Running when it is dry?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rayford

Running when it is dry?

Post by rayford »

Temperature in the 80's and dry. How long a length of time can your beagles smell a rabbit after he has come through. Five -ten-fifteen minutes or longer?
Seems like mine can only smell one up to fifteen minutes. Is this normal? I need a lot of input on this. Thanks

Buckeye Blues

Re: Running when it is dry?

Post by Buckeye Blues »

The drier it is the tougher it is. I've noticed this especially when out in the open when the rabbit isnt rubbing against brush and leaving body scent. If my pup is on a good track running through brush and the rabbit breaks out of cover and hits dry cracked ground she can have a real hard time.

Thats my experience anyway.

movalleyal2038

Re: Running when it is dry?

Post by movalleyal2038 »

We run alot on reclaimed strip mines with alot of bare shale ,and under pine trees with the ground covered up to 3 inches of dead needles.
It makes for some poor scenting, on some days when its dry its hard to keep a fresh track going.I have had people come and run with me and their dogs cannot run at all.I start all my pups in these areas and do ok when its dry and hot,but I sure wouldnt want to try to sell a dog on these days.

Al