small dogs that run big

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

yellowdog

small dogs that run big

Post by yellowdog »

tell me about some of the 13 or less dogs you have seen that can run with the big dogs..i am talking bout ones that can stay with and out run the big hounds..you dont see these often but i would like to hear about the ones you have seen run or ones you own..these are special kind of dogs and deserve more credit in my opinion..lets hear about them..bloodlines and a short story bout them..
home of the tailess wonder ...
Glaserhollowbeagles. owners. Tracy & Bettina skiles 314-808-6291.Image

Pete Tuck

Re: small dogs that run big

Post by Pete Tuck »

Pine Mountain Freebird or Birdie owned by Anthony Kerr. I have seen her lead a pack of 16 around like it was nothing to it. If conditions are right and she gets a check, the other dogs better be close by or Birdie will leave them and will not think twice about it. Birdie is one of the fastest dogs I have ever seen. SHe has great hunt and tremendous desire.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Mike's Ace in the Hole
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

Mark H

Post by Mark H »

A buddy of mine has a 12 inch female out kevin monroes scooter dog that thinks she is a full 15 i think she can run with anything may not win but she will be there her name fits her ROLL ON SALLY
LP GRCH Skyview Smoke
LP RCH Bryants little buddy

pete young

Post by pete young »

C and C Hot "Biscuit". She is Branko's Jackpot x Branko's Magic Touch Female. In her prime she was fast and nasty. She is still a great jumpdog, but when she was 2 to 7 years old she could run with most any big dog around. She did a little crooked stuff to get it, but she would get it none the less. We killed 15 rabbits over her and 5 other dogs on Saturday and she still out-jumped the young dogs. She is 9 1/2 years old now........man we are going to miss her in our pack. You can see her picture and pedigree at http://www.stoneyrunkennel.com .
Stoney Run Kennels.
Hunt'em if you got'em!

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

GrRch Bch Eagleton's Murl Fancy B. . She is 12 3/4 and can flat move a rabbit track. I've seen her countless times run with and in front of 15 in hounds all day long. I wish i had a kennel full of 12 in hounds just like her.
Hallelujah Kennels---Daniel Upchurch
-----------------------------------------------
LP GRRCH DU's Hallelujah Levi

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

RockRidge ChuckleHead is a true 13 hound that can run with any big hound i have ever seen.
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

rock pushin rabbit hunter

Post by rock pushin rabbit hunter »

I've got a 12 inch bitch.Her name is Speck's Black Rat and she is one year old.She is really something special.I've seen her pack the front several times on some big fast hounds.She is going to be very tough with more experience.
Home Of
LPGRCH LPBCH 2013 Ky. State Ch. Winner Dixie Drivin' Big Show
LPGRCH 2012 Autism Hunt Winner Hicks' Edge
LPGRCH Watts Rabbit Traitor
LPRCH LPBCH Longwoods Krusher
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

Birdie thanks you for the nod Pete. Birdie is a Chester Daughter with a shot of Sampson, T Rex and Dandy Run Northstar on the bottom. I have seen her get it going and separate from a pretty good pack quite a few times without getting too nasty. She checks wide and fast. A little bit of a gambler but can run a good line for a speed demon. She won the NC State hunt last year as a champion with some good big dogs on the ground. My favorite story would be watching her destroy a 15" female that I owned. It was the second time I ran her after I got her home. They jumped a rabbit and the pup put it on the old vetran. They hated each other from then on. I love to watch her run solo. I am planning on a spring breeding. I hope it doesn't take much out of her. She is a pleasure to own.
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

I agree Birdie is a good dog. She is deceptivley fast. One that comes to mind as well is GHBCH GCH LPRCH Diamond Cut Holly that belongs to Tim Lamie. She is a hair under 13" and just has the nack for jumping rabbits out of no where. She championed in LP in 6 hunts at 5 years old. She has a squall mouth and can run the rabbit right. Like to have 6 more like her! :lol:
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

Blue Bandit

Post by Blue Bandit »

Louis' Blue Man is official 13". I haven't seen him run since he was 3 when my cousin owned him but we never had anything that could run with him. I really loved that dog and i wish he never got rid of him.
True Blue or nothing.

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

A few years ago Harry Snow Sr. told a story about a dog that really stuck with me. He had trialed a 13" female for Jack Blum in the US and was only able to win 2 first and 8 seconds with over 200 points. When he received this hound from Jack, he was told that she had unlimited bottom, so he decided to try. He dropped 4 little girls down with her at dawn and ran them all day. At dark her picked up 4 leaving the one in question still down and dropped 4 little males down with her. They ran all night and the following morning he picked up the 4 little males and dropped 4 big female on her. That evening the little female was leading the big girls when he picked them up. That story was filed away for later. 18 months later, I was given the opportunity to purchase this Nr. IFC little female and I jumped on it. She had not placed in a trial in around 2 years. Mike McPherson got her in shape for me and she started placing in Maine in LPH trials. I took my 3 trial dogs up to Maine to run on saturday. My hardest hitting female was first up, to be expected. The Nr. IFC looked great picking up 5 big checks in front of the Gallery. Several people told me they though she was going to win. Then in the afternoon she appeared on a leash as they called Trial. My other female did place third that day. Knowing that my hard hitting female would still be full of pee and vinegar I headed to New York for a LPH the next day. I entered the hard hitter only and Harry Snow Jr asked why I did run the Nr. IFC. I told him she had run the whole trial the previous day . He said "Run her, she's got plenty of bottom", so I did. We finished with 7 hounds and both of mine were still down. The called the names threw second and I hadn't been called. I knew the hard hitting female had won it was her kind of trial. The called ThreeJays Jack's Trouble to finish her as an IFC on her 6th birthday. The hard hitter IFC Murray's Bring 'em Back Becky finished a couple of trials later. She too was a 12" hound that could run with the big dogs, but that's a different story.

Catfish

Post by Catfish »

I have a Little Red Female that is around 13 Inches tall, her name is Heywood Precious Lady Garlick, She is the Fastest Dog that I ever owned, I'll admit I haven't owned to many fast Dogs, but I seen her out run alot of 15 inch Dogs. This Dog goes back to Paycheck, on her Dad's side, which her Dad is the Late Red Barn's Ace of Spade, and on her Mom side she goes back to Big Meadows Bull. She ended up 6th at last years Pa. State Hunt, and has had a Pile of Seconds Places in the Finals at Little Pack events. I have to Thank Brian and Jackie Heywood for this Little Red Ball of Fire.

Catfish:
The best music is a pack of hounds pounding a rabbit track
R.ch Bad News Hunter
R.I.P. R.ch Haywood's come Back Kid
R.I.P Gr. R. Ch. Haywood's Precious Lady Garlick

carn

Post by carn »

i owned a little male (check advance) he was line breed johnny paycheck about 12 1/2 he was one of the fastest i have ever seen run he would lead the pack of big males all daylong but like the say the good die young he was hit by a car at 18 months i only wish the beagling public would have a chance to see him go you know there very special when a grown man that has had many many hounds is in the road on his knees cring .

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog »

i love hearing about these lil hounds with the big hearts...i have 2 one is obviously ringo seen him lead a pack of big hounds in indiana on several occasions..i wont say he will outrun anything out there but he sure has made a believer out of a bunch of guys...never ever senn him get flat out run by any hound regardless of size...my other is my turbochraged lady demon female..if she had a bit more mouth i would have finished her easy as she will flat get through the country and prolly the best jumpdog and brush buster i will ever own and if she slips out on the pack they can forget it she is gone..also got to trial against fc pea ridge jedi and from what i seen he can run in the front and move a track out..nice hound period...i guess i am just partial to a smaller hound that can flat out roll on..would really like to see this birdie dog run have heard several say good things about her and that she can pack the mail...also i have heard countless stories about ol bicuit of pete youngs would have loved to see her cut a pack up in her younger days..my buddy has a big male out of her and he can flat roll and is a real nice rabbit dog, solid as can be day in day out.
home of the tailess wonder ...
Glaserhollowbeagles. owners. Tracy & Bettina skiles 314-808-6291.Image

PREACHERS,KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS,KENNEL »

ricks running spirit has ran in mnay lp trial with way biger dogs biger than 15 lol. and aint been left in the dust yet. i remeber one time that she was way the samllest dog in the cast and all the guys were saying these dogs how fast they r . they asked me how fast she was i told them maybe just fast enuf they just laughed. at the end of the cast i was 2nd another dog got a jumop strike inmaybe 15 minutes of running time in the cast and she lost by 10 points to the monster she out checked them the other 2 owners i looked at and smiled they did say u got a good little dog there!she is patch bred ,and 13 inches