satsuma studs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sammiller03

satsuma studs

Post by sammiller03 »

I have read and hear some good things about the satsuma line. i was wondering if anyone had a good male stud around maryland. also if anyone has done a satsuma x patch cross.

thanks sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: satsuma studs

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Mel Faust in Amite,La. owns the Satsuma kennels and has some outstanding dogs.I spent a weekend at his place a couple of years ago and had a ball.Mel has 200 acres of fenced running grounds loaded with swamp rabbits.His Woody dog has done well as a reproducing stud.
I know one thing for absolute certain----Mel has never crossed his dogs with any Patch.LMAO.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

PREACHERS,KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS,KENNEL »

it has ben crossed with patch a few times a man in la. has done it with a friend of mine .. which raises patch dogs they both seemed to like it. his name was something bryant was pretty wealthy from what i hear my friends name is larry martin . larry told me the satsumas wasnt hardly as fast as his patch but were good hunters and he liked what he saw from them. i have never seen a satsuma run so i cant tell you anything about them . my patches arent asfast as larrys so they maybe comparable to my speed of patch!

japa

Post by japa »

A friend of mine from W. Virginia owns a male pup and he says he is going to be a super hound. He bought it from a guy in Irvine KY. and he wanted to find more dogs of this breed.

sammiller03

Re: SATSUMA,NORTHWAY OR OTHER QUALITY STUDS

Post by sammiller03 »

thanks for the input. just trying to find something to breed a good female with. I had a litter with her last year and all those dogs are turning out well. if I dont find a better male ill just repeat that breeding. I have a bunch of buddies asking me for pups and I thought ill try something a little different then breed back into patch. any info is helpful. If you think you have or know of thats special dog let me know.

thanks
Last edited by sammiller03 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

I got a male out of Abshires levee road junie and murphys dream catcher, mostly satsuma on the bottom. Starting to give me some wood. :shock: ......Gives it every breath and easy on the eyes. Starting to look at him as the next big thing at my house.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

how old is your male?
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

chascmp

Post by chascmp »

Mr. Mel is up there at his place in Maine now unless he has headed back. his stud hound "Woody" is in Texas right now unless i am mistaken. Mr Mel will probaly have 25-30 young hounds with him.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

13 Months ..... Has got to be a spitting image of his daddy.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

What's the pedigree on your bitch look like?

If your bitch has good constitution and you like medium bone hounds, I'd go to Bob McClurg in Pa. He has a hound named Browning that is a brother to my Taz hound. I got a good cross on Taz with my inbred ole Stupe bitches.

If you bitch needs something to build up the constitution of her pups, I'd get Reddog to set you up with one of Tom and Eva's stud dogs. jmho

Bud may be sending a young hound back over to the NE to be used at stud. His name is Boomer, he'll be in the Mass. area.

mrbazile

Post by mrbazile »

I have made the patch satsuma cross severel times with outstanding results, other than myself the only other person in the south that has the cross is my Mr Bobby Bryant in Mississippi, This cross produces hard hitting run to catch type hounds, the best cross seems to be the superior patch/Satsuma cross, these dogs could do it and do it right.
http://www.tripplebkennels.webs.com
PP GrBch PP RCH Bramlett's Black Topper
Bazile's Black ace of diamond
Bazile's Black Diamond
Rough River Leo
Bazile's Black Jade
Jmac's Clay Hills Topsie

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

sr patch>
browning is her father. she will turn three this year and she is my favorite dog she will die at my place and money cant buy her. I bred her to darrel shildts smoke dog last year and all the pups are turning out to be great. if i cant find another suitable dog Ill breed to him or darrells willie dog. they both are good running dogs that throw good pups. problem is alot of the dogs around here are very close related. and I am trying to find something a little different to give myself and some of my buddiess\ an option around here. I was trying to go out alittle and come back in to patch. I was going to try to get ahold of you and see if you had something that wouldnt be really tight blood. if ya do send me a pm.

thanks sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Everything I got I bred close.
I got Charlie back from Gilbert Copp, he is Casey bred back to his mama's sister Peaches. He's 9 yr old now.
I bred Horn back to his cuz Two Spot(horn's mama and Two spot's daddy were bro & sis, Lazy Acres)(Two spot's daddy is a bro to Charlie and Horn's mama is Spirit Patch , use this as outcross as it brings old hounds in the pedigree up closer, they have good bone and mouth to offset any weakness I get from line/inbreeding stupe, so hope she has a big stout male for me to carry on with.
Boomer's daddy is Hawk, a bro to Charlie.
None of these hounds were clones, so each cross just reshuffles the genes of the proven hounds in the pedigree but gives you the best odds of qualities we like matching up. Don't worry so much about relationship within the family and concentrate on selection... ;)

Have you talked to Marra's about Dozer, he's an awful nice hound.

I got a pup from Taz X Lucy again, looks the spit'n image of Reddog's Jasper pup. I try to get a pic and put up. Reddog won't believe it, I couldn't believe it! I would stamp every pup to look like him if I could... :lol:

chascmp

Re: Mr Bazile

Post by chascmp »

you and Mr Bobby will have some company before long with the Satsuma/Superior Patch cross. i am looking at crossing my Superior Patch Dot female on a satsuma hound.

you sold the Dot female correct???

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

I went down to Mr. Bryants place this past December and ran with him for a day at his place and sat around in his club house BSing with him. He is well off and has a really nice running ground with lots of inclosures to run it. He has done quit well with the satsuma X patch cross from what he told me. Here is his site if you want to find out and learn anymore about this type of cross.
http://www.cartercreekkennels.com/
Wish you luck in your search.
Elliott Peters