Runnin Em Hard = Mo Limit.....Rabbit Hunt Oct 31st & Nov 1st

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

Runnin Em Hard = Mo Limit.....Rabbit Hunt Oct 31st & Nov 1st

Post by Joeyman »

Just like the title says we runnin hard here in Missouri. Its been a great season so far and I hope everyone is having a successful rabbit season like we've been. Saturday I loaded up the hounds and headed out with Dad. Just me and the ol man with the hounds. You can't beat that. He's going in for knee replacement surgery Mid November. He can barely walk when we're out hunting. He is in pain every step of the way. I try and tell him to stay home but he insist to come cause after the surgery he'll be out for the rest of the season. So we take our time with several mini breaks to rest and he does alot of sitting and standing while I work the dogs and I tried my best to get him some shots. It resulted to a great day in the field. I managed to get my limit and Dad was 1 short.....lol I even yelled and screamed HEY ONE'S HEADED YOUR WAY. The rabbit was about 3ft from him and miss after miss he got away from us. I have no idea what happened to the rabbit. The dogs ran him somemore then shut down. I think it holed. We called it a day. Probably ran close to 15 rabbits and took out 11 of them.

Here are a few video links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aULWzKqwTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qGhYzt8qw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7CIo_Gyk8s

Video of a run thru the woods. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXxwhBXqnWo

Some of the cover we ran in. As we entered this we saw 3-4 deer jump out. I wasn't worried. Not a one paid attention to the deer scent.

We like to hunt the thick stuff. The thicker the better is what I say.

The days kill. Dogs did a great job for us.

Nov 1st Hunt - Since my dad couldn't even move a muscle by the end of saturday I was happy to have my hunting friend Kevin out with me. He brought along his beagle Odie. We started off slow not hitting any thing much. I was still confident and keep trucking along. Didn't take to much longer and My big male Pistol sounded off and we had a hot bunny on the run. All the dogs did a fantastic job for us. We were able to take out 6 rabbits in just a couple hours. Think we ended the hunt around 10:30am and headed on home for the day. Thanks Kevin for hunting with me. We'll for sure put on more hunts.

We cooked up two rabbits for dinner. A few rabbit pieces cleansed well. Boil in water. Then finish cooking in pasta sauce. It was great.

Had a very nice flavor and went great with our pasta dish.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

huntall50

Re: Runnin Em Hard = Mo Limit.....Rabbit Hunt Oct 31st & Nov 1st

Post by huntall50 »

Man you guys are really into the rabbits, congrats!

Cutemloose

Post by Cutemloose »

Nice job you and pop laid the hammer down on em
Team Trackemdown- Missouri Rabbits Running For Their Lives

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Cutemloose wrote:Nice job you and pop laid the hammer down on em

You missed out cutem. Do you see odie in the pic. I'm holding him. He wouldn't hold still for the pic........lol I had to put him in a head lock...... :lol:

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Nice hunt Joey !!! I see you upgraded the box too :check: .

Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

lifehog

Post by lifehog »

Congrats looks like you guys had a blast.

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

Sounds like a fun day out with the dogs and the ol man. Congrats!
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

JUDE wrote:Nice hunt Joey !!! I see you upgraded the box too :check: .

Yep jude thats my OWENS dog box No storage. Fits under the tonnue cover perfect. They had a 48x48 but I got the 48x36 I think it is so it isn't so deep. Plenty room for lots of dogs. Its insulated too. Only thing I have trouble with is sometimes the slam latches don't want to work so well. Its like the alum warps and you really have to slam the door for it to shut.

mobeagle wrote:Sounds like a fun day out with the dogs and the ol man. Congrats!
Thanks mobeagle it sure was a great day. I"m planning on hunting with him again Friday. Then deer season kicks in and we'll try and see if he can't get a deer me aswell. He knee replacement is scheduled for Nov 20th. Hopefully before season is out he can get out there on a few more rabbit hunts.

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

Your guys rabbit population out there in MO makes me slober down my chin. I'm gona have to make it a point to get out there and do some hunten with ya Joey. Good job and congrats on all your hunts you've posted.
Elliott

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

Thanks mobeagle it sure was a great day. I"m planning on hunting with him again Friday. Then deer season kicks in and we'll try and see if he can't get a deer me aswell. He knee replacement is scheduled for Nov 20th. Hopefully before season is out he can get out there on a few more rabbit hunts.[/quote]
Joeyman

You ever get up this way shoot me pm and we'll go chase a few. Theres a ton of rabbits here and the land is privately owned I have access to thousands of acres of private land. I feel sorry for the guys looking for places to hunt i've got access to land I've never even hunted. Theres so much ground owned by 3 individuals here that are all friends of mine I could never hunt it all. Must be rough to have to hunt public ground.
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Thanks for the invite mobeagle. I just may take you up on that offer. I like running with other dogs to see whats out there. Plus gives me a chance to see other dogs besides mine all the time. Do you run a certain bloodline or just some good ol gun-dog stock?

I come up that way mostly Macon County area. Also near atlanta Mo to rabbit hunt. I also hunt near EDINA mo aswell. Its roughly a 3hr or so drive one way not to bad of a drive once a week or twice a month or so. I don't head up that way till Janurary and Feburary. Thats when we do our big rabbit hunts on private property. We only hit the farms up that way once a season. And you're right tons of rabbits. I love hunting wood draws with crops on eachside be it corn or beans. After they harvest them the rabbits are forced to hide out in the wooddraws. and those wood strips are typically very very thick also brushpile infested. I love hunting northern MO.

-Joey