Shock collar ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

matt c

Shock collar ?

Post by matt c »

At what age do you guys start using shock collars on your dogs for discipline? I have a 6 month old hard headed pup and was wondering if it was to early to put it on her?

RHYRE

Re: Shock collar ?

Post by RHYRE »

6 months old is plenty old. Make sure not to give him too much juice.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

yep 6 months old is ok but go very easy on it. Take it slow.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

matt c

Post by matt c »

Any tips on how you break them in to the collar. I am going to use it so she will come to me better. Any ideas on how i should go about it????

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

6 months is old enough just make sure the pup knows what you want before you shock them for not doing what you ask of them. I see too many guys using a shock collar to "help" teach their dogs new commands and that will only hurt the effectiveness of the shock collar.

vwc1950van

Post by vwc1950van »

I started to use a shock collar on my dog when he was 4 mth old. The primary reason for getting one was to discurage chasing trash (deer in particular, although I also didn't want him to chase turkeys). My beagle is also very bullheaded (aren't all of them that way?). I found that you had to shock him every time that he put his nose to the ground to smell tracks. I've only had him run a deer once, that I know about (my son and his dog happened to walk into a small group of deer ( approx. 6-7); while my dog was some distance away from the ruckus, he ran over to see what was happening, when he saw that "huge" hare running, it was too much for him. It happened so fast that I never had a chance to shock him. After that, every time that he even glanced at a track during the rest of our walk,I used a rather high level (I own a Tri-Tronics). Normally I have been using a lower level to get his attention, as I call for him to come. Level-2-2 normally is my option unless he is very near to me than it's at level-1-2. When we had to deal with the chasing situation, however, it was at level-3-1! He never goes without h is collar on.

As to how to train him so that he is not "collar wise"---he wore it each time I went out with him for almost 2 months without using it. He had no Idea what was happening to him when I did start using it.

andrew_kirby

Post by andrew_kirby »

vwc1950van wrote:I started to use a shock collar on my dog when he was 4 mth old. The primary reason for getting one was to discurage chasing trash (deer in particular, although I also didn't want him to chase turkeys). My beagle is also very bullheaded (aren't all of them that way?). I found that you had to shock him every time that he put his nose to the ground to smell tracks. I've only had him run a deer once, that I know about (my son and his dog happened to walk into a small group of deer ( approx. 6-7); while my dog was some distance away from the ruckus, he ran over to see what was happening, when he saw that "huge" hare running, it was too much for him. It happened so fast that I never had a chance to shock him. After that, every time that he even glanced at a track during the rest of our walk,I used a rather high level (I own a Tri-Tronics). Normally I have been using a lower level to get his attention, as I call for him to come. Level-2-2 normally is my option unless he is very near to me than it's at level-1-2. When we had to deal with the chasing situation, however, it was at level-3-1! He never goes without h is collar on.

As to how to train him so that he is not "collar wise"---he wore it each time I went out with him for almost 2 months without using it. He had no Idea what was happening to him when I did start using it.
so let me get this straight you shocked him anytime he crossed a deer path?

" After that, every time that he even glanced at a track during the rest of our walk,I used a rather high level (I own a Tri-Tronics). Normally I have been using a lower level to get his attention, as I call for him to come. Level-2-2 normally is my option unless he is very near to me than it's at level-1-2. When we had to deal with the chasing situation, however, it was at level-3-1! He never goes without h is collar on."]

I can see disciplining and shocking a dog to break it off running deer but just shocking the dog when you walked over cold tracks and he shows no interest is not the way it should be done. atleast in my opinion. Also I would like to know your idea behind shocking the dog as you call him in. I have my dogs trained to come to tone and shocking is only used as reprimand for not coming when called. It takes training and time to teach the dog this randomly shocking the dog while calling wont do any good

Shock collars are great tools but you have to be smarter than the dog to use one. You have to teach the dog what you want it to do before you can discipline it for not doing it. Dont just shock it with the hopes it will figure it out.

My opinion only

RHYRE

Post by RHYRE »

I used the tone button before the shock on the "come here" command. It doesn't take to long for them to figure this out. Make sure to praise them as soon they get to you. I hit the tone button and my dogs are at my feet.

SilverZuk

Post by SilverZuk »

I start with the collar in the yard, or running pen. Just basic commands. It seems like pups around 5 to 6 months old get hard headed. They know hunting and running rabbits is more fun than coming when called. Using it in the yard, or running pen is a very controlled place that you can directly observe the pup's reaction.

I start them out on about 4 (my dogtra's don't seem to phase a dog on 3 or less). Some will "yip" a little on 4, others won't even flinch. I issue the command twice (usually calling them in). If I get no response, I issue the command and hit the "nick" button. I then issue the command again. I will repeat until they come to me. When they get there I pet them and reward them. Repeat this until they "learn their name". Then they are ready to take to the field.

On deer chases, I don't say a word. I let them run it a while so they make sure they know what they are running and commit to it. I then shock them on a higher setting. If they resume, they get shocked again. When they come back, I pet them and reward them.

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

My shock collars came with a owners manual. It explained how the collars works and had a seperate section on how to condition your dogs to respond to it, including how to determine the correct level to use. If you do not have the manual you can usualy find them on line. I did not get one for my first dog until he was 2 years old, and I was ready to give up on his hunting career, becuase I spent all my time hunting for him or waiting for him to come back. The collar took care of that and now I would not go hunting without him. My next dog got one when he was about 6 months old. I would recommend anyone starting with a shock collar for the first time get the manual on how to train with one.
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

I agree with you andrew and vwc, if what you're saying is the truth then you need to get rid of your collars or start learning how to use them properly and effectively...............your methods are no way to go about it especially on a 4 month old pup.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

I got a question for you guys that love the tone option on a shock collar>?>> what is the big deal with the tone button??? If you get them to come when they hear the tone but not when you are yelling at them to come and then you have to tone them to remind them what do you when you hit a TRIAL and can't wear the collar????? :shock: im a little confused why some feel the need for a tone on the shock collar i bought the shock collar to SHOCK :shock: not tone!! I can go buy a beeper with a remote and put it on a dog collar for $10 ( why you paying $300+ )!!! I just never understood the reason for the tone!! if you have the shock collar use it thats why people are running around trying to catch their hounds cause they dont know the come command without the tone!!!!! :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

also this is not directed to anyone particular just want to know the answer!!!! not trying to steal the thread and yes 6 months is plenty old enough i have used it on a 4 month old but a light stimulation!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I call if they don't come I tone twice if they don't come I shock. Thats how I use tone. Normally they come when they hear the tone. Also I paid $500 for my unit that has tone and shock. The shock is there just in case I need it wheither it be if they don't listen wheither it be they run off game wheither it be for anything. I call if they don't come then use tone first. Shock second.

lately I've been batteling my 6 month old bull headed male pup. He is making me angry. Don't want to come even when i shock him. I call and call him he dn't come I hit the tone he don't come I shock I hear a yelp takes a another shock or two before he comes in. Big dummy or hard hunter I'm not sure yet. It happens after a loss and I want him to come on in so I can move him to another field nearby.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I like the tone because it gives the dog a chance to get to me before I use the shock. Like Joeyman said the tone button is there so why not use it. When I first got Moe, I took him out in a big field and practiced with him the here command. I would call him to me, if he didn't come, I'd would tone him. If he still would stand there and look at me I would pull him in with the check cord and give him praise. He soon found out that the tone ment to come. When he wants to be hard headed, a dose of 1 on the Tri-tronics gets him to me, he knows there are other settings on there that I had to use before and he doesn't like it.

9 out of 10 times Moe will come to me when the Tone is used. He usually checks on me when out in the field so I usually don't use the device at all.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

johns03272008 wrote:I got a question for you guys that love the tone option on a shock collar>?>> what is the big deal with the tone button??? If you get them to come when they hear the tone but not when you are yelling at them to come and then you have to tone them to remind them what do you when you hit a TRIAL and can't wear the collar????? :shock: im a little confused why some feel the need for a tone on the shock collar i bought the shock collar to SHOCK :shock: not tone!! I can go buy a beeper with a remote and put it on a dog collar for $10 ( why you paying $300+ )!!! I just never understood the reason for the tone!! if you have the shock collar use it thats why people are running around trying to catch their hounds cause they dont know the come command without the tone!!!!! :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

also this is not directed to anyone particular just want to know the answer!!!! not trying to steal the thread and yes 6 months is plenty old enough i have used it on a 4 month old but a light stimulation!!!
Ever hear how much noise a hound makes when he is crashin around in dry brush, head down trying to work up a track? When a dog is 1/2 mile from you hunting, he can definitely hear a tone from the collar at his neck better than you yelling your guts out... That is why I would insist on the tone. A collar without a tone option is completely worthless!!!!!!
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell