Grey Color Beagle

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beaglerun

Re: Grey Color Beagle

Post by beaglerun »

I have three littermate sisters that are 2 1/2 years old, and I haven't had any skin problems out of mine either. Their mother (who is also grey) is over 4 years old and her skin is fine also. I hope they stay in good health. I would hate to loose them.

You know what, I do have one skin problem. Their tails a pretty beat up by the end of the day. :biggrin: That's one condition I am willing to live with.

BeagleRun
Nothing could be finer!

sgc

Post by sgc »

Mybeagles / Danny King
I was supposed to buy the mother of the pups you're referring to (when she was a pup), but didn't, because she was Grey. I backed out because this was just at the time Doc S wrote the article on grey coloring indicating skin & other problems. Its my recollection that she (the mother) also, ended up having health problems. I would stay away from grey colored pups. AND, yes, the female from that mothers litter, that wasn't grey, that was kept is a good one. I would like to own her.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Hey Dennis; its off the subject but I thought I'd just shoot you a couple of lines. Abbey is doing a nice job, getting better all the time.

Back to the subject, I have seen a few greys that had problems and only one that didn't, the one that didn't was a pretty dog.

Steve Mikkelson

Post by Steve Mikkelson »

Last edited by Steve Mikkelson on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cut'em loose

NLPC & IFC Riley's Rolling Trails

DRS

Post by DRS »

Rabbithoundjb wrote:Hey Dennis; its off the subject but I thought I'd just shoot you a couple of lines. Abbey is doing a nice job, getting better all the time.

Back to the subject, I have seen a few greys that had problems and only one that didn't, the one that didn't was a pretty dog.

Hey Rabbithound good to hear from you. Glad to here Abbey doing good. I breed my Branko male out of one tuff ombre to my female who grand pa is turbo powered by prop this will be her first litter. She will have pup's in about 55 days.

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

I know a guy near me that has what he called a gray beagle- he bred this male to one of his tri females as he wanted more gray beagles. I saw the dog, but it was a tri-colored that lookes like he got blasted by lime dust. He had this gray cast to him.He wasn't what I would call a gray beagle- the pics of the pups above are better lookin dogs. JMO
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

deerstalker

Post by deerstalker »

If mine makes a good rabbit dog and is worthy of breeding, I think I'll breed her just like any other female. As mixed as some of these bloodlines are, I think there are possible problems out of a lot of them. Not saying that the information is not correct, I'm just saying any of the colors other than the traditional lemon and white or tri color dogs may present issues at some point, because they are all some sort of muted gene that caused the color difference. I have a tri color red female that doesn't take heat as well as other colors, and have been told a lot of them can't, but I would still breed her if she is a good rabbit dog. I guess the skin problems are part of conformation, and could be considered a conformation problem, but if the dog doesn't have problems and is otherwise a good hound, I don't have any problems with breeding them. I would rather look at the individual dog and it's ability and breed based on that, I don't think you will go wrong.
Just my opinion,
Bryan
If I was doin any better today, I couldn't stand it!

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

We have had many hounds out of Jack of all Trades and linebred Jack. None of them ever were mouse colored so I think you may look elsewhere for this trait. :nod:

beagle crazy

Post by beagle crazy »

The only problem I have with my grey beagle is her ears and nose: the skin seems to be too thin in these places. Every time I take her running, she comes back looking like she took on a hedgehog and lost :lol: Her nose and ears are always scratched/cut to peices. Her tail is bloody too, but nothing like her ears and nose. I clean them and medicate them and , if real bad, leave her up a day or two. I have had no other problems out of her. She's a fast dog and loves to take the lead, and an excellent check dog. She just has thin ears and a thin-skinned snout.

sgc

Post by sgc »

My recollection of the female that Mybeagles and Danny King originally referred to (the grey mother), is that her sire was out of Jack of All Trades X Branko's Bluebell and her Dam was out of Kingwood Snow Run Ditka (Ali baba) X a Round Pound Mr. T. female. I don't know where she got the gene from, but she was grey and it came from somewhere. Also, I believe that the sire of the pup Danny King ended up with, out of the grey mother above, was out of the same sire as the grey mother. In other words, the grey mother was bred to her 1/2 brother. They were both out of the Jack of All Trades X Branko's Bluebell male above. Just as an aside, the 1/2 brother was larsen bred on the bottom & had Jack of all Trades on that side too. I don't know if this supports Steve's comment or not, its just info. Maybe it comes from Bluebell & thus her name??

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

Steve Mikkelson wrote:I'm most certain every vet will tell you DON'T breed a grey beagle. You may be lucky and not have problems but you are passing on the problem if you bred them. Why be tempted? You won't be tempted if you cull these grey beagles or at least get them fixed and hope you don't end up with a pile of vet bills $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Well, I walked out to my kennel today shot and killed three good dogs cause they were Blue/Grey collored. Thanks for your advise.

deerstalker

Post by deerstalker »

Ironjaw, I'm LMAO!
Bryan

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

The guy has some grey pups, maybe you can get some more. :idea:

Nor' Easter,

Likely just a coincidence. It was only 5 litters with Jack in them. There's lots of Jack litters that dont have grey ones. :nod:
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Bells Run Kennels

Post by Bells Run Kennels »

I just have to wonder why the AKC allows for the registration of these dogs if they are supposedly such a problem?? I mean the papers that i registered my dogs on say BLUE , TAN and WHITE....these are the gray cast dogs we are talking about. I have a close friend who cant stand them but one of my best hounds is a pure pleasure in the field and super quiet in the kennel and he is Blue tan and white. His pups are solid gray and white when puppies but turn into the Tri color dogs with a hint or cast of blue to their coats as they mature..no health problems from any of them. These dogs do come from jack of all trade breeding but it was wayyyyy back . Oh well Run what you like and Like what you run.
Run your dogs....not your mouth!!!

deerstalker

Post by deerstalker »

Akc does call the color blue, and it is a recognized color, so no problems there. Seems like the problems are only with a limited number of hounds, and some of us have good luck with them, so maybe it is related to the individual dog more so than the color. Wonder how many tri colored dogs have skin problems?
Bryan