tryin to improve my above grounds

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

andrew_kirby

tryin to improve my above grounds

Post by andrew_kirby »

I have two above ground kennels there great. But i am wondering what you guys do to keep underneath of them clean thinkin bout puttin some sort of metal slide or pan underneath to keep the actual ground from gettin nasty. also what do you guys do to clean the cedar slats off in the runs or disinfect....also i feed histandard dog food and love it but some guys say that there dogs crap is hard and just falls through but my one males dont do that it sticks to the slats anybody find a food that seems to keep the mess to a minimum

Boomerx

Re: tryin to improve my above grounds

Post by Boomerx »

My buddy, who lives in town, had a sheet metal fabrication place make him galvanized metal pans (with 1" folded edges) to fit under his wire runs. He hung these off metal straps that tilted the pans towards the front and to one side, where they ran into a plastic pan he'd empty daily. He said they greatly improved the smell of his kennel area. Terry McBride

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Boomerx wrote:My buddy, who lives in town, had a sheet metal fabrication place make him galvanized metal pans (with 1" folded edges) to fit under his wire runs. He hung these off metal straps that tilted the pans towards the front and to one side, where they ran into a plastic pan he'd empty daily. He said they greatly improved the smell of his kennel area. Terry McBride
I had a couple "crap catchers" made as well, I had them make mine out of aluminum because the urine kept ruining my galvanized ones. Great investment in my opinion.

DoubleEagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

For the smell and mess I'd check out the Thread titled: "What do I do about the smell?" under The Kennel section here. One of the people who replied had a real good idea for using Redworms. If you love to fish like me it's a win-win set up.

gunner

Post by gunner »

Put a thick layer of cedar shavings under the kennel and rake up the poo about once a week. I feed sportsmix and as soon as it comes out it's hard enough to break a window. :hammer: :hammer:
"HONEST HOUND OWNERS MAKE HONEST HOUNDS"
Ben Riggs 270-766-9417