Coyote Attacked Dog

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

F.KERNS

Coyote Attacked Dog

Post by F.KERNS »

I was out running the other night and a coyote come in on three dogs I was running and attacked my Pebbles dog, it tore her up pretty good ,just wondering if running lights on my dogs would keep the coyotes away.Thanks in advance.

mike crabtree

Re: Coyote Attacked Dog

Post by mike crabtree »

I have used the lighted collars, and never had one attacked with it on, but it could just be coincidence.

I started shooting bottle rockets when I go at night. I dont know if it works or not, but it cant hurt.
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

hope your dog heals up ok. We run lights on our dogs at night i'm not sure if it helps or not but i figure it cant hurt either.
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

Ohiohntr

Post by Ohiohntr »

Forrest, sorry to hear about that, hopefully she makes a full recovery....I was running two dogs Wednesday night and one of them had a white Tracker light on her. With the wind cranking I couldn't hear the coyotes coming in until they were right on top of the dogs. They started yipping and howling and couldn't have been more than 20-30 yards from the dogs....I started yelling and running towards the dogs downing them because they were heading right to the coyotes. The yotes ran off but turned around about 100 yards away and started howling again. I moved locations about 500+ yards away and the coyotes were back on the dogs within 30min of running. The coyotes were bold enough to walk right past my truck to get to where the dogs were. This time they came in silent and the only way I knew they were there is I caught a glimpse of an eye with my headlamp in the field. I decided at that point to load up and go home....the pack must have been very hungry.

I can't say the lights don't work because this is the first time I have had any problems since I started putting it on her and she didn't get eaten but not sure she wouldn't have had I not been there. I can't stand the dang things!!!! :angryfire:

Some guys started hunting them up this way and in one night they located 5 packs within a 2 block radius of my house... :shock: :shock:
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

khensler01

Post by khensler01 »

Forest, was you running at brady creek? Ken

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

i will try this this summer thanks for the idea
mike crabtree wrote:I have used the lighted collars, and never had one attacked with it on, but it could just be coincidence.

I started shooting bottle rockets when I go at night. I dont know if it works or not, but it cant hurt.
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

NoBull

Post by NoBull »

Coyotes are getting worse everywhere not sure if it's more food making them produce more young or just the fact not as many people trap and hunt them anymore but I have seen more coyote's and fox the past 2 years then I can remember ever seeing before. They seem to look bigger and seem a lot less timid as well. I have caught some in spot lights coming right into the yard near the kennels. They do the same things yours did I hit them with a light they run off a few hundred yards and start howling again.

I helped set some guys up tonight in one of my running spots to try and shoot a few so maybe I will have some good pictures for you all this week.

I'm sorry to hear about your hound I hope she makes a good recovery make sure she gets plenty of antibiotics. One of my biggest fears while running is losing a dog to a coyote.
Home Sweet Home Kentucky

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

This is the start of the breeding season for coyotes and this alone will cause them to travel in a pack so to speak.They will try and take out any other K-9 as this is a threat to their pup raising.They don't want any other K-9 competeing for their mate or the food that will be needed to raise their young.They will be very aggressive from now until about June when the pups will be weaned.

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

Hope your dog makes a quick recovery Forrest. I've been workin on the coyote problems here at the house. Killed a few here and there, but can't seem to put a dent in them.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

NoBull

Post by NoBull »

So just did some research on coyotes in my area turns out we have had a ton of reported Coydogs were killed in the last few years. Might explain why there has been so many coyote attacks on lifestock and pets when the owner is nearby. Coydogs are sometimes larger then a coyote they are more agressive and they can reproduce all year like a dog as apposed to a coyote's normal once a year.Only way to really tell difference between them other then size is to keep the skull and have it measured. For you guys up north a study was just done in Maine and out of 100 coyotes caught 22 had more then 50% wolf.

Turns out the reason these things are being so produced now is there are actually breeders now who think this is a good idea to create coydogs mixing a coyote male and a shepard female http://www.coydog.us/coydog.html one of these breeders lives outside of Baltimore Ohio.

Just some info figured I would share with you guys pretty crazy stuff.
Home Sweet Home Kentucky

Chip E

Post by Chip E »

Forrest hope Pebbles gets better soon, everyone talks like that if you run different colors on the dogs when you are running it does help keep them at bay, they will come in to about 100 yards or even closer. I am hnot saying that it will keep them away but it should help.
Chip

swing

Post by swing »

Foxhollow supply had some pretty neat deals they were selling to keep coyotes away
Trent

No one plans to Fail, they fail to Plan

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

A buddy just trap 2 big males where we run he pulled up in the back field and they were headed to the rabbit patch he put traps on a fence roll about 1500 yards from were we run, the direction they were coming from
Last edited by sbadger on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

les 09

Post by les 09 »

hope your dog gets better if anything i've seen out of the lights is usally if they get your dog down, you will get your equipment back.

les

F.KERNS

Post by F.KERNS »

Thanks for the Information Guys,I was running at Belville and the coyotes came in silent and didnt give no warning at all,usually they will start howling and yipping around and I will get my dogs but not this time.