It's all over now. 2/27/10

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shotgun John

It's all over now. 2/27/10

Post by Shotgun John »

We had plenty of running today. One rabbit was circled by me twice and I missed on both circles. Sam got one and then we got on a buck rabbit that took the dogs for about an hour and 45 min. run. We finally downed the dogs at a check. Here's a few pics from today.

From Left to right. My Mom,My Son,Me,Uncle Jack and his son, Sam(goduece)
Sam and Michael
Sleepy head

TBrabbitman

Re: It's all over now. 2/27/10

Post by TBrabbitman »

Nice pics looks like you need a bigger truck lol... i rember when my dad took me rabbit hunting at around your boys age i was knocked out every time on the way back home.
workin
for the man
Huntin when i
can

Blubeagle

Post by Blubeagle »

why did you down the dogs???....mine ran a rabbit for 3 hours on thursday that i was just tickled to death about!!!...i said lets leave him for a breeder!!!....LOL...round and around...then to a hole....had guns....no shots fired!!....great bunny!!!....hope to see him again all spring and summer long!!

upperlimits

Post by upperlimits »

three hours on a cottontail?? what speed you runnin.or walking?

Goduece

Post by Goduece »

We had to call the dogs off because I had a prior commitment later that afternoon. With the exception of one breakdown of about 5 minutes the dogs ran that rabbit with very few checks. Was one of the best runs of the season and a great way to end it. Me and the dogs are in need of some R&R, then it will be back to running and some solo work.

Blubeagle

Post by Blubeagle »

upperlimits wrote:three hours on a cottontail?? what speed you runnin.or walking?
i can assure you my hounds dont walk!!!...i would dare to say that my hounds could stay up with any there are out there!!!...what do you think happens if the rabbit stays up??...the dogs run it!!!...in the 3 hours there were 2 break downs for about 1 minute total!!!...hounds just kept pounding that thing!!!...we watched that rabbit try about every trick in the book...double back...jump 5 feet to the side of the line....through water..it was a very smart rabbit!!!...i had all i wanted in the freezer...so we let him run!!!...it was a great race...wish they were all like that!!...so...dont you have any hounds that can keep one moving for 3 hours???...i would say i would sell you one that can...but i just sold the last one i had for sale last week!!!...LOL

Blubeagle

Post by Blubeagle »

by the way...my pack consist of...1 red and white 10 year old female....1... 6 year old blue tick....and 2 ..11 month old female tri colored ...hard hunting... fairly fast ...with no quit attitudes!!!...yes 3 hours!!!...would have been longer...but they got a little too close and it decided to go in a hole!!

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

It doesnt surprise me a good fast rabbit dog can hold a rabbit as long as it doesnt hole just like a slow one sounds like a rabbit dog to me LOL