How Long

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Cutemloose

How Long

Post by Cutemloose »

until you all expect your pups to pack up, and circle rabbits? I have a 7 month old and he started at about 5 1/2 months he is real slow on the trail and isnt packing up his bloodline suggests that they are medium running dogs. I am new to the beagle scene so I am just wondering what the experts think that means all of you.
Team Trackemdown- Missouri Rabbits Running For Their Lives

mike crabtree

Re: How Long

Post by mike crabtree »

If he is bred to run Flat Medium, and you are trying to pack him with fast dogs, you probably wont have much luck.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

Cutemloose

Post by Cutemloose »

the dogs hes running with arent real fast i would say medium... just wondering what kind of time line you all think

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

cutemloose

my dogs are not a flat medium speed. they are faster than that. Upper medium is more like it.

solo they slow down. but in a pack they run faster on the line. and when coditions are right they straight book
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Cutemloose

Post by Cutemloose »

I thought they were faster but wasnt sure I think he will do fine time will tell

Triple_S

Post by Triple_S »

this is what i know to be 100% fact.
1. the more you take them out the the faster they will learn, they cant learn from inside the kennel.
2. they will turn on when they are ready. all you can do is give them the opportunity.
3. this one was taught to me by my mentor. it's a good ideal to run a pup with a GOOD old slow broke dog.
as they progress they well start takeing the rabbit away from the old dog. if they lose it the old dog will show them how to line it back out ( work a check from the inside out). AND, this works i seen it with my own eyes.
4. i beleave that if you run them with to fast a dog they could develop bad habits while trying to just keep up with the pack.
for give my spelling it's late.
5. have a ton of patience . go out an have fun dont get all worked up caulse it's not going to help or make things go any faster. just enjoy watching the light come on for him. it's pretty cool.
6. if your in a hurry and want to get him on the fast track. take him to someone with a running pen that can run him every day an keep him on rabbits. an leave him for a month. if thay are any good you will be very pleased when you get him back.
i know joey has some killer spots. you just have to get him out there.
7. you have come to the right placefor info. i have learn so much from this board in the last year it's amazing.
oh and one more.
a real good dog can make a pack look like world class hounds . you wana know just how good a dog is take it out by its self.

Cutemloose

Post by Cutemloose »

Thanks i know im just impatient thats why i dont deer hunt plus running with joeys dogs doesnt help they make him look bad :biggrin: i know it will take time just seeing what you all you expect of a pup

Triple_S

Post by Triple_S »

i was the same way. on my first pups. i use to get so mad they would pack stuff around goof off play the case me game.
now not all dogs are created equal. bonnie and clyde did all the goofing off and started at about 9 mo.
i bought doc when he was 5 mo. he and his litter mate sister was circleing wild rabbits by there self in the wild already. but they do have some very impresive dogs in there ped AND they were started on tame bunnys and they got turnd out every evening. and this guys place was loaded with rabbits . and he never goofed off he was an still is all business.
that cooter dog i have is the same way. i posted on him a week or so back. an i think my kate pup will be the same way.
from what i have read about your dog if its the odie dog i am thinking of he sould be fine. just dont push him an blow him up. by running with to much of a dog . i have only been doing this for a little over a year but between this site's members an my uncels 40 years i feel i have one hell of hound education. if i dont know the answer i will make somthing up .
and it will sound good....LOL jus kidding i would't lie to ya.
But this site is a God send , could you imagin trying to do all this stuff on your own.an have to learn all the mistakes by trail an error. we get the best advice there is. the knowldge on here is endless ,we get the benifit of all the others life experience's and insite to diffrent ways to do things an train our hounds. i'm just proud to be a member here.

Cutemloose

Post by Cutemloose »

I agree hes started and barks on trail but it takes him forever to do anything (walkie talkie) I have a pretty good teacher but even he is stumped his dog lisa is a faster medium with the pack but by herself i feel like odie should be able to keep up he just gets scared or something when she starts barking.... we are going to try it tonight if joey feels like it :biggrin: thanks for the input
Last edited by Cutemloose on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

:crossfingers: :nod:
Last edited by Joeyman on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cutemloose

Post by Cutemloose »

Joey is a good teacher and is helping me alot
Last edited by Cutemloose on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

we'll figure it out.

Triple_S

Post by Triple_S »

well he is still just a pup. and still trying to figer it out.
if your only running him once a week your going to be a while.
if he is barking on track an actualy working the line by him self.
he needs to be run ALOT.
4 times a week or more. he will start speeding up.
after he does let him get going on one and get up the line a ways then cut lisa loose. or put him with a old slow dog like i told ya. he will speed up then start to take the rabbit away from the old dog.
he dont have his gears yet, he's just now getting the ideal of whats going on.
but you have to run him. run run run run run like 3 to 4 hours at a time. or take him to a pen.