WHEN DO YOU CONSIDER THEM BROKE

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitsmoker

WHEN DO YOU CONSIDER THEM BROKE

Post by rabbitsmoker »

HOW MANY RUN SHOCKING COLLARS ON THIER DOGS ALL THIER LIFE ARE DO YOU I BELIEVE WITH MY EXPERIANCE IF I RAISE THEM AFTER TRAINING AND BREAKING IVE NEVER HAD TO HAVE THOSE TO HAVE TO WEAR ONE ALL THE TIME I KNOW THERE IS EXCEPTIONS IF YOU BUY OLDER DOGS. PERSONALLY THATS ALL I USE MINE FOR IS TRAINING THEM I BELIEVE IF ONE GOTS TO WEAR IT ALL THIER LIFE THIER BROKE TO THE COLLAR NOT OFF WHAT THER DOIN. IM NOT A TRIALER BUT I DONT THINK THEY CAN WEAR ONE WHILE AT THE TRIAL SO THEY GOT TO BE BROKE I KNOW MY PACK OF 2 HALF YEAR OLDS DONT NEED A COLLAR ANYMORE I KNOW EVERYONE USES THIER SYSTEM DIFFERENT

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Re: WHEN DO YOU CONSIDER THEM BROKE

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

From 6mths when they start till they die is my time span on using collars, i bought them to use therefore they have em strapped on there neck. I also strap mine behind there collars i have seen lots put them in front of there collars,Broke ? I fill like in my mind once they start turning em down, i am on my way.But i really have not had a deer problem for years.With that being said they will probaly pound one out the next time i run. :shock: :-o
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I use mine for handling purposes. I'm thinking about adding a collar here real soon. I have the EXP model all i have to do is buy another so I can add it to my system.

Pretty much every dog I have I can run without a collar but i have them so I use them. My youngest dog lightning is being a hardhead here lately so she now wears the shock collar and I'll keep putting one on her every time out.

My oldest bitch daisy she is now 5yrs old I never have put a shock collar on her. She handles well and never had any problem with trash running.

I also would like to add that we don't have a ton of deer around here. We have them and we jump some every once and awhile but its not on a regular basis to where I have to worry about a deer run.
Last edited by Joeyman on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

cburchett77

Post by cburchett77 »

I have a female that is around 16 months old that has never ran any off game. She has actually turned them down. But she is still wearing her collar everytime out. Like they said, if you got them use them. You never know. Probably the only way she will go without a collar is when I use all of them on younger dogs that day.
Clyde Burchett

http://pleasanthillbeagles.webs.com

cburchett77@yahoo.com

GOD SENT HIS SON TO DIE FOR YOU ALSO!!

warddog

Post by warddog »

"WHEN DO YOU CONSIDER THEM BROKE," When I put them in the ground! Never say Never as beagles are scent hounds and sometimes their nose and desire to track something gets the best of them. I've had them go for years and never bother off game and then wham, bam, thank you mame and it's on. If I cut them loose they will be packing, that extra weight around their neck.

Newt

Post by Newt »

When I use mine it is for handling unless I am running with someone else and I don't know his dogs. I don't believe mine will run deer unless another dog starts it. I have deer around my house and I turn them loose unsupervised. So far I haven't had a deer race.
They sure are handy though, if I am ready to quit and the dogs aren't.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

If I cut them loose they will be packing, that extra weight around their neck."
Amen. The e-collar makes them handle so much better. I have one that is almost 3 years old and has never taken off game but she always wears her jewelry when running/hunting and when they see me coming with the e-collars in hand they know what is going on.

Kerry Nelson

Post by Kerry Nelson »

I use mind for handling too, they will wear them everytime they go in the woods, its like a little insurance policy! Ha! Kerry in Maryland
Kerry in Maryland McGrath Road Beagles

Gbeagle

Post by Gbeagle »

I've yet to have a deer race, but it sure is nice to have that peace of mind. I have heard this said more than once!!!!!!

"You cant trust anything that will eat poop and mate with its own family members"
A mans EGO is one heck of a weight for a dog to carry!!!!!

SouthernBeagles

Post by SouthernBeagles »

Gbeagle wrote:I've yet to have a deer race, but it sure is nice to have that peace of mind.
Hey Gary- Now I remember one deer race your dogs got caught up in.......and mine, lol!!! Well, the deer was chasing the dogs!!
:ashamed:
Don't squat with your spurs on!

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

YEA KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN INSUR PURPOSES I HAD ONE THAT WAS BROKE I SEEN HER TURN DOWN DEER TIME AFTER TIME I RAISED HER FROM A PUPPY SHE WAS 5 YRS WHEN SHE DECIDED TO RUN A DEER AND DONE IT RIGHT AND GUESS WHAT!! I HADNT HAD A COLLAR ON HER FOR 3 YRS I GUESS SHE BACKSLID AT 5 YOU CANT TRUST THEM BUT I LIKE TO TRAIN THEM WITH A COLLAR AND THEN WATCH THEM ANSWER TO MY COMMANDS WITHOUT A COLLAR BUT I SPEND ALOT OF HOURS AND I DO ON SOME REACH A POINT THEY DONT NEED A COLLAR ON MOST OF THEM
Last edited by rabbitsmoker on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerry Nelson

Post by Kerry Nelson »

The time when they do not need collars is when they quit hunting! Ha! The tone brings my bunch a runnin and if it does'nt the # 3 level does! Also all dogs can be taught bad habits and I run with people and dogs with bad habits! Kerry in Maryland
Kerry in Maryland McGrath Road Beagles

Gbeagle

Post by Gbeagle »

Southern that was more than a deer race they were running for their lives. Next time Scout saw a deer he ran by me and went straight to the truck poor fella!!!!

For those who have never heard the story.

We were running dogs one spring and they run over a doe and her fawn on bed needless to say momma was pretty upset and jumped on our hounds. :bash: :bash: Sent the whole pack screaming back to us LOL!!!!!
A mans EGO is one heck of a weight for a dog to carry!!!!!

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

warddog wrote:"WHEN DO YOU CONSIDER THEM BROKE," When I put them in the ground! Never say Never as beagles are scent hounds and sometimes their nose and desire to track something gets the best of them. I've had them go for years and never bother off game and then wham, bam, thank you mame and it's on. If I cut them loose they will be packing, that extra weight around their neck.

100% agreed :nod:
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Shotgun John

Post by Shotgun John »

I will always use an e-collar on my beagles.