Grey Color Beagle

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

DRS

Grey Color Beagle

Post by DRS »

How common is it to have a grey and white beagle. I have a litter with two grey and white pup's.
Attachments
gray.jpg
(191.88 KiB) Downloaded 3963 times
Last edited by DRS on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Laneline

Re: Grey Color Beagle

Post by Laneline »

Here you go, looks like one of a kind. Wow, very interesting. I'd have to hold on to that one just to see what it turned out like. He may have pulled something out of the gene pool from way back. Different, but seems to be a real well built and good looking pup.

Last edited by Laneline on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." - Mark Twain

DRS

Post by DRS »

These pup's are out of my male off of Branko's One Tuff Ombre and Branko's Ella Ella and a gay bread female of mine. How did you get the picture that small?

Danny King

Post by Danny King »

they have alot of skin problems i have one and it has alot of problems
looks good though
Danny King
Lets Run Em... Hammerdown...Yankee By Birth Rebel By Choice!

Keith C.

Post by Keith C. »

Most of them darken up as they get older. I have a nephew of Triple Threat that started out that way and now looks like a slightly light tri-color.
I had two pups in a litter out of Triple Threat that came out that way too.
I have seen only two adult dogs that stayed a more intense silver.
I have not seen any skin problems in them.
Keith

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Its a genetic defect caused by the blending of a white and black hair gene. Many that own them say they have skin problems with them and I have read scientific articles that state they are at a higher chance of skin conditions.

I owned a grade beagle many years ago that was grey. We called her mousie, she was pretty good rabbit dog, never any skin trouble but she really liked the hooved animals.

All of the grey colored pups I have seen or heard of went back to Jack of All trades with the exception to the one I owned. Im guessing Ive seen 5 or 6 litters with them.

The majority of adults I have seen were more of a dark smoke color rather than the light grey you see as pups.

Skip Ray had a litter with several. This was a few years ago and the female he kept was real nice dog.

Good looking litter of pups!
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

sgc

Post by sgc »

There's an article in one of the older Rabbit Hunter or American Beagler magazines by a vet that talks about a high percentage of skin & other problems in these color pups (a little later in life).

Steve Mikkelson

Post by Steve Mikkelson »

Last edited by Steve Mikkelson on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cut'em loose

NLPC & IFC Riley's Rolling Trails

Danny King

Post by Danny King »

i got one off skip ray mybeagles that was grey it was about 5 years ago now that was grey he has skin problems the female he kept wasnt grey but yea she is good
Danny King
Lets Run Em... Hammerdown...Yankee By Birth Rebel By Choice!

deerstalker

Post by deerstalker »

I have one out of Buzzsaw that is grey tri colored, no skin problems yet and she is two. I have seen several pups out of old buzz that were grey. I have seen some out of a couple of other lines that were also, and I think it is an attractive color, I really like mine.
Bryan
If I was doin any better today, I couldn't stand it!

BuschBound

Post by BuschBound »

This pup looks like he has a nice thick coat. I don't think you will have problems with it but only time will tell. I have seen them loose all of there hair at a young age but you can normally tell by the 1st few months. Some are even born almost bald. Good luck with it. Personally, I love the color but my past experiences I stay away from these.
Dave Martin- (906) 285-1740

Joseph J Murphy

Post by Joseph J Murphy »

We had one out of Sampson that had skin problems but she was still worth the extra trouble.We have a male now that is 4 or 5 and he never has had a bit of problem.Like the other poster said most will turn darker as they get older.

J Murphy
Bring on Dream Team 3 !!!!!!

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

deerstalker wrote:I have one out of Buzzsaw that is grey tri colored, no skin problems yet and she is two. I have seen several pups out of old buzz that were grey. I have seen some out of a couple of other lines that were also, and I think it is an attractive color, I really like mine.
Bryan
Check out my web-site. I've got three out of Buzzsaw that are grey. Two males and a female. I haven't had any trouble out of them yet either and feel the same way you do Bryan.
Elliott Peters

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I have had a total of 12 born that color and all but one stayed that color after they were grown and all but 2 of them had skin problems. In fact I still have one of them and she is 3 years old and she looks good from a distant but when you look at her close she has hardly no hair on the part of her body that is grey. The hair on the part of her body that is white is good and thick. She is a good female but she hardly gets hunted because she doesn't have enough hair on her body to turn thre briars and she comes out of a hunt looking like you used a razor blade on her because of the lack of hair. Good luck with yours but like I said they are common in my bloodline but they do end up with skin problems.

davidc5936

Post by davidc5936 »

In 1971 I bought a Patch pup from Oscar Anderson that was grey. He never had any skin problems and was a good rabbit dog. He had a tan head and a solid grey blanket. The only thing I noted about him was that he had a very thick coat. Oscar Anderson told me later that grey dogs were fairly common at one time in the Patch line.
Dave Cunningham

Richmond, VA