I hate to do this........

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

hounddog

Re: I hate to do this........

Post by hounddog »

I guess it's time to fess up! They don't call me hounddog for nothing. Tooooooooooooo many years of being single. It ain't for everyone, but I'm having the time of my life! :shock:
I was married with a kid when I was a senior in High School. My wife was 15 years old. I had to sign for her to get her drivers permit! :shock: That was a tough road but I learned a lot and became a man early in life. I never got to do what the average teenager did so I guess I'm now making up for all that lost time. :D
I'm always impressed when I hear stories of couples married for 25, 30 years as it is something I was never able to do. Best of luck to all, regardless which route you may take.

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

Laurie feeds my dogs when I ask, and does a lot around the house.
I go wherever I want to when i want to, but so does she. We have a joint checking account that we dont argue about.
She dont run with me any, it bores her!! But she does love ole Honey.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

When I lived in New Hampshire and had coonhounds there was an older fellow lived across the river in Vermont that also kept coonhounds.His wife had passed on and he'd been a widower for quite awhile.He and I had hunted together a couple of times and he was quite the character.If he had been from the south you probably would have called hin a hillbilly.Just a real backwoods Vermonter or a "woodchuck" [northern hillbilly ].LOL.
He started dating a gal about his age and everything was fine so he finally asked her to marry him and move out to the farm.Shortly there after she gave him the "ultimatum", "if you get any more hounds I'm leaving".
He waited until she went to town one day and went to all his hunting buddies and borrowed all their hounds and then picked up a couple more strays and when she got home he had them hitched to every tree in his yard.Now you know the rest of the story.........................True too.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

DRamey

Post by DRamey »

FSL, you gave me an idea. I have always wanted to reload but never found the time. I will buy all the stuff and get my Honey to do it. the only downside to my wife of 15 years being into beagling and the outdoors is that I have two hounds that are family that aren't as good as I would normally keep, but that isn't entirely wife's fault, as I have a 7 yr old daughter that has a say as well. She likes the one that rolls over and begs to be petted!
"My past is coming up into my future and messin' with my good life"--Jesco White, 1991
"I enjoyed myself from within myself on behalf of myself"--Jesco White, 1991

FlyinSoLow

Post by FlyinSoLow »

DRamey wrote:FSL, you gave me an idea. I have always wanted to reload but never found the time. I will buy all the stuff and get my Honey to do it. the only downside to my wife of 15 years being into beagling and the outdoors is that I have two hounds that are family that aren't as good as I would normally keep, but that isn't entirely wife's fault, as I have a 7 yr old daughter that has a say as well. She likes the one that rolls over and begs to be petted!
I must admit, I did MAKE my guy get our beagle fixed...
I could not handle having to cull or even sell puppies, I get way too attached.
I love them all, like a typical woman.
The plan is when we have our own house and land he can get more and keep them outside and do what he wants with them. I have the dog we have now as a pet, and thats enough... and I know when he gets into it more things will be different with those dogs, becuase they have to be.

The biggest battle we have with our dog is everyone wants to feed her, becuase she sits up really cute, and she is rather adorable.... and like all beagles she LOVES food. So I take her running a lot, and when the weather is hot she goes swimming to stay in shape... I know that if she lives outside like a normal hunting dog this would be less of an issue! :lol:

I should also add: I did have practice with reloading before becuase my dad showed me how to do it for him when I was 7 or 8 so when he was downstairs working on other things he would let me work at his bench and reload...my dad had 3 girls (I'm the middle) and My older sister and I wanted to do everything he did. Funny how that is when your little. Eventually we grew out of that phase haha...

EDIT TO ADD:
The main reason I reload is becase I enjoy shotting trap (but so do the guys) every saturday during the nice weather.
That being said I only reload 20g and 410's ... becuase that is all I shoot (I'm 4 foot 11inches and go a whopping 100lbs tops so I shoot light guns :oops: )
Marissa Everett

"A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study." ~Chinese Proverb

Margaret Ethridge

Post by Margaret Ethridge »

I guess I'm one of those rare women too. I deer hunt (dawn to dusk) if I can , Trout fish, and have at this time 5 beagles
and I trial. My husband of 27 years hates all three but lets me do my own thing. He helps drag the deer in for me ( I have to gut 'em though) and when I'm sick he'll feed the dogs reluctantly. He always teases my daughters and says," If your Mom
has a dog box on the back of her truck you might be a redneck!"
It's funny to me to hear all you guys moan about your wives giving you hell about your dogs and the time you spend with them - that's what my husband does!! So I know if anything ever happens to our relationship I won't have too look far to find someone with the same interests! I'll just come to this website!!
ME

ddetar00

Post by ddetar00 »

ME....

That's funny... kinda like one of those Twilight Zone episodes where everything is opposite from the norm.

"Detar's HunkerDown Hounds"
Hunter / Chase / Twister

Joseph J Murphy

Post by Joseph J Murphy »

Jim:
I hate to hear that you are going thru that kind of thing.I was going to suggest that maybe you could trade her toward a good hound but I hear thru the grapevine that you already have a kennel full of them.

J Murphy
Bring on Dream Team 3 !!!!!!

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

Joseph J Murphy wrote:Jim:
I hate to hear that you are going thru that kind of thing.I was going to suggest that maybe you could trade her toward a good hound but I hear thru the grapevine that you already have a kennel full of them.

J Murphy

Thanks for the kind words, Joe and if I could find someone to trade maybe a good pocket knife, I would, let alone, a good hound. ! lol
Things are fine in my world and I hope they are in yours. :nod:

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

When I grow up I wanna be like ol hounddog. Single life isn't so bad. I come and go as I want. Already went through the whole divorce ordeal myself once. Didn't lose my dogs thank goodness, I like them more, they don't talk back! lol :lol:
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

TC

Post by TC »

Me n JC have been together over 20 years now..
She knows More about our hounds Sometimes than I Do :oops:
The only problem i have is her Dogs are always better n Mine!!!!
Caint get a Divorce She Shoots better n me too :shock:
Does most all of the pup trainin
Gota Ask her Which Dog Am I takin This Weekend LOL
Oh And Some of our best hounds Are also House pets too!!!!
if ya Dont like Dog hair you wont be Comfy here!!!
Even KC our Daughter is into it!! Raising rabbits For our Runnin pen....
The hounds are pretty much OUR way of life
Wouldnt have it any other way!!!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

Maybe I am the only one...but CONGRATS Jim!!!!! I say run the dogs, make some more of that good wine (if you have any extra I know a fat boy that loves it ;) ), and enjoy life. I would never leave the cabin if I was you. Just keep living the high life!
I guess Crabby does have it good. Lorrie will feed for him and is a heck of a cook at the hunts! She makes everything from beans and cornbread to Cornish hen. Hard to beat that!
As far as Bill goes, his wife will feed for him...and ...errrr...ummm...tried to cook. :chef: . But she lets him hang out with low lives like me and Tim.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

i wouldn't take a million dollars for my wife but i wouldn't give a nickle for another one :nod:
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

big mike 50

Post by big mike 50 »

Well put stavemill :!: :lol: :lol: :!:
When the tailgate drops the bull$#!t stops

Schag

Post by Schag »

Funny post and some of it very true.

My Grandfather taught me a valuable lesson many years ago. He told me that if I ever get married, and the wife wants me to do something, mess it up badly...she will never ask you to do it again. She will be happy to see you going to run dogs because you can't mess anything up at home!!

Seriously, I have been married five years now with two little ones at the house. I don't run dogs nearly as much as I used to when I was single, but my wife is pretty cool about the beagles. We compromise, you shop Friday, I hunt all day Saturday. :bigsmile: I sometimes think of my single days and miss them some, but if I would have stayed single, I would have ran dogs tonight by myself. Instead, I took me little three year old son. Can't stay out as long with him, but enjoyed it ten times as much. I don't know yet if I will pass down what G-pa passed to me, but come to think of it, he sees me mess up around the house a lot. :bigsmile: