checking in

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BEAGLEBLUES

checking in

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

do you like a dog that checks in with you if they do not jump something in a reasonable amount of time. i am haveing a tough time with a gyp that does not want to stop. I know that this might not seem like a problem to some, but i try to run these dogs and work twelve hour shift work as well. findinng somewhere to run these dogs are hard with deer season so close that the places that i am left with does not seem to be the best habitat for bunnies. so a fast jump is not always the case. just wondering if there was a way to make them check in. she is the only one out of the pack that does not stop if asked.

Ky. Hunter

Re: checking in

Post by Ky. Hunter »

"just wondering if there was a way to make them check in. she is the only one out of the pack that does not stop if asked."

A small zap from the e-collar will make them check in although I usually train mine to the tone on the collar and that works fine for me.

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

I have a e collar, but I have always used them for labs, I don't feel totally comfortable using it. I have heard horror stories from people that loose dogs and collars from not knowing how to properly use them. any advise?

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Yeah I like a dog that checks in. If your dog is not wanting to come in put a bell on it. That way you can judge where the dog is in the brush. Atleast you'll know what area she is in. Just listen for the bell. Try that out.

But you should really start working on getting her to come back in. I like to use the tone feature on my e-collar. Just a couple tones and they usually come on in. You don't have to shock all the time.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

DO YOU ALL HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE COLLARS OR BELLS GETTING HUNG IN THE VINES AND BRUSH

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

BEAGLEBLUES wrote:DO YOU ALL HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE COLLARS OR BELLS GETTING HUNG IN THE VINES AND BRUSH
Nope. Beening running bells reg collar with my name on it and also the e-collar at the same time.

i was trying to find a pic of my dogs. I know I have them somewhere with them wearing all there gear. I have this video clip of the bells on the collars. Just picture a e-collar behind the orange collar

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

NICE LOOKING HOUNDS I'LL TRY THE COLLAR AND WHISTLE TRICK. PROBABLY THE BELLS ALSO

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

she is the only one out of the pack that does not stop if asked.[/quote]

DID I MENTION THAT SHE IS ALSO THE BEST ONE THAT i HAVE IN THE KENNELS

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

BEAGLEBLUES wrote:she is the only one out of the pack that does not stop if asked.
DID I MENTION THAT SHE IS ALSO THE BEST ONE THAT i HAVE IN THE KENNELS[/quote]

I'd try on the lowest setting first. Just try calling her in a few times and if she doesn't respond give a tiny zap on the lowest setting. Then call her in again and wait. Repeat till she comes in. I'd say the first few times just take it as easy as possible. If your not getting anywhere then bump up the level of shock a tiny bit more.

You'll get her to come it just take a little bit of time.

later

-Joey

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I put my bells on the e-collars so when I put the e-collar on the bells are on also and like Joeyman I run the e-collar and my regular collar at the same time and have never had any problems with them getting hung up. One more thing, if your dog is not used to the e-collar, you might want to start your collar training at home before you zap her in the wild. Some dogs will run off if they are not used to being hit with the e-collar because they don't know what is happening to them.

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

I THOUGHT THAT I WOULD TRY STARTING HER AT THE HOUSE WITH A LONG (50') LINE AND START JUST LIKE SHE WAS A PUP

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

"I THOUGHT THAT I WOULD TRY STARTING HER AT THE HOUSE WITH A LONG (50') LINE AND START JUST LIKE SHE WAS A PUP"

That's the way I always do it.

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

I spent a day working with the little gyp at the house. then I took her to the field yesterday. they were working a cold track and she decided that she wanted something alittle hotter and went on plum out of hearing. I used the whislte and gave her time. then i used the whistle again and the majic button, and in less than a minute she was checking in. SHe did not want to go anywhere but right by me feet, so I leashed her and the male dog jumped. she decided that she could not stand it no more, and she had to go. after that, she hunted just like she should. I just want to say thanks to all the information that you all gave. It seemed to work like it should. i am going to take her out tomorrow for the last time until after deer season. hope that she remembers after the two week break. again thanks :D :D

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

I THOUGHT THAT I WOULD TRY STARTING HER AT THE HOUSE WITH A LONG (50') LINE AND START JUST LIKE SHE WAS A PUP
With the right tools and good sense "you can teach an old dog new tricks".
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

glad to hear it worked.