Do You Prefer A Male Or A Female?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Schaeffersbeagles

Do You Prefer A Male Or A Female?

Post by Schaeffersbeagles »

What do you prefer? And Why?

I prefer males..Because I have 2 males and 2 females and when the girls go into heat the boys are crazy! that last week is enough to make me never wanna have a girl again...lol. but i do know some prefer females over males and visversua (sp). But if Ella is pragnant we are keeping at least one. Just have to figure which sex. Though Ty is the only boy out of his litter. Does that matter?

Robyn

cburchett77

Re: Do You Prefer A Male Or A Female?

Post by cburchett77 »

It has to be females for me. I have always found it easier to fool with females. Males always seam to be peeing on everyhthing while they should be hunting. I think it is like every other male in this world. They just have too much on their mind.(too much of one thing I mean) But you have females coming into heat. And most of the time it is in a bad time. I try to keep both, but I would rather have more females than males.
Clyde Burchett

http://pleasanthillbeagles.webs.com

cburchett77@yahoo.com

GOD SENT HIS SON TO DIE FOR YOU ALSO!!

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

females only.13 inch also.

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

Females & 13 inch for me too.I spay mine so the heat thing is no problem.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I keep females for two reasons.One, I just enjoy their personality more.There can only be one Alpha dog around my kennel and it's always going to be me. Male hounds always seem to think it's them!
The other reason is because I can raise pups out of them.In over 40 years of keeping hunting dogs I've always been very interested in breeding and genetics and trying to put together this cross or that one .Kind of like a sculptor sitting with a lump of unformed clay in front of him.You have the ability to at least attempt to put together something where you actually [through your selection process ] have a direct influence in the result.
In my opinion it is much easier to find that real top stud dog than it is to find an outstanding reproducing female.The goal for me in my small backyard kennel and the one litter that I raise every year or two is to have very good females.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

If we have any kind of breeding program we need to keep both particularly if a linebreeder
my preference would be a good male or a good female depending on the cross made

Schag

Post by Schag »

Years ago I enjoyed running male hounds more than I did females, but as of lately, I have been having a difficult time finding a male that suits me. I don't think I have become more critical of dogs in general, just haven't had the luck with them. With that being said, I prefer a male or female that can flat run a rabbit. But... if I had to pick, I guess the advantage would go to a nice male hound. The alpha problem does not bother me, I like a hound that I have to swat with my hat every once in a while. Lord knows I needed it when I was little and still do from time to time. :biggrin: I don't mind a little "back talk" from a good hound. :bigsmile:

Spruce Ridge Beagler

Post by Spruce Ridge Beagler »

I think males are a little more exciting to run but females for me have always been the dogs that would bring the rabbit to the gun every time, just a little more borring.
SUCCESS- When preparation and opportunity cross paths!

Schaeffersbeagles

Post by Schaeffersbeagles »

Wow thanks for all the insight everyone. my male is very egere to please to where my female is just a laid back girl though it only took her 1 time on the collar to start listening to me. My male I am finding is a seer doesn't use his nose so much. We have a lot of the wild R's in my back yard and he goes nuts and if you say the R word he carries on. Now my girl she uses her nose but I never trusted her alone. So now that she listens better she will go out and learn too. But I guess I just have to wait to see what and if I get to pick anything.

Thanks again

RABBITBUTCHER

Post by RABBITBUTCHER »

FEMALES FOR ME,MALES ARE A LOT OF TROUBLE AND MALES ARE IN HEAT 24/7.
HOME OF HOF FC FLETCHER'S ELECTRA

Ed Brown

Post by Ed Brown »

As far as hunting goes, I guess I give the nod to the boys. I do hunt with a friend who has a real nice female who is a pleasure to hunt with, she's spayed. However, as far as breeding, if you have a good running female, maybe even an AKC champion, you have countless number of good males to choose from. Someone else finishes them as champs and you get to choose from a real big crowd of males to breed your good female.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Females for me also but when you get a good male , he is usually a nice dog. I like big dogs 15"class.

just for fun beagler

Post by just for fun beagler »

females for me. i do own a male and for the first half hour of hunting he is to busy peeing and pooping all over the place while the females are busy hunting.
Home Of:
GRPCH Platts Rowdy Molly Bell
GRHBCH Halfway Frenchmans Mazie
Platts Princess Missy Wine
The up and comeing:
Platts Halfway Trails Briar Buster
Platts DT Striker Jr

yellow mt. kennels

Post by yellow mt. kennels »

I like the girls, and always have. I just find that you have to go through twice as many males as you do females to find that very good above average rabbit dawg. But with that said, when you find one he's usually hard to beat and worth the effort it takes. And dad used to say he liked to keep a mixture of males and females just to keep the others honest in the pack. The old man in my pack is 10, and is still the first one in the bushes and the last one out. He's slowed down a step or so, but is still the same dawg everytime out. CONSISTENT!!!! And that's the key to a good above average male for me, or any for that matter. And he throws it in his pups also.

Jmaes Davis
Yellow Mt. Kennels
Yellow Mt. Kennels
Home of P/pack H.O.F. Competition Hound
Dual Grand Champion Yellow Mt. Gay Jewel

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Females for me and only ONE MALE and the male has to be a darn good one to stick around with me.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels