dog won't run with other dogs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

copper22

dog won't run with other dogs

Post by copper22 »

My beagle runs great by herself but when she is with other dog's she takes off even if they are on a rabbit. she has been out with these dogs several times will she get the hint and run with them?

Bobby Vest

Re: dog won't run with other dogs

Post by Bobby Vest »

When you go to run your other dogs, take a tie out with you. Stake your dog out right where you are going to be running rabbits around her. Don't let her loose at all, just let her keep tugging at it no matter how much she wants to get in on the race. Do this for quite a few times that you run your dogs and it should change her attitude toward running with the other dogs.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

copper22,

I have had that same issue with a couple of youngs hounds as have my hunting buddies. My opinion would be to
run her with a single dog and possibly kennel her near that dog if you can. Maybe the least aggressive running dog, but
not junk. Maybe pressure from the other hounds is holding her back. Just an opinion.

Jim

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Make that a table for two on the kenneling situation. In fact, if you can get that owner to kennel her right in with that dog for a couple of weeks I bet she will run with that dog at least. If that dog is with other dogs, then eventually she will get with the program. If not, she would probably make a good gundog for somebody that just wants to take one or two dogs out.