Rob's Diamond II and Dingus

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BCBeagles

Rob's Diamond II and Dingus

Post by BCBeagles »

I am a new user to the board and I have to say I am gaining a lot of insight from many posts.
I am relatively new to having AKC reg. dogs. I have hunted with grade dogs up until last year.
I have to say I have always tried to hunt the best dog I could afford or train. As of last year
the first reg. dog I purchased was a young female that goes back to Rob's Diamond II and BB Banker.
She is a very nice all around hound with exceptional hunt. I also have now purchased a female heavy
on both sides of Dingus Mcrae. Both of these females are above average in all departments and hold there
own with any pack. I am strictly a gun hunter and not a trialer. Opinions only, and not for an arguement,
which in your alls thoughts is a more consistent line in reproducing top end gun dogs?? My Diamond II
female and Dingus female are both brush bustin' hunters. However the Dingus female is a little stronger
in the speed and check areas. What is your all's opinion? I really like both of these dogs and they will
likely be my building blocks for the future. I just want to do a good job of preserving what I have and
keep as good a hound as possible. Thanks very much!

Jim, WV

beaglerun

Re: Rob's Diamond II and Dingus

Post by beaglerun »

Jim,

You might want to post a pedigree for both females. You can create one on the espo pedigree creator: http://espomagazine.com/cgi-bin/pedigree/pedigree.cgi

This will give others a blue print of how each dog is breed.

BeagleRun
Nothing could be finer!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Thanks much. I will look into that.

Jim

Triple_S

Post by Triple_S »

i have a question.
are some dogs or say bred lines that are bred to bust brush do it aoutomaticly or do you have to teach them to get in the brush. and if so how do you do this?

jim did your dogs start jumping in the briers just on instinct?

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Steve,

I assume you are asking about how hard they look for a rabbit?

Both of my females are from lines of dogs that are actively looking for a rabbit. They both are a
bloody mess within about a half an hour because the look hard for rabbits whether it takes 10 minutes or
two hours. From what I know about their ancestry this is pretty common for these lines of dogs.
Both of these females would look for their own rabbit very early on. They are not perfect dogs but
one thing you cannot fault them for is hunting. I know from hunting grade dogs and now reg. dogs
some lines of dogs are more aggressive hunters. I mean from six months or so on they hunt and
actively get in the brush. Some go at it harder than others.

Jim

Triple_S

Post by Triple_S »

thanks jim.
i have some heavy bred dingus an yellow creek pups comeing, and i wondered if they just naturaly jumped in the nastyest brier patch there is around. or did you have to show them to get it in the first time or two. i'm new to the game myself an not to sure of my training methods.
the pups i'm getting are from stock like that. i like'em bloody. shows there working hard. now i'm gona have some. :dance:
Steve

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Steve

From what I have seen on this board and many other areas is that Dingus and Yellow Creek are known for
exceptional hunt! That is one reason I actively pursued my Dingus female. She is a super jump dog and seems
to know where to look for rabbits. My Diamond II female is what I call a "dumb" hunter. She just gets in all the
nasty stuff whether there is a rabbit there or not. She too jumps a lot of rabbits. I am quite confident
you will be starting out with a great line of dogs and I hope they make you some good ones. Chasing rabbits
with good hounds is an addiction! Where are you getting your pups from? I am getting a male pup of Dingus
and Indian Hills in about 6-8 wks.

Jim

ricky murphy

Post by ricky murphy »

chasing rabbits with good hounds is!!!! an awesome experience!!!!!! :nod:

Triple_S

Post by Triple_S »

From Jim Lane
Lane Line. out of Ohio.
i am Super Excited about my pups i will be getting from him.
when i saw your post the first thing that popped in my head was you might know Mr.Lane .
i have not be real happy with the dogs i have now they started out pretty good they was bringing the rabbit around at 10 months 3 pups. but then things just went down hill. it's like they for got how to or was lazy or slow. an i did not want to put all that time in training pups again just to be dissappointed. so i did alot of resurch, looked at jim's site about 5000 times.
saw alot of stuff on this site about him and his dogs. and not one negitive thing did i see.
so i am getting 3 pups from him 2 females out of his Ozzie an Donna cross (donna is a sisster to dingus. it think she's due pretty soon)
and a male from his dingus and lady cross lady is a daughter of ozzie.( this Fall) so years down the road when i make my cross they will have Dingus Macrae 21 times in 7 gen. (if i counted right) a bunch of yellow creek, indian hills and some gay baker. so best i can tell as long as i do my part an put the time on them i should have some kick butt dogs for years to come.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Steve,

You will get some top dogs from Jim Lane. I contacted him via email about breeding a female and looking
for a pup. He responded back to me quickly and did an honest search for a pup for me. I appreciated that out
of him and he didn't know me from squat. I am getting a male pup from Larry Perry here in WV. He is one of the
guys who gave the Lane's there start with the line of dogs they hunt. He will have pups soon as well if for some
reason things don't work out with the litters from Jim. My Cherry female is heavy in Dingus and has Dingus
many times in her pedigree. She has endless hunt and I am lucky to have purchased her. She is definitely in my
plans for breeding down the road. I have never heard anything but good things about the Lane's on here. They
must be pretty honest guys and keep top dogs. Good luck with your pups!

Jim

Triple_S

Post by Triple_S »

Thanks Jim
Take care
Steve

Triple_S

Post by Triple_S »

Opinions only, and not for an arguement,
which in your alls thoughts is a more consistent line in reproducing top end gun dogs?? My Diamond II
female and Dingus female are both brush bustin' hunters. However the Dingus female is a little stronger
in the speed and check areas. What is your all's opinion?
Jim'
sorry for hijacking your thread.
please awnser Jim's question.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Thanks Steve!

Jim