is it too late?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bamabeagler

is it too late?

Post by bamabeagler »

guys ive just got a two year old grade male from a buddy of mine. he was gonna get rid of him and the dog is just a real good lookin hound and i couldnt pass up the offer. the only bad thing is that he has only seen a rabbit twice and that is since he has been w me. i have a 3 acre starting pen that has 4 rabbits in it...if i put him the pen should he start if he's got it in him or is it too late?

Bev
Site Admin

Re: is it too late?

Post by Bev »

I've started them as old as 4. If they have it in them they will start just like a pup. Go for it; you've got nothing to lose, right?

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

Don Rahe just started a 2 1/2 year old half show bred male for my brother and I. if he has got it in him a hot rabbit track and sight chase will start the fire , a fresh kill and the taste of rabbit will make it burn forever !
Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

ddetar00

Post by ddetar00 »

My two males had not seen a bunnie til last fall... at 2-1/2 years of age most said it was a lost cause... 5 months later they were eating their words.
just remember he got started late... so cannot compare to a 2 year old that was started at 6 months...

good luck.

"Detar's HunkerDown Hounds"
Hunter / Chase / Twister

bamabeagler

Post by bamabeagler »

alright guys thanks. i was a little worried that he wouldnt start but ive let him see a rabbit a few times just in a cage so that he can atleast get the smell and while he was gettin the smell he was also gettin a taste...he wanted to get in that cage so bad. he wants to get after it so i think he'll be just fine. im goin to the beach and ill be back in a week and as soon as i get back he is goin in the startin pen. i have a little over two months till rabbit season and i think he'll be ready to hit the the ground and run'em to the gun by then. i already got a pack of some "shonuff" females that he can run with to help him out so he should be just fine

p&y finally

Post by p&y finally »

I had 2 grade dogs gave to me by a friend of a friend. One was a 7 y/o male that was suposed to be the best of the best, the other was a 2 1/2 y/o female that had never been messed with. (I took the female to get the male). First couple times out of the pen the female went with the other dogs for 50 yards or so then came back to me. About the 3rd or 4th time out she caught on and never looked back. I know this is a once in a lifetime thing probably but shes absolutely jam up now!

bamabeagler

Post by bamabeagler »

yea i took my male out today and put him with 4 of my females that can flat run a rabbit and he would go in a little bit and he actually sniffed around where the rabbit crossed at a few times and acted real interested cause the tail was goin ninety-to-nothin. he was familiar with the scent but i just think he's not 100% sure as to what's goin on. i think about a strait month of our startin pen and a little more time out with the pack should get him goin