Feeding question (amount)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Smoke'n Mack

Feeding question (amount)

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

When you guys say you feed your dogs a cup of food...Does this mean basically like a "1 cup" measuring cup that I'm about to steal from my mothers kitchen?? :twisted:

I'm feeding my pups purina puppy chow now but their waste is extremely loose, and a lot of it most of the time. I pretty much let them eat as much as they want (4 months old) but I need to get them straightened out. I just wormed them as well just to see if it was worms. Also, judging by http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com the food I am using is basically garbage. So I think i'm going to switch to one of the top tier foods even thought it will cost probably double. I know for a lot of you this is not feasible but I only have 2 hounds so I want them feeling as good as possible.

Joeyman

Re: Feeding question (amount)

Post by Joeyman »

I'm thinking about going with BlackGold Puppy chow for my pup.

and I use a measuring cup. I feed 1-1/2 for the females and 2cups for my giant male.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

i feed one cup... i just use a soup can to dip mine out with... ive been going back and forth on feeding raw... seems like all the dog foods out there are not rated very high....... and have nothing but junk in them....

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

That's basically what I've been finding with any of the brands that I can buy at a wal-mart etc...I can however get Taste of the Wild at my local TSC, however it costs 40 dollars for a 30 pound bag. There is no grain added and a lot of meat ingredients. I realize this is high but like I said, only feeding two dogs so if they eat less and do better, I think it'd be worth it. Does anyone else feed this??

Emery

Post by Emery »

Joeyman wrote:I'm thinking about going with BlackGold Puppy chow for my pup.

and I use a measuring cup. I feed 1-1/2 for the females and 2cups for my giant male.

Joey, don't waste your money with the puppy formula from Black Gold. I talked with a distributor back when I lived in ID and he told me that the black bag is what he fed his pups from the time they could eat. It meets all the FDA requirements for puppy food anyway and it is way less expensive than the puppy formula.

You can, however, do what you want (who am I to tell anyone how to care for their animals) but I just figured I would try and save you some money.

Emery

BTW, we are going to have to get together sometime over my Christmas break this year and run some dawgs.
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

yellow mt. kennels

Post by yellow mt. kennels »

I feed one (11 1/2 oz) coffee can full every other day. When running or training every day, or in mid winter when it's very cold I add another 1/2 can on the off days. Puppies get to eat as much as they want until they get started. Then they get put on the schedule like the others. But they still get puppy feed until they are one year old, then they eat the adult feed.

James Davis
Yellow Mt. Kennels
Yellow Mt. Kennels
Home of P/pack H.O.F. Competition Hound
Dual Grand Champion Yellow Mt. Gay Jewel

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

Joey, do you feed that amount just once a day or once in the morning and once in the evening???

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Once a day. 9pm is my feeding time. My pup is feed twice a day though. As much as she can fit in her lil tummy. Last night I tossed in left over BBQ a few hotdogs and a left over piece of meat some kind......lol just split it up among them. Puppy gets one raw egg cracked over her feed a few times a week.

I have them on BlackGold Yellow bag. I'm switching to Black Bag here real soon. Steppin up the running so steppin up the feed quality.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

just for fun beagler

Post by just for fun beagler »

2 1/2 cups a day for all the dogs chicken broth on there food 3 times a week baby rice cerial once a week or the vitamens.
Home Of:
GRPCH Platts Rowdy Molly Bell
GRHBCH Halfway Frenchmans Mazie
Platts Princess Missy Wine
The up and comeing:
Platts Halfway Trails Briar Buster
Platts DT Striker Jr

Triple_S

Post by Triple_S »

i like the black bag.
dogs look good and easy clean up.

Nor' Easter

Post by Nor' Easter »

I've been seeing the best results out of Iam's Smart Puppy food (small breed) Nice dark hard poo. Easy to get rid of. Pups need good food ( 8Kg. bag $22 in Canada) I'm sure it's cheaper in the US.

ddetar00

Post by ddetar00 »

Black Gold - Black Bag. 1-1/2 cups in the evening (around 7:00). WAS feeding eukanuba Maintenance, but @ 45.00 a 40 # bag, could not
justify paying for the merketing when EVERYONE on here holds Black Gold in such high regards. I mixed the eukanuba puppy with the
black gold and once that is gone the pups will be on black gold like the big dogs.

10 week old bluetik still real loose stool... but improving.

D

"Detar's HunkerDown Hounds"
Hunter / Chase / Twister