URGENT - Injured Pup - What do I do?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beaglerun

URGENT - Injured Pup - What do I do?

Post by beaglerun »

I have a litter of pups on the ground that maybe 5 days old. I was out of town when the were born and I am not sure of how old they are. I can tell you that there eyes haven't opened yet.

Anyway, when I came home this evening I noticed the dam barking at the dog next door. Some how :???: one of the pups wondered out of the whelping box. The Sharpie next door had bitten it on the nose. The flesh that seperates the two nostrils is split down the middle. The pup has calmed down, but still in pain. He is huddled up with the rest of the litter, but I don't think he is going to be able to nurse. What if anything can I do?

This is a picture of the pup before he was injured.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj15 ... hocoJr.jpg
Nothing could be finer!

kgsc68

Re: URGENT - Injured Pup - What do I do?

Post by kgsc68 »

I guess you have to use your own judgement. If you notice that the pup cant nurse then take it to the vet. If it can nurse then keep the wound clean and keep a close eye on it. Hope it turns out OK.

wvduece

Post by wvduece »

if it cant nurse ya might have to bottle feed it
.ImageJUST AS JOHN SEES IT

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

When my kid were little and they had a cold, they would nurse then stop to get a breath, then nurse again. If the bleeding stopped and mom cleaned him up he sould be ok.
Put a board accross the bottom front of the door way about 6-8" tall, this shoud scarpe the pups off the tit as mom goes in and out... ;)

hammerenpatch

Post by hammerenpatch »

If the pup is doing ok then I would take care of the dog next door

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

Dog bites are infectious and especially to a young puppy who's immune system is not fully formed. Please take him to the vet and let them see what needs to be done. This puppy will need an antibiotic and perhaps stitches.

Make the lip of the box higher so they aren't dragged out on a tit.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I believe the other way, a dog"s mouth is really very clean, it is the human mouth that is nasty... ;)
A dog will lick and clean it's own wounds and healing progresses. Ever notice how some hounds will take notice of a cut on your hand and want to lick it. I have seen dogs pull out ligaments and lick wounds that healed fine on their own. Forth years ago most of our dogs would have died if not for their own powers of self-healing... ;)

beaglerun

Post by beaglerun »

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. The pup is doing fine right now. I was at work all day (7:00 am - 8:00 pm) so I haven't had much time to spend with him. His wound is looking pretty good. Right now it is very clean looking, and the pup doesn't appear to be in pain.

I did get a chance to watch him nurse some yesterday. I also noticed that his eyes were opened tonight when I got home. I must admit, that he is one tough little sucker. If he lives, I am going to keep him. I had started calling him Spit'N Image (Mige) because he looks so much like his father. I think I am going to change it to Scar-Face (Scar).

Anyway, thanks again for the support. I really needed it.

BeagleRun
Nothing could be finer!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I'd guess he's 10-12 days old, glad you puppy is doing well.
I took the board off the front of my box a few days ago as a couple of the pups were climbing up and falling out, their 4 weeks old today. I'd been giving them puppy milk & baby rice the last week and when I let them out, they went straight over to the mama's pan and starting eating her food. It was so funny for after they got satisfied on the kibble, they all piled into her pan and went to sleep, I should have taken a picture... :lol: