what age to start

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

padeerhunter

what age to start

Post by padeerhunter »

What age do most dogs start? I have a 7 1/2 month old male that just does not seem to show intrest. I trapped a rabbit the other day and took him to it. He smelled around the trap and wimpered a little. When I let the rabbit lose, he sight chased it till it went into the brush and then came back to me, he didn't bark while chasing. We have a female that started at about 5 months, she is now about 1 1/2 years old and just amazing!! When we take them out together, the pup runs with her for a little, but then just come and walks by one of us and won't even run along side of her when she is running a rabbit. Is there any hope for him? Going to keep on trapping rabbit and working with him, but it is frustrating!! Thanks

Doug

PREACHERS,KENNEL

Re: what age to start

Post by PREACHERS,KENNEL »

seen some wait till after a yr . thats way to long for me now . he sounds like hes gonna be ok just a late starter tho he is sight chaseing .. do that few more times should click. do youhave a starting pen near you they are invaluable!

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

Take him to a strarter pen and let him get a few more sight chases and he should take off.
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

padeerhunter

Post by padeerhunter »

Thanks guys, gives me some hope. Guess all dogs are different. This is only our second dog, so I don;t know a whole lot about this. Thanks again

Doug