"BORN DEER PROOF"

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

greenesbeagles

"BORN DEER PROOF"

Post by greenesbeagles »

Been on the board a while now and read a lot of threads,some good some not so good,learnd a lot that I did not know thats for sure.Thats what this board is for right? Who knows whats right or what is wrong,I do know this my dogs put the hare in a loop and back to the gun,they could or could not do this when I bought them.But I do know one thing they were not DEER PROOF naturaly, meaning they were not born like that it took some work.But it sure is easyier than the olden days when you had to use a stick or flashlight.Now we have the e-collar,thank god,but what I am trying to get at I geuss is I do not beleive that htere is no such thing as a naturally deer broke dog,or atleist I have not seen one and beleive this I have had a lot of hounds over the years.Keith.

chapkosbeagles

Re: "BORN DEER PROOF"

Post by chapkosbeagles »

out of 50 hounds i have found 1 so that is my ratio 50 to 1 :lol: :lol:

scootersjill

Post by scootersjill »

got a 5 yr old female has never made a move to run one. but there is times you cant get her to run anything. :biggrin:
skillet creek jammin jill RIP
skillet creek suzie Q
D-N-J"s Hammerin Hannah
Mike's Sunrise Scooter

B-man

Post by B-man »

There are a few guys who say they have a naturally deer proof line. Maybe they do??????? But I think it is more along the lines of being started on rabbits or hare, with no exposure to deer until they are matured.

If I were to take any 6 month old started pup and drop it on a fresh deer track, I would only expect one outcome........

Shotgun John

Post by Shotgun John »

That's why I like my little starting pen. expose them to a lot of rabbit til all the want is to find a rabbit.

golden acres

Post by golden acres »

I have had two. I currently still have one of them and has turned down many a race.
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I used to do a lot of bear hunting with hounds back in the 70's with Leet and Willard Ware from Vermont.They had a black and Tan male they used for their strike dog named Smiley.Ol Smiley had over 100 bear killed in front of him.
One day we had cast Smiley up on a Beech Ridge to see if the bear had been working the nuts.He opened up and in no time was moving on.I was waiting for Leet to tell me to dump the other dogs in but he was just listening as Smiley ran.I asked"why aren't you cutting some other dogs in to him? and Leet said ,cause he ain't running a bear.Well what is he running then and Leet sheepishly replied"sounds like a 10 pointer to me! "
I couldn't believe Ol Smiley would trash as he had quite a reputation as a top bear dog.Leet said about once a year Smiley would get it in his mind to bust out on a deer and give them what for.Other than that he'd never give one a second look and we always used him as the strike dog.
Claude Foote from New Hampshire had a Grand Nite Champion Plott hound that had won the New England Coonhunter's Reunion.An exceptional competition hound and all round cooner.Only problem was you couldn't run young dogs with him.He hated being used as a pup trainer and if you took out some young dogs with him the first thing he would do is go jump a deer and get all the young dogs running that deer.Then he would quit it and come back and tree a coon for you like he was Mister Innocent!
Be careful when you say "my dog NEVER will run a deer".
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

jfields

Post by jfields »

Its an urban legend , lol. No such thing.
Breed Em Good & Run Em Hard
http://shadywoodzkennels.tripod.com/index.html
James Fields
Home.304 426 - 5005
Cell....304 785 -1003

chuck r

Post by chuck r »

Don`t beleive there`s such a thing. When I raised fox hounds I bred McBeth to Hensleys Whitte, Neither would run deer. Every pup they had would run deer. Never say never guys it will bite you in the end.

Dave Swiger

Post by Dave Swiger »

Not saying there is no such thing, but I've never seen it. I tell my boys, if you breed high power hunt dogs...it's not a question of if, but a question of when.

Dave Swiger

cburchett77

Post by cburchett77 »

I have to say they're is a such thing. I don't believe someone has a deer proof line of dogs. I had a female back in the late 90's, and from day one she would not run anything but a rabbit. I don't know what made her like that, but it didn't matter if you had a pack of 4 or 5 dogs after it, she would turn around and come right back. She would stand around at your feet for a minute and then she would go back to hunting. I never even scolded her on anything. Can't explain it, but I would take a dozen more just like her.

I have got two pups right now that I have run all summer 2 or 3 days a week, and so far they have not run any trash. But that's not saying they would not back a dog up. I don't run with dogs that run trash either. That makes a difference.

You find someone that has a natural trash proof line of dogs you give them my number. I will take a few.
Clyde Burchett

http://pleasanthillbeagles.webs.com

cburchett77@yahoo.com

GOD SENT HIS SON TO DIE FOR YOU ALSO!!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I have had two and still own one. One was a male I had from 2.5 years til he died at 12 and he never ran a deer with or without dogs. He would go check them and be back
in short order. We have three pups out of him and all had to be broke off deer. None were hard to break, but had to be broke. I have another female here that has never ran a
deer, she is 3.5 years old and will go to dogs and come back. She has followed along on some chases, but never opened. I would NEVER say a dog is deer proof cause there dogs!
Too many variables to say never.

flash

Post by flash »

Anyone who thinks they have one hasn't had hounds very long . Any hound could take one any day . I have a beagle that is 10 years old and hasn't took one since he was 6 months old and if any other dog get on " junk " he will go to the judges feet and sit down. But he could make a " junk " run the next time I put him on the ground .
LPGRCH GRID IRON SUNDOWN BACK STREET TANK
FLASH'S BUCKEYE BULLET
FLASH'S IMUS IN THE MORNING
2nd place is the first loser

kenjames

Post by kenjames »

O.K. it is my turn. I had a lemon and white gyp that would never run a deer in company or out of company . Anything jump a deer she came back to me even when she was a pup and I never raised my voice to her. She would stay with me until I told her to move out and she would find a rabbit and run it . I kept her until she died at age 15 years old. I also had a Tri- colored gyp that I would told you she would not run off game and she didn't until she was 9 years old. I was running with a guy that had some young dogs they left on a deer and she went with them . She liked and I gave her away. The man I gave her to said she never ran another deer. You tell me . I know a man that claims to have had a bloodline that would not run deer naturally , but is not what I saw from his dogs.
Camp Hill Kennels: Home to Lemon and White Beagles

JStorer

Post by JStorer »

Every dog I have or have had will not run deer. After u bury them :D