DIFFERENT SPEEDS

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BEAGLEBLUES

DIFFERENT SPEEDS

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

I WAS WONDERING IF YOU ALL KNEW IF A PUP, FROM A DIFFERENT BREEDING, WOULD TAKE THE TRAITS OF THE DOGS THAT IT RAN WITH. I REALIZE THAT A PUP WILL TAKE THE TRAITS OF THE PARENTS, BUT IF YOU TAKE A FAST BLOOD LINE AND STARTED THEM WITH A SLOW PACK OF DOGS, WILL THAT PUP TAKE THAT STYLE OF RUNNING? THIS MAY BE A STRANGE QUESTION, BUT I WAS JUST WONDERING.
THANKS
JAMEY

rabbitearl

Re: DIFFERENT SPEEDS

Post by rabbitearl »

I don t breed that much but I would have to say no.Take two wakie talkie and breed them and get the pups to run med.I don t think so.But never try it.

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

I know that the serious trialers who run slower dogs do not like to run them with dogs with a lot of foot. It may be more because they will pick up bad habbits trying to run faster than that what they were bred for. Good question.

daustin

Post by daustin »

They will to an extent. If you run a medium speed dog with fast dogs then it will run faster to keep up but learn some bad habits along the way. If you run a fast pup with a slower dog they will eventually run ahead, but should learn to use their nose a little better, but also pick up any bad habits of the dogs its running with.

Dane

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

from what i have seen a dog will pick up habbits from the others it runs with you can make a smooth running dog get rough if it is ran with rough dogs all the time i think it is the compatition that dose it to them beagles are competitive

Tim H

Post by Tim H »

You may see some change but the dog, as it matures, if it is running the rabbit, will find the speed that fits it best. Trying to change the speed of a hound through training when it's not due to a fault, seems to be focused on changing things just for the handlers preference and not for the betterment of the hound. Fast or slow doesn't make a hound good or bad. So unless there is a fault in the hound due to running either too fast or too slow trying to change their speed would risk causing a fault in the hound rather than improving it's performance.
"Watch your dog and SHUT-UP"

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

No, plain & simple. Your dog will not be running at it's natural speed and will not contribute to the smooth running of the pack. Been there, tried that. Just sold a phenomenal male who I had hoped wouldn't be as fast as he was bred to be. If you run a slow pup w/ fast dogs, you'll blow him up. If you run a fast pup w/ slow dogs, eventually that pup will take the front of your pack, and will prob. fit right in for a few months. Then it will start to pull away and stretch your other dogs out. They will be running to keep up and not getting enough (if any) of the rabbit. They'll pick up bad habits as skirting brush/obstacles, cutting corners, and banging around in a check. Again, trust me, I've seen it many times. If the blood isn't a similar style, save yourself the headace and sell that pup or your pack & rebuild around the pup.
Playboy Kennels - Got rabbit? ~ (703) 989-4079 ~ PlayboyKennels@gmail.com

Home of FC OTIS' BIG JOHN

Past home of FC DEATON'S BO & FC DEVIL'S HOLE HONEY BEE

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

The reason that I asked the question, is I am looking for a reg. dog. I have two that are med. to medium slow, probably a 5 or a 6. all I hear about is how much foot the dog has, or they are a 7 or 8. I did not figure that the pup would do differently than the blood that it is bred, but I thought that i would ask. guess I will just have to wait until i find the right one, not the one closest or less expensive. Patients is a virtue!
thanks for the information.
Jamey

HLC_Kennel

Post by HLC_Kennel »

Pike Ridge Beagles wrote:I know that the serious trialers who run slower dogs do not like to run them with dogs with a lot of foot. It may be more because they will pick up bad habbits trying to run faster than that what they were bred for. Good question.

They will also try to cheat to stay with the pack, like lack of using their nose, they will just try and run with the pack. This is something that doesn't need to happen. If you try to run a slow pack with a fast pack, you will ruin both packs in my opinion.