learning the lemons

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ravenrunner

Re: learning the lemons

Post by Ravenrunner »

i own patch and northway and patch, but i was wondering what the Satsuma dogs hunt like.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Swampman wrote:No they didn't.
They do catch a cottontail on occasion, but have never caught a snowshoe.

They aren't always that quick either, they gear down when necessary.

Their tight check work is a detriment, (so to speak) when running snowshoes with guys that run strictly snowshoes. Hounds than run snowshoes on a regular basis reach out quicker and farther and causes my hounds to play catch up after a check.
But since I run cottontails more than snowshoes, they are doing exactly what I want.

After running snowshoes on the Island for a week straight though, mine tend to reach quicker and farther and need to settle down again when back home on cottontails.

I need to get up to the cabin and run some snowshoes again. Was planning on going up yesterday through the 1st., but the inlaws are gone vacationing, so I have to take care of the farm. :(
Are you trying to say, an intelligent hounds will regulate it's pace and method of work according to the conditions, environment, "the way it is packed" And the game pursued?... What an ornate idea for good hound sense...well done!

RABBITBUTCHER

Post by RABBITBUTCHER »

SATSUMA IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO !
HOME OF HOF FC FLETCHER'S ELECTRA

intrepid

Post by intrepid »

Nice looking bitch Rowdy, congrats on placing her.