Bloodlines ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BriarCreekBeagles

Re: Bloodlines ?

Post by BriarCreekBeagles »

Don't get me wrong I have mostly registered dogs in my kennel, All but one bitch. the registered dogs I have are out of Alibaba blood, Buckey Ninja Blue Boy, and some Northway breeding, I guess I am looking for that hidden Jewel of dogs that aren't trialed and can run to catch with feirceness. Not that the hounds that I have don't do a great job because they do But I am looking for something exceptional ( I know they are few and far between ) but I ain't never find something I ain't looking for :D
Alot of good points posted here and I agree overall, Like I said just looking for something special. I already have some great hounds, but am looking for another bloodline to add in something more
"My Goal in life is to be the kind of person my hound thinks I am"
2 Cor. 10:4
Tuff Gun Beagles
Tuff Gun Mr. Breeze, Huff's Briar Bustin Outlaw, Coming home-Lone Acres Ax Grinder

Newt

Post by Newt »

BriarCreekBeagles wrote:I se alot hounds for sale on here out of alot of trial dogs but wheres all the good gun dog bloodlines?
I believe they are in rabbit hunters kennels The reason that you don't see them advertised is because their owners know what they have and are happy with them.

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog »

all of the hounds that i run prove it under the gun before they step foot in a trial..i am a rabbit hunter first ..i only hit the big trials and the main reason is to b.s with guys i am good friends with that i would not see other wise..i have got the blood i want now and believe i am as close as i am ever gonna get to the exact thing i want out of a beagle..it has been alot of trial and error but i believe i have arrived at my destination...might not be what you like but i like them and when i choose to trial them they have won or placed in akc midwest,ukc,arha lp...but first and foremost they perform under the gun..that is my main concern i have no use for a hound that can win a hunt but cant circle a rabbit ...nor would i feed a world champion ifc or any other title dog that is gunshy..and i sure wouldnt trial a hound like that regardless of how well he or she is at winning in trials...in my opinion that is winning under false pretences...but there are several champions out there that cant circle a rabbit solo or gunshy or both...and the thing that bugs me the most is guys will breed to this hound and in my opinion that is absolutely not bettering the breed...jmho...gunshy ,no heart,and cant do it solo..will not eat here period nor would i have the nerve to campaign this type of hound regardless of how many hunts he won...
home of the tailess wonder ...
Glaserhollowbeagles. owners. Tracy & Bettina skiles 314-808-6291.Image

BriarCreekBeagles

Well Put Yellowdog.
Tuff Gun Beagles
Tuff Gun Mr. Breeze, Huff's Briar Bustin Outlaw, Coming home-Lone Acres Ax Grinder

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

I Think what you need is a good ol patch dog ;)
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

briarshakersdaddy

Post by briarshakersdaddy »

Just Bought a female a Few months back.[ From Vermont] Has 2 wins and places in LP on hare. Had never ran a cottontail before she came to Kentucky. Has a little different hunt than a true cottontail dog but the frist time out she locked on to a cottontail and ran it. Did not try to out run her nose but slowed down to keep it going. Only had her out a few times this summer because of 90% heat and high Humity. But she is alresdy running right up there with a female I have that is a Cottontail[gun] dog. Will Be trailing and Gun Hunting them both this Fall. Personaly If I could not trial and hunt the same dog you could not give it to me. IF It's Not a GUN Dog Its not worth having.
send me pedigrees

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

Don't know much about your LP dogs, but 90% of ours are usally hunted hard all winter. And as far as saying the running is easy??? Maybe you just leave your gun dogs at home in the kennel when the heat is on in the summer woods ? The scenting conditions are just as bad in the heat and nose power will show. I guess we just have so many Hare around here that rabbit hunting is a very popular sport.

BriarCreekBeagles

Yeah I'm like you Nor'easter I like to run'em when it's tough, seperates the real hounds from the porch hounds :D
Tuff Gun Beagles

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

We've had cottotail bloodline dogs up here and they're just too slow for what we're acustomed to. It's hard to tell if they have better nose power/control because when a dog is moving slower it is closer to the line ofcourse. Some of our hare dogs are slow like that and you think they have more nose, but the littermate may just fly on the hare so it could be just the natural bred in energy the dog has in it.

sgc

Post by sgc »

Nor 'Easter, I have wondered, too, if the slower dog with its nose to the track has a superb nose or just has a good nose but is closer to the smell. Its an interesting question. I have seen faster dogs though that could run in real bad conditions where I knew they had a superb nose.

Boomerx

Post by Boomerx »

sgc wrote:Nor 'Easter, I have wondered, too, if the slower dog with its nose to the track has a superb nose or just has a good nose but is closer to the smell. Its an interesting question. I have seen faster dogs though that could run in real bad conditions where I knew they had a superb nose.
I've seen this in person, when my buddy Geoff Montgomery finished his FTCH Bobby On And On in LPH trials at the age of 3. From all appearances, Bobby was a heads-up runner who always ran in the front of the pack. He could dominate, or he could be rough. Bobby was a littermate to my FTCH Winterbourne Boomerang, who was a closer, cooler type hound that everyone thought had a much better nose than Bobby. I got Bobby back at the age of 10 from a fellow who had done nothing but gun with him for 7 years. He was much slower and closer then (due partially to running alone, and also because his age wouldn't let him do what he did as a 2-3 yr. old hound. It was then I realized that he too, had a wonderful nose (probably as good as Boomer's). I put him in 2 trials just for fun and he got a first and a second, and most of his score came from checkwork and picking the line when no other hounds could smell it. He always had been a great snowhound, but because he made it look so easy, we never realized how good his nose was. I'd expect this hound of John Davidson's in Maine (Hammer) is this type of hound (superior nose that can just fly on a track in tough conditions.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

There aint nothing prettier than a hound with a big nose and an honest mouth that runs with it's head up and can deliver the mail no matter how bad the weather.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Pike Ridge Beagles wrote:There aint nothing prettier than a hound with a big nose and an honest mouth that runs with it's head up and can deliver the mail no matter how bad the weather.

You got that right.
However, it doesn't get much uglier than a dog that runs with his head up, over runs the end of the line, and doesn't have a clue where the line ended. Then he goes rabbit hunting or repeatedly watches and waits for the other dogs who recovers the check.

beaglerun

Post by beaglerun »

Oh it does get much uglier. :bigsmile:

What about that dog that "me too" every race, and is standing right on top of the check and doesn't have a clue. He's too busy looking around for the next "me too hymn" found on page 219 of the hymnal.

Better yet what about that dog that skirts on the outside and in the middle of a check he/she opens up and pulls all the other dogs off onto trash.

:bomb:

BeagleRun
Nothing could be finer!