Kennel Cough and Contagious in Running Area

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ed Brown

Kennel Cough and Contagious in Running Area

Post by Ed Brown »

I belong to a small club and a fellow brought in a dog that has kennel cough, since then a few other dogs have come down with the cough. I ran a young bitch in this area, not knowing of the kennel cough. I suppose she will get it too. They closed the area for 2 weeks. I just happened to be the last one in there. I had her in there for 1.5 hours. What do you think? I know I wish that person, if he knew about the cough, would not have put the dog down in there. Something we all have to be aware of when using a clubs' running area. I've read that kennel cough is VERY contagious and will survive on the vegetation for several days.
Anyone else had an experience with this kind of situation?

mike crabtree

Re: Kennel Cough and Contagious in Running Area

Post by mike crabtree »

This past trialing season dogs all over had kennell cough. It is very contagious, but not very threatening at all. Lots of people bring a dog that has it without knowing. It will have it but wont cough for another day or so. All my younger dogs had it this spring.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

How long has it been now? I would say she would get the cough in 5 - 7 days. If it has been more than a week and she is symptom free, I would say she dodged the bullet. Kennel Cough is very contagious. In a confined area or where dogs share food and water, I would expect near 100% chance of every dog getting it. In an open area such as a running ground, especially a large area, the odds of not getting it should be better. Still, any dog that is known to have Kennel Cough should be quarantined to the greatest extend possible for the protection of other dogs. Any owner who would knowningly exposed other animals is a real jerk in my book! Of course, much of the spread of the disease occurs before the owner is aware that the dog is sick. I brought it home from a derby trial (sharing of a water dish at the end of a cast I suspect) and practically every dog in my kennel had it by the next weekend. It sounded like an old time TB ward for several days! The good new is that most dogs make a full recovery.

JStorer

Post by JStorer »

Same here, went to 1 trial this past spring and brought the cough home and all my dog got it, I was not impressed :angryfire:

nhharris78

Post by nhharris78 »

knock on wood It hasnt been in my kennel yet, but I have only had hounds for a few months. Is this something that has to run its course or do you have to medicate the dogs to rid this problem. just need to know in case it pops up sometime. thanks
Nate Harris
Shultz Creek Kennel
FCGD Skeeter Creek's Ruby Lou
FCGD Smith's Stormin Ida
NRFC Shultz Creeks Hillbilly Gauge

bradadkins

Post by bradadkins »

Like Mike said lots of guys bring dogs that have it without knowing. It has been alot in this area this past spring too.
Adkins Bluegrass Beagles
That's How I Roll

bocephus52804

Post by bocephus52804 »

nhharris78 wrote:knock on wood It hasnt been in my kennel yet, but I have only had hounds for a few months. Is this something that has to run its course or do you have to medicate the dogs to rid this problem. just need to know in case it pops up sometime. thanks

Try to keep the dog well fed and hydrated. You can also give the hound a dosing of Robitussin to help with the coughing. Normally it will run its course in just a few days. It really knocks the crap out of them for a couple days though.

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

i got it this year at the state hunt,my dogs were passing it along to others before they got symptons.
i would get ready for it if i were you.all it is -is bronchitis..i would stock up on cephalexin.
i knocked it outta my three dogs in 4 days and was running on the weekend by useing 1cc of tylan50.i got it at tractor supply.
one shot the first day-one shot the third day and then the cephalexin for three days.

Danny King

Post by Danny King »

put one gallon of water with one cap full of bleach change out every day will clean out your dog if it has kennel cough thats what an old houndsman told me years ago
Lets Run Em... Hammerdown...Yankee By Birth Rebel By Choice!