want to go back to the Logan Elm line that hooked me in the first place. Logan Elm Kennels by far has some of the best running dogs out there, and anybody who hasn't seen those needs to!
HOLLARBACK KENNELS
FC Reggie's Fast Cash
FC Moss's Tula
Hollarback's Reggie's Fast Holly
McDavids KY Lucky Charm
Hollarback's Hurry Up Mercy
Hollarback's Cinnamon Run Zebby