How fast is to fast

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Kerry Nelson

How fast is to fast

Post by Kerry Nelson »

I was wondering what everyone thinks about dog speed. Some people think gun dogs are to fast but IMO I like quick dogs when we are hunting. How far back from the rabbit is too fast or to slow, any opinions? The pros seem to out weigh the cons IMO but they will over run the track for sure but it usally makes for a fun chase. Kerry in Maryland
Kerry in Maryland McGrath Road Beagles

birmi1nr

Re: How fast is to fast

Post by birmi1nr »

As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as too fast; as long as they can keep the track between their legs and not make unecessary checks for themselves.
CEREAL CITY KENNELS
FCGD CEREAL CITY WANGO TANGO
FCGD CEREAL CITY OOH LALA

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

I THINK THAT IS A PERSONAL OPINION QUESTION BUT ON THE OTHER HAND SOME PEOPLE THINK A WIDE SWINGER IS A FAST DOG MYSELF AS LONG AS THEY CAN HOLD THE LINE AND DONT SWING OUT THEY CANT GET TO FAST FOR ME AS LONG AS THIER TIGHT IN THE CHECK AND DONT OVER RUN ALL MINE RUNS ABOUT 7-7.5 QUICK AND AGRESSIVE

bradadkins

Post by bradadkins »

A dog will not be faulted for speed..but for the inability to hold the line and creating a loss.

As fast as he can drive but not over do it. If he can handle it..skinner back Jack :vamp:
Adkins Bluegrass Beagles
That's How I Roll

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

NOT CHANGEING THE SUBJECT BUT I NOTICED ADKINS ON THE BOTTOM OF YOUR POST AND I GOT SOME DOGS WITH THAT NAME ON THIER PAPERS

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as too fast; as long as they can keep the track between their legs and not make unecessary checks for themselves.
My opinion also.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

birmi1nr wrote:As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as too fast; as long as they can keep the track between their legs and not make unecessary checks for themselves.
I agree, I can't say I've seen to many burners that don't cause unnecessary checks for themselves but I'd like to have one :biggrin: Upper medium is about as fast as I've seen for a clean running hound but I'm sure there are some real cranking dogs out there that run like they are tied to it but I just haven't found them yet :ashamed:

Bobby Vest

Post by Bobby Vest »

Kerry too fast is when a dog runs so fast he is always over running and you can't stand it. Nobody else in the world can tell you what is too fast for you. You buy the feed and take care of it, then all it has to do is suit you. Keep a dog that suits you and forget what everybody else tells you.

BradWV

Post by BradWV »

It depends on how good of a shot you are! LOL

augerhead

Post by augerhead »

I don't think a dog can be to fast. People use that phrase a lot. for dog that cant run a rabbit. The old saying rings true with me fast as possible slow as necessary. I want one to run for the catch if scenting conditions allow

Kerry Nelson

Post by Kerry Nelson »

Bobby V, my thoughts exactly! Thanks the main reason I asked is because some of the other hunters always have a better dog! Ha! Kerry in Maryland
Kerry in Maryland McGrath Road Beagles

Anderson Upland Beagles

Post by Anderson Upland Beagles »

when they out run there nose !!!!!!!!!!

da ridgetop

Post by da ridgetop »

augerhead wrote:I don't think a dog can be to fast. People use that phrase a lot. for dog that cant run a rabbit. The old saying rings true with me fast as possible slow as necessary. I want one to run for the catch if scenting conditions allow
now that old saying describes it for me good saying Donald
Take a ride on the SHORTBUS

NoBull

Post by NoBull »

If they can catch the rabbit and eat it and have another track running before you can get there might be to fast.
Home Sweet Home Kentucky

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

augerhead : You obviously haven't been in this business long. Of course, a dog can be too fast. Not many (maybe 2%) can do what you suggest. Those are the real good ones. A man can hope to have one or two like that in a lifetime. JMO.

Bob-Looking for one like you discribed- in Michigan