Picking the best from the litter

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SwampBuck

Picking the best from the litter

Post by SwampBuck »

My female will be having pups. Before I sell any I am picking 2-3 I want to keep to train. From birth to 10 weeks, what should I look for to determine which ones I want to keep? I know I will favor the bigger hounds for 1. Is there a way I can determine brains? Or is it just a crap shoot

Tim H

Re: Picking the best from the litter

Post by Tim H »

I prefer to keep the whole litter if it's the first time I've done the cross. If I have done the cross before then I know what I'm looking for in the breeding. I just know if I keep 2 or 3 then the ones I don't keep will be the ones I should have kept. If you don't know what comes from the cross you are doing then it's a complete guessing game. I like big males, so I kept the biggest male out of a litter and let the rest go. He was the only one out of the litter that went oversized. He's making a guy in Mich. a great hunting dog. That's why I keep the whole litter until they're running. After I see them all develop, I can guess better the next time I make the cross.
"Watch your dog and SHUT-UP"

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I agree with Tim.But I ve heard, put a blanket over the pups and the first one that find his way out pick that one.Never try it, but sounds good.

tkdkraig

Post by tkdkraig »

I like the boldest pup the one thats off exploring. I try to stay away from the ones that seem more timid. just my 2 cents

Hippy

Post by Hippy »

i have had good luck with leaving them together and for sveral days at age 8-10 weeks teasing them with some type of meat , usually raw, and dragg it off and seeing which one finds it first and fastest. As you know most puppies have a very short attention span and most will trail for a short while and then resort back to playing. The reason I do it for several days is to see if any of the pups that quit go for longer periods of time without loosing interest.
I can't say if it is the best way or a sure way BUT I have had very good luck with it.
Thanx,
Jim :argue:
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"

Greg H

Post by Greg H »

I took string cheese or hot dogs cut them up into bite size pcs. and thru them along the ground in about a 30 ft circle. Then I let all the pups out at the same time. You will soon figure out which ones have the brains and drive to search out as many pcs. cheese before their littermates get them.

Newt

Post by Newt »

It's a crap shoot. Pick out the pup that most closely resembles the hounds that you like. Then if he turns out to be a dud at least you will have a nice looking hound laying on your porch. :biggrin:

I don't believe there is any way to pick the best without starting them. Even then the pup that starts first may not be the best dog.

mjd

Post by mjd »

let the pups pick you instead of you picking the pups ,if i was to pick 1st choice would be the runt :shock:

Anderson Upland Beagles

Post by Anderson Upland Beagles »

Newt wrote:It's a crap shoot. Pick out the pup that most closely resembles the hounds that you like. Then if he turns out to be a dud at least you will have a nice looking hound laying on your porch. :biggrin:

I don't believe there is any way to pick the best without starting them. Even then the pup that starts first may not be the best dog.
well wrote ...i just wish i could have some of them pups back

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Pick your pup like you would pick your woman. Pick nice looking pups if they don't make it you can always give a pretty pup away just like you can get rid of a pretty woman. If you pick a ugly pup and it doesn't make it you're stuck with it just like a ugly woman. Although I think picking the pup that will make the best is LUCK. It takes alot of time and effort to get the best along with a little luck too. I always try to pick a bold friendly puppy. Just my own opinion. :lol: :lol:

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

There's more info on page 9, under selecting a pup too. Get rid of submissive ones and keep dominant/agressive ones.

SwampBuck

Post by SwampBuck »

Nor' Easter wrote:There's more info on page 9, under selecting a pup too. Get rid of submissive ones and keep dominant/agressive ones.
I wonder why that is? Reason I ask is I have a male that is scared of his own shadow yet he is a really good hound in the woods

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

Yes Swampbuck I had one like that too, I liked him alot. I gave the brother to him to my hunting pal because I knew he would keep him forever and I took the skiddish one to see what I could make of him. If I had the choice I would take the bold pup, you would have less problems with it and I like friendly hounds.My guy got hit by a car when he got lost at 7 years old, my pal still has his brother.