bells

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

B-man

Re: bells

Post by B-man »

My dogs go nuts when they hear a bell!

They know if I put a bell on their neck that they get to go chase some bunnies! :biggrin:

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

My dogs go nuts when they hear a bell!

They know if I put a bell on their neck that they get to go chase some bunnies
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

les guynn wrote:I have been using bells for 8 years they are good for young hunters, they may help some dogs in trials, but some judges wouldn't care if you had the liberty bell on them' yotes another question, i think it helps to some degree i have had some yotes hit some dogs that did not have bells, and all the others did and not get hit , but i always remember i had one real good female that had a bell on and they killed her. i have never had trouble with any dog being spooked by a bell. and i will always run with a bell on my dogs because they work most of the time. NOTHING IS PERFECT.
les guynn you've had dogs attacked by yotes in Maryland?

SwampBuck

Post by SwampBuck »

I use them for a reference to where the dogs are, keep off game away and it also helps start the rabbits running.

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

mdbeagler,yes i have yotes in md, i live in allagany county i do a lot of running in garret co. we where running up ther on a monday morning last summer with 6 dogs,when every thing went silent 2 of are dogs came running back and 4 just disapeared, hunted for them 6 days no trace, 1 came in to a farm and i was called sunday morning, 1 dog then sunday night 1 dog, went up the next morning found 2 dogs 1 dead, the rest had to be taken to the vet,they recovered. yes we have yotes in md and lots of them.3 dogs had bells 3 did not, the 1 killed did. mine where the belled ones.

Cutemloose

Post by Cutemloose »

i just put the bell on my pup one time right before he went hunting he messed with it for a second i put him in the dog box got to the spot let him out and it didnt bother him after that
Team Trackemdown- Missouri Rabbits Running For Their Lives

madcatter

Post by madcatter »

personally they annoy me.and i dont understand that a coyote will run down a beagle in front of us,yelling and screaming at it ,it still chases the hound and bites that a bell would do anything to help that.
they may help with some yotes,but there will be a time when nuthin is gonna stop that bastard but a gunshot.hopefully none of us see it again or for the first time.

Shotgun John

Post by Shotgun John »

How are your bells attached and what are your likes and dislikes for the type of bell you use and problems with the way they are attached. Pics would be nice.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

All this makes sense on why people use bells But i hunted with a guy couple winters back and when his dogs bailed out of the truck they had so much equipment hanging around thier neck they looked like Robo Cop

brush_hog

Post by brush_hog »

I like bells and use them, especially in gun season. The only draw-back to them is I've found the hounds have a little more trouble hearing you call them with the bells on, so you end up shocking them a little more often.

Joe

allniter

Post by allniter »

I think the bells are ok on older dogs but if you are hunting pups or young dogs ---what I have seen is the young dogs will stand and listen for a bell ---the next time out take the bell off the older dog and watch the pup
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

brush_hog

Post by brush_hog »

Shotgun John wrote:How are your bells attached and what are your likes and dislikes for the type of bell you use and problems with the way they are attached. Pics would be nice.
The handiest ones I've found are Remington brand. They have a tough nylon strap with a loop attached to a miniature copper cowbell. I then thread the loop from the strap on to a key ring and attach it to my dog's rings on their collar. The bells can be had at Tractor Supply for $2.50 or $2.99 (or something like that), and they are worry free till you wear them out after several years.

Joe