20 Ga. rabbit guns,any info. on these?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

20 Ga. rabbit guns,any info. on these?

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I'm looking at some over and under guns.Have always shot Remington 870 pump guns but have always wanted to own an O/U.
Looking at the Remington SPR 310 made by Baikal in Russia and imported by Rem. $360.00,the Franchi Diamond made in Italy and sold exclusively by Dick's Sporting Goods $800.00,Stevens 512 Goldwing made in Turkey $600.00,Stoeger STF 3000 made in Brazil and sold by Dick's $360.00 and the Ithaca Silver Reserve sold by Wal-Mart for $500.00.
I know these are considered the "lower" end guns for O/U shotguns but I'm not going to pay the price for a Ruger Red Label or Browning Citori [Upwards of $1,500 ] for a rabbit/brush gun.
The reports give pretty good marks for the Remington and the Stoeger,not very favorable for the Stevens and Ithaca and about 50/50 mixed on the Franchi.
Anyone out there got any experience with them? Thanks for any info.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

BCBeagles

Re: 20 Ga. rabbit guns,any info. on these?

Post by BCBeagles »

One of my best hunting buddies has a Stoeger and it is nice shooting tight made gun for the price. I would definitely own one. They are low maintanance and
overall a real nice gun from what I have seen out of it. The model he has is relatively light and some of them can be like carrying a log! Be sure and check weights on
them before you buy, I know that is a big issue for me when you carry it all day. Hope this helps.

2500 HD

Post by 2500 HD »

I carry a Bakail 20 ga., before Remington bought them, I love it. It has never let me down. Crome lined barrels, changeable chokes, top safety, selectable trigger, and you can turn the ejecters on or off. Same identical stock demensions as a Browning Superpose (compared them side by side with a friends). Liked it so much I collected the entire set. .410, 28, 20, 16, & 12 ga. Dang nice gun for the money in m y opinion. I have shot many 25 on the skeet range with each of the guns except the .410 (fixed improved Mod. & fixed full chokes).

cburchett77

Post by cburchett77 »

I have A stoeger o/u 12 ga. I use it for dove hunting. It is probably the best shooting gun I have ever owned. Definitely the best for the money I believe. The only thing I don't like about it is, it does not have auto eject. If you buy one just make sure it does.
Clyde Burchett

http://pleasanthillbeagles.webs.com

cburchett77@yahoo.com

GOD SENT HIS SON TO DIE FOR YOU ALSO!!

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

Dana-

Bass Pro has both their Stoeger O/U and SxS for $349. I called up to ask them something about the 20 ga. Stoeger SxS I have and got them to price them while on the phone. Anyway, not sure what model they were quoting to compare apples to apples. You can also go to the Stoeger website and get a lot of info. and feedback from their customers.

I have mainly had Browning shotguns, but I do like the Stoeger I have for rabbit hunting. Its compact, light, solid and does the job and is not so expensive that you hesitate to plow threw a briar thicket w/ it.

-Pete
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I've got a Stoeger O/U combo gun, it comes with a set of 20 gauge barrels and a set of 12 gauge barrels. I like it alot, the gun itself is a little heavy for an O/U and you need to watch your hangs when you close the to prevent battle scars due to the sharpness of the edges but for the price they are hard to beat.

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

i have the Charles Daly 20. It is light and the cost keeps you from getting upset if it gets scratched. Oh yeah they have a lifetime gurantee. If it breaks you ship it back to the manufacturer and they fix it.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

PikeKy

Post by PikeKy »

It's not an o/u but last season I hunted allot with a youth model 20 ga. charles daly semi auto it was awesome, and I'm a pretty good sized guy to be hunting with a youth gun. The gun felt good was ligh as a feather, no malfunctions, and looked good to boot. As far as the over and unders or whatever my take on it is I buy guns to use not to sit in the safe if they get scratched I guess that adds character. You'll remeber that time you were hunting and......

doubleb

Post by doubleb »

hey dana tried to call you a couple of weeks ago to tell the little female still having some ill effects from the snake bite it has been hard on her but shes making it looks like she got bit about three diffent times.as for the popa part Angel and I are the proud parents of Behr Bryson 7lbs and 9oz.when you get up this way call we will run see ya later Brian P.S. if you get here before you buy a shotgun give me a yell and ill take you to Benton shooting supply they have several diffrent over and under from high to low end

cmchap

Post by cmchap »

you owe it to yourself to check out the doubles which are imported by CZ-USA ..The Huglu guns are a great product for the money. I held each of the guns mentioned and for me, the Huglu was a good choice. I picked up a brand new Huglu 20 ga. mallard for less than $500 and have been thrilled with it. locks up tight, shoulders well, great looking, and comes with a complete set of choke tubes. they have a number of shotguns to choose from depending on budget.