trapping: try rabbit urine

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

IVTA

trapping: try rabbit urine

Post by IVTA »

Stumbled across this research abstract. Maybe someone can find the whole article. News to me, maybe not you?
http://www.jstor.org/pss/3783894

DIXIEDOG

Re: trapping: try rabbit urine

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I've tried the rabbit urine but still have far better results using Vanilla extract instead. I pour a little vanilla extract on the trap and stick and apple in there, more times than not I've got a hare the next morning.

eddywilliams

Post by eddywilliams »

is the trap a small box trap like a coon trap you get at tsc or smaller ,I ve tried i couldnt catch on eif my life depended on it :?:
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I ve been useing rabbit urine for 25 years now.The only way to go with on the old wood box trap. I ve catch 36 just last week. 20 boxes.

IVTA

Post by IVTA »

The only way to go with on the old wood box trap. I ve catch 36 just last week. 20 boxes

darn thats alot of rabbits. Ive had 4 out (2 wooden box, and 2 have a hearts) for about a month and just caught my first one yesterday. the metal traps have been freezing up and not dropping the doors so I have been feeding a few.

2500 HD

Post by 2500 HD »

rabbitearl wrote:I ve been useing rabbit urine for 25 years now.The only way to go with on the old wood box trap. I ve catch 36 just last week. 20 boxes.
Did you ever get your video finished. I would like to buy your video. Thanks Ken

sem

Post by sem »

What do yoyou do with all of those rabbits rabbitearl?

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

I USE VANILLA EXTRACT AND RED DELICIOUS APPLES. IT SEEMS TO WORK BEST FOR ME.
I ALSO PREFER PYRIMID OR BOX TRAPS OVER CAGE TRAPS. I SEEM TO CATCH MORE FROM THEM THAN THE CAGE TRAP.
AT ANY RATE TRAPPING HAS BEEN PRETTY RUFF AROUND HERE THESE DAYS DO TO DIFFERENT WEATHER CHANGES DAILY.
THIS TIME LAST YEAR I HAD CAUGHT CLOSE TO 200 RABBITS.THIS YEAR MAYBE 20 AND 8 OF THEM WAS LOST DO TO WEATHER. THATS WHY I PULLED MOST OF MY TRAPS TILL LATER ON.
Donnie Gibson/Gibson Plateau Kennel
donnie1462@hotmail.com
My boys

JRupert

Post by JRupert »

I have been new to trapping for the last few years, but i think i have been doing real well. I was wondering about the vanille extract. Generally all i ever use is apple. I tried the vanilla extract imitation stuff. I caught one hare after three days. Places i used just apple i was much more successful. I wanted to know what to do with the extract. I may try it again but i might be better off without it. I've learned alot of little tricks but afew more wouldn't hurt to know. Anybody have any ideas?

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I just dribble some of the extract around the inside of the box. I still use an apple for bait but the vanilla extract seems to draw them better.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Hey ken.No on the video.Still waiting on the guy and I told him that I want that big of a hurry.The way everything is now.Hate to put $1,200 in that video,and just a few would buy it.I would not think $30 would be to much.Maybe if I can get enuff that would buy one.But I don t know.

fellers I have alot of PM that wants to buy rabbits.I been offer as much as $40 dollors a rabbit.I donot sell rabbits and and its unlawful to do it anyway.And you really don t want to buy rabbits that has been taking out and handle.Rabbits do better if catch that night and release the same day.Just put the rabbit box in the pen and open the door and let him out when he wants to go out.If you want to put rabbits in a pen catch your owne.Had a guy the other day try to sell me rabbits.they were in a big cage all beat up and one already eyes started watering when you see this he not going to live long.I ask him about that rabbit .Oh that rabbit I catch him three day ago.I told him to go home and turn them out.I would not have them if you give them to me.I ve been study rabbit for 25 years now.They don t like to be in a cage long.

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

DIXIEDOG wrote:I've tried the rabbit urine but still have far better results using Vanilla extract instead. I pour a little vanilla extract on the trap and stick and apple in there, more times than not I've got a hare the next morning.

Dixiedog, what kind of trap are you using and how/where do you set it up for hare?

Can you catch them just as well in the summer as in the winter?

i've had a hell of a time catching any this winter, only one so far.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

NorWester1 wrote:
DIXIEDOG wrote:I've tried the rabbit urine but still have far better results using Vanilla extract instead. I pour a little vanilla extract on the trap and stick and apple in there, more times than not I've got a hare the next morning.

Dixiedog, what kind of trap are you using and how/where do you set it up for hare?

Can you catch them just as well in the summer as in the winter?

i've had a hell of a time catching any this winter, only one so far.
It works much better in the winter because you don't have other critters like skunks taking your bait, plus you have all the tracks to show you there exact routes of the hare you are trying to trap. I use a type of wooden box trap. One thing I did learn is that the more hidden you can make the trap the more hare you will catch, I like to set my traps up under fir boughs where I know the hare are hanging out, they are fairly well hidden and the hare seem to fall for them better. I also toss some hare dropping in the box as this also seems to help alot. It is very rare in Northern Maine not to get a few each time I trap, I set up 5 of my traps and generally get at least a couple hare each night.

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

Could you write up the design of your trap? I'm using a wire Haveaheart trap and I can't help but think I'd do better with some sort of box trap.

JRupert

Post by JRupert »

Norwester, iuse a wooden frame trap with vynal coated ckicken wire. Dixiedog is right about making sure that it is camoflauged good. Ihave never tried a box trap for hare though. they are deffinately the best way to go for cottontail. I always cover the trap good enough to hide it but make sure that they can also see through it. Ifound if it is too dark they don't like to enter it. Have a hearts do work but some times you have to tweek the trigger mechanism. Iwill have to try the droppings. Whenever you catch a hare/rabbit they always leave enough for you. Anyone who traps knows it is not easy and it takes alot of time. The more hare in an area the easier it is. Good luck i know we could all use some