Guys I need some help. My dog is at the vet Hosp. (Home Now)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

Re: Guys I need some help. My dog is at the vet Hospital

Post by Joeyman »

spoke to vet don't look like he is going to make it........ :cry:
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I can not believe this is happening right now. How in the world did he get so sick. He was good. I hunted him the other weekend he was strong hunted all day for me. He was good thru out the week then all the sudden he got sick and worse and worse.

The vet is not sure what is going on. Said one pupil is small and the other is fine said its the brain. Something going wrong in there. He gave him a shot antibacterial that goes to the brain but it can take up to 24hrs and the vet said he probably won't make it till then. I don't know if I should drive over and have him put down or take the chance and see if the shot will work. I seriously don't want to be in this situation right now. I never thought something like this would happen. I'd rather see one of my dogs die from old age rather than this. Guys go out there and pet your dogs and love them up cause you never know when it will end.
Last edited by Joeyman on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Give the Doc a chance, i've seen them do some amazing things, that hound will fight for all he's worth.

I know this is no consolation at this time, but your becoming a houndsman. All the love, work and pride you've put into your hounds and a part of it threatened to be ripped from you and all you can do is cross fingers and hope for the best. Your metal is being tempered, it's never easy but handling it and the will to go on is what determines longevity with hounds.
We're all pull'n fer ya... ;)

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

its just so hard s.r.patch I'm crying like a little kid.

here some pics of him.

He jumped every single rabbit on that tailgate that day and bit the tail off one on a bed jump. I can picture that in my head.

he always liked to retrieve rabbits for me too.

he was always at my side no matter what. every single hunt he was there with me

Last edited by Joeyman on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

S.R.Patch wrote:Give the Doc a chance, i've seen them do some amazing things, that hound will fight for all he's worth.

I know this is no consolation at this time, but your becoming a houndsman. All the love, work and pride you've put into your hounds and a part of it threatened to be ripped from you and all you can do is cross fingers and hope for the best. Your metal is being tempered, it's never easy but handling it and the will to go on is what determines longevity with hounds.
We're all pull'n fer ya... ;)
Very good post Patch! Those of us that have been in the hound world for years have had to deal with this sort of thing many times. It's never easy! IMO, it's what makes us come back for more. Hope it works out for the best Joey.

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Now don't start that...you'll have me blubber'n too. We gotta stay positive...that hound knows if you give up on him...now shape up! :hammer:
Start think'n bout were your gonna hunt him when he's better, he's a strong hound right?

eddywilliams

Post by eddywilliams »

Hope your dog gets well soon ,good luck .
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

S.R.Patch wrote:Now don't start that...you'll have me blubber'n too. We gotta stay positive...that hound knows if you give up on him...now shape up! :hammer:
Start think'n bout were your gonna hunt him when he's better, he's a strong hound right?
I had big plans after deer season. December suppose to be a big month for us rabbit hunting. I was going to go all out I had several new farms to hunt too and it aint gonna be the same without him. I need him there with me.

I all Got is a female off him her name is leah. I never got the chance to duplicate him. She looks just like him though and hunts almost just as hard but she's not the same. very close but not the same.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Well Joey, I been up since yesterday an gotta go back in to work tonight os gotta got to bed but you gotta know that hound wants to make those hunts with you and you don't give up on him.
Wish you the best...

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

S.R.Patch wrote:Well Joey, I been up since yesterday an gotta go back in to work tonight os gotta got to bed but you gotta know that hound wants to make those hunts with you and you don't give up on him.
Wish you the best...
thanks S.R.Patch. Gonna call the vet here real soon and get an update.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Just spoke to vet 2pm Nov 18th 2009

said he is still in same state. He is laying on his side. He stiffens his legs then relax's them. His eyes look dialated. They gave him a shot of Chloramphenicol which covers a wide variety of things. he said he has seen dogs in this state before and some pull thru with the shot and some don't make it. He said Pistol has a 50/50 chance to pull thru. I'm really hoping the shot helps him I want him back like you have no idea. I asked if I go there if it'll help and he said I don't think the dog knows whats going on he is in a dazed state of mind. Has no clue whats going on. So for now I'll sit and wait and hope he comes thru doc said he'll call me if he gets worse.

Mike Gibeaut

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

I Know It' Tough But Vets Can Work Wonders Some Times.Last Year Had To Put One Down.Dad Has Owned Dogs For 61 Years.First Time Mom Ever Saw Him Cry Over This. Months Later had To take another One To Vet Did not Look Good.Vet Called figured Out What He Thought About That Night At Home Took og Next Day LOW THYROID Put Her On Medicine Fine Ever Since.Hang In There Strange Things Happen In This World DO NOT GIVE UP.
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Hope he makes it. hang in there Joey. It all works out in the end.

Anderson Upland Beagles

Post by Anderson Upland Beagles »

Sorry Joey hope it works out ive been there im sure a lot of us have .

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

when you have that hound that means the world to you it is hard. you will cry like a baby no dough about that. just remember stay positive, they are tough little animals. even when they look down and out they can rise back to there feet. had one get nailed by a yote vet said it didn't look good but she pulled thew. so keep your head up. were all pulling for ya