More about "Animal Digest"

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Harehunter Ed

More about "Animal Digest"

Post by Harehunter Ed »

A while ago there was a post about Old Roy dog food and during this discussion someone made mention that there was animal digest in this food. Well, I got three bags of Prurina Hi-Pro today as part of the Nationals gifts to the placing hounds last month. Well, guess what is listed in the ingredients?? That's right, "ANIMAL DIGEST'.
My queston is, are there a lot of food companys with this in their ingredients than what we were aware of. Next question, I have to wonder, so what? Is this not good for the dog or is it just repulsive because we know what this is. It could be good for them for all I know. Comments?

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

I would think that animal digest would also pertain to stomach contents when the animal is slaughtered. I'm also thinking there's no way to efficiently process animal organs and intestines without having at least trace amounts of animal digest in there, and therefore it must go on the bag as an ingredient. The question in my mind is how far down is it listed since ingredients are generally listed in the order of highest percentage.

Dogs are mistakenly considered carnivores when in fact they are omnivores (meat AND plants). One of the first things a wolf will eat after killing a grazing animal is the stomach and contents. Some say that's nature's way of getting their "greens". I can't imagine they would leave the intestines, or take them to the creek to wash them out like "chittlin's. At least the crap they eat in dog food is cooked at high temperatures. The crap I've seen some dogs eat is body temperature at best, and sometimes downright cold, lol!
:puke:

MasonsBeagles

?

Post by MasonsBeagles »

ok maybe i did too many drugs in college.

So there is crap in the feed that my dogs eat. They in turn crap it out and then turn around and reeat it. A continuous cycle it appears. So what do you call animal crap that is recycled so to say. lol

ReGested Animal Digest I guess. LMAO

Steve C.

Post by Steve C. »

Ed, congratulations on placing at the Nationals; or should I address that to Deb!?!? If animal digest is the key to your success, I'm going to start searching for a new feed!

Russ

Post by Russ »

You all know there is nothing better than poopcicles in Dec.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I'm a USDA Meat and Poultry inspector and have inspected in numerous slaughter plants and still do. What do you think these plants do with ALL the left overs from the slaughtering and or processing of food animals? Do you think that they throw anything away? They sell it ALL to rendering facilities that grinds and/or cooks it at ultra high temperatures turning it into meal. What's that meal used for...animal feed suppliments and sometimes fertilizer because it is high in protein. What MAY be in there? Anything and everything from trimmed off muscle tissue that may have an abcess or bruise, livers, hearts, heads,stomachs with or without contents, intestines, LUNGS, and plain ole bones. Feathers from poultry plants go back into fertilizers and poultry feeds and any other item that is not fit for human consumption goes into the "INEDIBLE" barrels that the rendering companies pick up including dead blotted carcasses. Remember that this JUNK is all ultra cooked into a meal....thus meat and bone meal that may contain animal digest. One other thing is that digest or "INGESTA" and poop "FECES" are two different things. The only problem is kinda like the controversy over the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg. If animal by-products like fecally contaminated feathers and trimmed muscle tissue is ultra heated into a meal and that meal is then used in animal/poultry feeds
where do you differentiate between ingesta and feces?????Now what's going in actually came out??????I treat dog food like the water in Mexico, I don't "INGEST" it, period.

Steve C.

Post by Steve C. »

Yeah, right, Warddog; I know a hot dog when I see it!

warddog

Post by warddog »

Steve C.

You probably do know a hotdog when you SEE it but do you know what you just ATE??????

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

I like hotdogs. I don't wanna know and I don't care, lol! I like a good slab of bologna, too! If we knew everything we've eaten in our lifetimes , rat hairs, bug legs in the green beans, etc. it would probably turn us off ever opening our mouths again.

Did you know that a person over his/her lifetime will eat an average of 5 spiders in their sleep?
:yikes:

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

Bev wrote:I like hotdogs. I don't wanna know and I don't care, lol! I like a good slab of bologna, too! If we knew everything we've eaten in our lifetimes , rat hairs, bug legs in the green beans, etc. it would probably turn us off ever opening our mouths again.

Did you know that a person over his/her lifetime will eat an average of 5 spiders in their sleep?
:yikes:
1Tim.4
[4] For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

I'll say grace before hand and still eat my hotdog....!
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

Harehunter Ed

More About Animal Digest

Post by Harehunter Ed »

I've done some research and asked questions of Vets and feed companys and after reading these posts, I guess I won't change dog food or refuse to buy another brand just because animal digest in in the list of ingredients. I'll have to say, animal digest is NOT S**T. You learn something every day!!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

And there I thought I would become rich, just by cleaning out the barn lot...lol...Oh well, back to spreading the bull...