Will my 2 yr old get any better?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Lancer

Will my 2 yr old get any better?

Post by Lancer »

Hello to all,
I just joined the forum. I've been reading the posts for about 3 wks now. I've had a few beagles over the years but never more than one at a time. I now have Ellie who is
about 2 yrs old and is a full fifteen inches. She is maybe the best jump dog that I have had. she has a very good voice and tries to push the rabbit hard. She is by far the
fastest running dog that I have ever had. The problem is that she typically runs past a check and doesn't always return to the point that she lost it, but instead starts to swing
back and forth running forward. I run her about 4 times a week and have done so for the last 3 months. I've noticed that she does seem to be running the rabbits a little more smoother as time goes by. I'm hoping that she will continue to get better at handling the checks. At what age does a beagle usually "top out"? I've put more work into her
(if you can call it that, I really enjoy running her) than any of my other dogs. She just seems to be behind in her ability to circle the rabbit compared to my other dogs that I
have had. I'm retired now and have the time to put into her if you tell me there is a chance that she will handle the checks better as she ages. I don't really get a chance to hunt very much with other beaglers so I really can't compare her to other dogs. If there are any beaglers around the Big Rapids, Michigan area that wouldn't mind taking a look at her please let me know. All of your comments are appreciated.
Thank you

Catfish

Re: Will my 2 yr old get any better?

Post by Catfish »

Give her time. At Two she will start puting it together, when she turns Three, she will look like a PRO. She will top out when She gets around Five. She is just getting over being a Pup. It all sounds like she going to be something. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Catfish:
The best music is a pack of hounds pounding a rabbit track
R.ch Bad News Hunter
R.I.P. R.ch Haywood's come Back Kid
R.I.P Gr. R. Ch. Haywood's Precious Lady Garlick

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

Catfish is right about topping out at around 5, and let me add this. As long as she is healthy, she will give you that veteran hound experience for 5-6 really good years after the age of 5, with a year or two as a trainer for unstarted pups as a bonus. The problems you describe are youth and enthusiasm. BE careful what you run her with and the kind of pressure you put on her to be perfect. They are hounds and nothing more or less, and they are a lot like people in that they respond differently to different kinds of pressure. Be patient with her, it has taken me 48 years to figure that out about hounds. Good luck and welcome to the board.
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

Ramey hit it right on keep the undue pressure off her til she
matures dont sound like she will be a "back to the Point "type but should get so she works the quick check out and goes with it
If you pressure her too much she will get rougher than she should be
SOLO SOLO most of the time and you will continue to enjoy her

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

just keep soloing her
she may never be plum smooth
but she will get better and has plenty time
4 to 6 years old a dog tops out
give or take just depends on the dog

Newt

Post by Newt »

Just curious, can this dog consistently circle a rabbit solo, or does it need help?

Lancer

Post by Lancer »

Thank you all for replying so fast. I've had Ellie since she was a puppy and even though she spends the nights in the kennel she' s very close to the family.
She does circle the rabbit at least one time most of the time when she jumps one. She does appear to search actively for the track when she misses the
check. Since I run mostly at night because of the hot daytime temps and now because of bow season starting I really can't see what she is doing. She is
a sweet dog that handles well and runs only rabbits. Your comments have really given me a lot of hope for this dog. I will continue to solo her often and
give her as much practice doing what she loves to do --- chasing bunnies. Thanks again for your comments.
Lancer

jumpmaster

Post by jumpmaster »

I know your dog will get better as it gains expierence, but she will probably always have the same style for life. If you were running with fast dogs that were dominating your youg hound, I would tell you to solo alot, and your dog would slow down, but you stated that you run alone all the time, so that is just the way she is bred to run. If she circles most of the rabbits one time, you should kill plenty with her.

Newt

Post by Newt »

"She does circle the rabbit at least one time most of the time when she jumps one. She does appear to search actively for the track when she misses the
check."

I agree with Jumpmaster, If your dog has had plenty of time in the field, and you indicated that it had, then what you see is what you are going to get. In my experience a dog will get faster and rougher as it matures until it reaches a point in life where its body begins to wear out then it will naturally slow down. Working a check from the inside is genetic.