So is the Ivomec everyone is using?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

So is the Ivomec everyone is using?

Post by Joeyman »

Is this the one you use?

Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Bellmorekennels

Re: So is the Ivomec everyone is using?

Post by Bellmorekennels »

Joey , I do not use Ivomec, I use Panacure powder for worming, it treats all 3 types of worms. I buy from my vet in a 2lb. tub, it is enough to treat 6 to 8 dogs for 2 years, and is used for just about any mammal. I give it to them every 3 months,and sprinkle teaspoon on puppy food to treat them when they are weaned, costs about $150.00 per tub

south mtn beagles

Post by south mtn beagles »

Nemex 2 is what I have used,got it otc from bullwinkle.com.

Buckshot101

Post by Buckshot101 »

I use that one or the generic when feed store's generic is not higher than the name brand -- go figure.

The wormers the other guys are posting doesn't treat for heartworms -- that is what the Ivomec is used for.

rabbitsmoker

Post by rabbitsmoker »

Ivomec is bad for thier kidneys and liver and will also keep females from having pups if used for a long period of time Drontal Plus is the best and it is made for dogs once every 4-6 months will keep them wormed your really not suppose to worm a dog unless they have worms But to answer your ? that what i believe some does use

SouthernBeagles

Post by SouthernBeagles »

Yes Joey, thats the one I use for heartworm prevention only at 1/10cc per 10 lbs once a month.

I have never had a dog die of kidney failure and have several senior dogs now that still run great........AND I have never had a miss from breeding.

I use the safeguard (fenbendazol) for hooks, rounds, and whips and use droncit as needed for tapes.
Don't squat with your spurs on!

Rainman

Post by Rainman »

Joey,
I'm with Southern on this. I had a vet friend start me on Ivomec 30 years ago and have never had any problems. Just don'e use it on collies.
Darryl

Running hounds and listening to the orginal country music!

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I just wanted to see how many poeple here use this Ivomec. my vet told me to use it and he showed me what line to draw it up at. This is for my adult dogs. For heartworm prevention. I buy the wormer pill from chip off this board. I give one pill per dog every 3 months. its works well for me.

i want to use this ivomec starting Now till winter hits then stop. Then start back up in the spring time again.

My youngest dog is my trails pup he'll be 6 months old April 16th. he is a big male too. I think it would be ok to give it to him.

My vet also said if I wanted to just treat for heartworm only then 1/10th CC should do the trick but if i wanted to treat Heartworms and a few other worms to give the full amount by wieghing the dog and figure out how much to give. Thats what he told me.

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

so how much did he say use for regular worms?
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

MasonsBeagles wrote:so how much did he say use for regular worms?

he informed me it does not get all the worms. but it does treat a few. I can't remember which. The primary use for Ivomec is for heatworms. I told him I had a handful of dogs and he told me this would be the best way to go for me. he's not a city vet either.

so if you want to treat for heatworms and the other intestinal worms to give full amount. weigh your dog if he is 20lbs give him 2/10th of a cc but he said If I just want to treat for heatworm only and use the pills I mentioned to him which suppose to cover all the worms including tapes that I should give 1/10th of a cc and thats it per dog once a month. He said thats all you need for heartworm treatment. heck he even gave me 3 brand new syringes with needles.

Does that sound right to you guys?

big mike 50

Post by big mike 50 »

I use it orally, I don't inject it but that is the stuff I use.
When the tailgate drops the bull$#!t stops

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

I use Noromectin. It's just another brand of the same stuff. I get it at the local Farm & Home. Same dosage. I also give it orally
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10

Keith C.

Post by Keith C. »

I suck up 1/10th of a cc of ivomec per 10 pounds and shoot it into a larger syringe, without a needle, holding a little water and then squirt the larger syringe into the dogs mouth.
I hold the dogs mouth shut for a few seconds to make sure they swallow.
Keith

cheatmountainman

Post by cheatmountainman »

That is what I have used for over 15 years with no problems. I give like others on here 1/10th of a cc for every 10 lbs once a month. As far as being hard on dogs kidneys or getting them bred I never had any problems with that either. I had a Dual Grand champion coon and bear dog with a type of mange and the vet I took her to could not cure her and she was in misery scratching constantly and a friend of mine from Ohio got some info from one of his vets that said to give her a cc and a half a day for 30 days in a row. I was worried about what it would do to her but after trying everything else I decided to give it a try and it cured her without any problems that I could see. She was four at the time and lived past 13 years and I thought that was good for a competition coon and bear hound. She was a 70 lb. hound so that was more than double the dose I was giving her once a month for 30 days in a row. (She usually got 7/10ths of a cc once a month) During this treatment she got a cc and a half every day for 30 days in a row. I use it on all my beagles also. I hope you have good luck with it too.

Dave

cheatmountainman

Post by cheatmountainman »

I also wanted to say I sucked it out with a syringe and removed the needle and added some pop to delute the taste and squirted it in the back of their mouth and held their mouth shut until they swallowed.

Dave