pups...

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bamabeagler

pups...

Post by bamabeagler »

i just had a litter of pups and they will be 10 weeks old on opening day of rabbit season. is there anything i can do w them when i go huntin...like as far as just take them with me and let them see the rabbit when i kill one or are they just better off at the house? i normaly have a certain method i use to start pups and ive never had pups durin this time and ill be in school all durin the week and i was just wonderin if i could do somethin to start them young when i hunt on the weekends

NoBull

Re: pups...

Post by NoBull »

Pick 1 or 2 and take with ya but be careful and hunt in an area you can keep an eye on them young pups have a tendency to get lost but the things they will learn more so then chasing a rabbit like how to cross a fence/creek/log and be very careful when you shoot a young hound usually will stand at your feet and if it takes after a rabbit when your about to shoot you could have an accident. I always think its a good idea to get a pup out of a pen and into the woods more so when your not trying to actually hunt but just running some rabbits. Only do this if your taking them to an area your familiar with and not near any roads or farms where they can get into trouble should you get seperated. Hope this helps out some get your pups out of pens they wont learn anything looking through a fence.
Home Sweet Home Kentucky

Shotgun John

Post by Shotgun John »

I personally don't like taking them into the woods at that age. I think it is too much strain on their bodies. When does rabbit season come in where you live?

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Just right for next year.10 weeks old is way to young to hunt with older dogs.They still have along way to go..