How many to a kennel

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

lifehog

How many to a kennel

Post by lifehog »

How many hounds do you guys put in one run? I have 2 males in a 6 by 12 on the ground slab and am thinking about putting another one in with them.

bucks better beagles

Re: How many to a kennel

Post by bucks better beagles »

lifehog: I am of the opinion that it is not a question of how many dogs you keep in a kennel of this size, but, rather how often you exercise them. I keep my dogs is individual, off the ground runs that are on 3 X 8 feet but they are run every day. They go into their enclosures only to rest and eat. As a matter of fact, most of their excretions are done in the field because they quickly learn to save it until it is time to hunt. The draw back to my method is that they quickly learn they are to be hunted every evening so, if you have to take your wife out to dinner once in a great while, they get impatient and may bark a little.

Bob-Michigan

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

buck is right and it has more to do with how much you get them out. I like to keep no more than 2-3 in a kennel that is 6' x 18' but I have seen some guys do it in a kennel as small as a 6' x 12'. Each dog will get out at least 2-4 days a week to run with the exception of quiet time in the summer it may only be once a week and in the winter I'll run 3-6 days a week. I really only feel bad when they are stuck in there for more than a week at a time and even then I'll get them out for some kind of exercise.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I've been keeping hounds for approximately 45 years and I never keep more than 1 in a kennel no matter what the size.I have double or triple bunked them together on hunting trips or staying over at someone else's kennel but on a regular basis they each have their own .Less hassels / problems and I can better monitor each dogs health,eating habits etc.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

bucks better beagles wrote:lifehog: I am of the opinion that it is not a question of how many dogs you keep in a kennel of this size, but, rather how often you exercise them. I keep my dogs is individual, off the ground runs that are on 3 X 8 feet but they are run every day. They go into their enclosures only to rest and eat. As a matter of fact, most of their excretions are done in the field because they quickly learn to save it until it is time to hunt. The draw back to my method is that they quickly learn they are to be hunted every evening so, if you have to take your wife out to dinner once in a great while, they get impatient and may bark a little.

Bob-Michigan
ditto- My runs are 5 x14 ft. Z They're kenneled separetly. I try to get them out every night, but sometimes it don't happen.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

blckcrk-dog

Post by blckcrk-dog »

same here 1 dog to a kennel mine are 6x8 chainlink and mine are run evey other day I can keep an eye on what is going on with each dog ,if its off its feed ,blood in stool,or any other problems and do not have to worry about food fighting ,and also when I spray pens out everyday I can keep a eye out for any health problems been doing it this way for 35 years and have not had to sew one up because of fighting in the pen when my dad first started out 55 years ago he kenneled males with males and females with females in big 40x40 pens and we were haveing to sew dogs up every week from fighting and we also had alot more health issues with the dogs,just my 2 cents.
"run em true and steady "

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

I find beagles are generally happier, more content, and even bark less when housed two per run. I have had over a dozen beagles and a lab in one big pen in the past but (especially with males) even three per run can be dangerous if they gang up. Two males or more males attacking a single male at once can get really ugly! You can pair males and females and generally eliminate the dominance issue as the female will normally submit to the male. Of course, that brings in the unwanted breeding issue. I currently have 2 beagles per run with pairs of the same sex. I do some switching around to keep them bonded as a pack and also to eliminate conflicts I see developing. When I come in from a run, I sometimes put the leave all the gates open with the male and female sections and just watch to see how they sort themselves. My males tend to return to their usual spot but my females seem to like to mix it up more. I try to match the pairs by eating aggressiveness as a shy eater may allow an aggressive eater to empty both bowls. I had one older male that I housed solo for awhile due to his aggressiveness. I have a two year old male that I put in with him on a trial basis and they are big buddies now - even eating out of the same bowl at times - go figure! Even in pairs, you have to keep the in season females as far away from the males as possible to prevent fighting. When my females are firing off one after the other, I have to play "musical kennels" to maintain order and harmony.
Last edited by Chuck Terry on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

lifehog

Post by lifehog »

My worry is the fighting the two I have in there now get along great I was just wondering what it would be like putting a third in there.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

When new hounds are entered into the pack, the pack is kenneled in the other lodge and the new hounds are allowed to sleep in the main lodge where the pack is normally kept. This allows the "new" to come accustom to their new home and "take-on" the scent of the pack by sleeping in their bedding (there's something about "you smelling like the rest of us", that adds a note of acceptance when the question is ask, "who, are you? and why are you in our bedroom?".
I find it's best to join them after a day of being out hunting, as the energy level is worn down and the edge is knocked off. They're more acceptable of others at this time and are ready for a rest... ;)

eddywilliams

Post by eddywilliams »

check your pms
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/