jackrabbits in texas?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jumpmaster

jackrabbits in texas?

Post by jumpmaster »

I am thinking of going to texas on a hunt, and was reading about the jackrabbits down there, so I was thinking about taking a few dogs down to try to run them. Has any one tried this, I have never heard of anyone that has? can a dog track one in that sandy soil? Do they circle like a hare, or cottontail?

Bobby Vest

Re: jackrabbits in texas?

Post by Bobby Vest »

A lot of Texas isn't sandy. East Texas especially.

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

they run them with sight hounds. ( gray hounds and whipets)
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

desertrunner

Post by desertrunner »

I almost run them exclusivly in Utah, they will circle like a hare, or cottontail sometimes usually they run wider up to a mile or more. sometimes they run a mile and turn around and run strait back past the hounds to where they are jumped. In my opinion a medium speed dog is best because if they are pushed to hard they will leave the country. I always use tracking collars when running them. Go for it, you'll have a blast.
SEMPER FI TIL I DIE