Breeding

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

hammerenpatch

Breeding

Post by hammerenpatch »

Can a female become Pregnant whith out actually being Knotted up?

LR Patch

Re: Breeding

Post by LR Patch »

Mike , I ask my vet this very question about 3 yr. ago , I was trying to breed a female , it was a little late in her cycle & never got a tie between the 2. He said it was possible but very highly unlikely. I didn't get pups & over the years I heard other with this same question , with the same results I got " 0 " .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Newt

Post by Newt »

According to the owner of FC Rabbit Ridge New Your Nick, they can. Nick was injured and could not make a tie. He sired several pups after that accident according to his owner.

hammerenpatch

Post by hammerenpatch »

Well still no tie he has been inside her for about 2 seconds then she will roll out from under him this has happened on 5 or 6 diff. times she is an older gyp from Mike Cappozzi's patch kennel in up state NewYork and my Gunner male. This is his first time he has fiqured it out.
I can't fiqure out why they won't tie up.

hammerenpatch

Post by hammerenpatch »

Randy, this is the 4th day since she stopped bleeding so she is prime. Stands , flags and everything I considered switching males and using Bo but if their is a slight chance that
Gunner could get the job done with out a tie I guess I'll have to wait and see. That way I know for sure who the sire is.

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

About 4 years ago Mike Claybaugh & myself were trying to breed my old Yates bred male to his female & the same thing you described kept happening. We tried all day & late that evening decided he would hold his female & when the male made his entry I held him, by pushing against his rump, holding them together for about 20 or 30 seconds, when we released them they were tied. He was just slow to swell I guess, She had 3 pups, unfortunately she only raised 1.
I guess a lot of people thought we were a couple of perverts, this all took place at an interstate truck stop in Kentucky.
The things we will do for these old dogs !
This may not be your trouble because I doubt your male is old as was our case, but may be worth a try.
Mike Yates used to tell me, "Success in getting pups, is like chasing women, its a young mans game!"

Good luck to you,
Plowboy

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

Believe me! you can get a bitch pregnant without a tie. If your dog is not able to make a tie then you need to hold him in place until he has finished ejaculating. Its really pretty simple. You'll likely need 2 people for this. One to hold the bitch and one to help the dog. Once he gets going if he isn't going to tie her you can hold your fingers behind the bulb of his penis for about 3 or 4 minutes. He might try to turn so let him. Afterward if she pulls away then put her up in a crate for about 30 min. If he is really trying and she is standing you might want to check for an obstruction and if there is none then use some K-Y Jelly to help him out. You may also try collecting him in a container and inseminating the bitch if necessary.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

Windkist wrote:Believe me! you can get a bitch pregnant without a tie. If your dog is not able to make a tie then you need to hold him in place until he has finished ejaculating. Its really pretty simple. You'll likely need 2 people for this. One to hold the bitch and one to help the dog. Once he gets going if he isn't going to tie her you can hold your fingers behind the bulb of his penis for about 3 or 4 minutes. He might try to turn so let him. Afterward if she pulls away then put her up in a crate for about 30 min. If he is really trying and she is standing you might want to check for an obstruction and if there is none then use some K-Y Jelly to help him out. You may also try collecting him in a container and inseminating the bitch if necessary.

Leah

I would try AI. It is almost 100% and I see that being the future of breeding beagles as it has become the standard for horses and cattle here.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

hammerenpatch wrote:Well still no tie he has been inside her for about 2 seconds then she will roll out from under him this has happened on 5 or 6 diff. times she is an older gyp from Mike Cappozzi's patch kennel in up state NewYork and my Gunner male. This is his first time he has fiqured it out.
I can't fiqure out why they won't tie up.
Mike, now that he's been inside her I wouldn't change males, it is slim but there is a chance he fertlized her, if you change males you could have the litter sired by two males and have to DNA the whole lot.
Do what plowboy offered and you should get a tie.(only away from the Interstate :lol: )
Best-o-luck... ;)