R.I.P. Tracking Pistol

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

R.I.P. Tracking Pistol

Post by Joeyman »

Bad news guys pistol passed away early this morning. I found him dead in the morning. I tried everything I could to get him going again. He did get better he was even running around in the backyard. I walked him around the block thanksgiving morning. The next day when I loaded up dogs for a rabbit hunt he tried going with me but I put him up in the kennel. Told him soon we'll go again but you'll have to wait till you're better. Saturday he looked bad and everyday after that he got worse and worse. Pistol just wasn't the same anymore he fought for almost 2wks thru this and I was there right along with him. I tried my best but couldn't help him thru it. It had to be something neurological going on with him. Whatever it was it was bad. He was only 4yrs old and the best dog I've ever owned. I never went anywhere with out him as far as rabbit hunts go.

I buried Pistol at one of my favorite hunting grounds early this morning. I walked the area till I was satisfied with a nice spot to put him. It is overlooking a nice sized lake on a rolling hill under a lonely tree with thick brush all around. It is a perfect spot for a well deserved hound. He done me good all these years and I will never forget his booming mouth and what a great all around gun-dog he was. As I carried him from the truck to his burial spot I gave him one more last hug and spoke to him for a bit before I covered him up. I hope he is out there giving them rabbits hell like he always did. Hope to see you again one day Pistol I will miss you. - Joey

This is one of my favorite pictures of him.

Here is the last weekend of hunting I had with him. He gave it is all everytime out. Never quit never stood around was in the race every time.
another favorite of him

I still remember this hunt like it was yesterday. He jumped every rabbit in this picture and bit the tail off the first rabbit jumped in the morning. It was a bed jump and he about caught the thing just nipped off his tail. After all the dogs circled it thru the woods I was able to shoot the rabbit and sure enough its tail was clear gone. That was my pistol. Look for the rabbit all the way to the left that's the one. I like to tell that story all the time.
Last edited by Joeyman on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

ebag33

Re: R.I.P. Tracking Pistol

Post by ebag33 »

Man Im sorry Joey. Reading you posts and looking at your pics through the years its obvious what your dogs mean to you. Sorry about your loss I hate to hear about someone losing a favorite like that.

Gabe Miskimen
Miskimen Kennels
LPGRCH M & M's Little Mischief
LPGRCH Chester's Little Charmer Andy
LPRCH Branko's Cool Ringo

KILLNTM

Post by KILLNTM »

Sorry to hear you lost him Joey. Just remember the good times you had while you had him.

BiL

Mike Gibeaut

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

Joey Sorry About Your Loss.I Am Sure you Will Never Forget Him And All The Good Hunts.Just Like Losing A Family Member Those Of Us Who Lost A Dog Know The Pain You Feel !!!!!
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

Sorry Joey I know he meant a lot to you........RIP Pistol
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

Beaglemomma

Post by Beaglemomma »

Joey,
I am so sorry. My heart and blessings to you. What a loss, it is like losing a limb. Sure you are devastated. Thought he had beat this. He is at thr rainbow bridge waiting for you. The tenth will be three years that I lost my angel. She was three. God bless you.

dave g

Post by dave g »

joey, i am very sorry for your loss. pistol has had the best life any dog could get, plenty of bunny to run and plenty of love and care from his owner. he will be running the rabbits that never go to hole now, without any pain and sickness.

later, dave

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

Sorry to hear Joey.Was pulling for ol Pistol the whole time.

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

Sorry to hear about your loss. Its never easy to loose a hunting buddy. Sounds like you tried everything w/in reason to keep him going as long as possible. Best advice I got from an experienced beagler, when I had two dogs run over at the same time (running together) is to replace the dog and keep on running and hunting. If you are around beagles for any length of time you will have dogs that die too early.
Best of luck,
-Pete
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Sorry to hear this, the good ones are always hard on us to lose.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Jeremy Mapes

Post by Jeremy Mapes »

Sorry to hear that Joey. Hopefully getting that pup going will help to ease the pain.
Dry Creek Kennel-Bred to get it done where it counts the most "under the gun".
RIP FC Buckeye's Big John
PCH HBCH Dry Creek Stroke Of Genius
DCK Bounty Hunter
DCK Queen Of The Cage (Rousey)

ddetar00

Post by ddetar00 »

Joeyman....

We are so sorry to hear of your loss. Missi and I just got up from the table and wondered if we had good news today,
we have certainly been wishing for some. I checked and found this sobering reality.

It has to be tough... I have not had to go thru this yet, but I can only imagine what you are feeling.
As the wise ones have directed... if we are hound owners we have to expect this, we have to learn to deal with it.
Find another running mate for the pack... pistol will aways be in the field with you.

Dennis and Missi

"Detar's HunkerDown Hounds"
Hunter / Chase / Twister

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

its the worse to loose a good hound.. you can never totally replace them but hopefully you can find one that come close.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

lifehog

Post by lifehog »

Sorry to hear Joey

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

your still young and believe me you will think about him everyday. every time i read a post like this it make me think of my favorite dog elmer. it is hard when it is that one that you love the most,but YOU WILL HAVE BETTER HOUNDS IN YOUR TIME. THEY WILL NOT SIT IN PISTOLS SPOT IN YOUR HEART OR MIND,BUT THEY WILL GET BETTER AS YOU GROW INTO A BETTER HOUNDSMAN. THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING ABOUT PISTOL THAT YOU WILL LIKE MORE THAN ANY OTHER DOG. make no mistake he will be hard to replace in the pack, but you did a lot more than most for your hunting buddy it was just his time. sorry for your loss :cry: