How much Equimax to give

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

brush_hog

How much Equimax to give

Post by brush_hog »

Hello guys and gals. I am making the switch to Equimax horse wormer and was wondering how much to give an average sized hound (25 lbs. or so). Also, anyone had any bad experience with it? Thanks for any input.

Joe

khensler01

Re: How much Equimax to give

Post by khensler01 »

I give 1/2 cc doesn't take much.Ken

BIG ORDEAL

Post by BIG ORDEAL »

about the size of a standard pencil eraser.

beaglecrazy-scott

Post by beaglecrazy-scott »

which worms will this take care of ?

brush_hog

Post by brush_hog »

beaglecrazy-scott wrote:which worms will this take care of ?
As I understand Scott, it treats them all. Tapes, Rounds, Bots, and even heartworms. That's what made me want to switch.

mundellm

Post by mundellm »

Equimax is a combination of ivermectin and praziquantel. and yes it will kill all the worms your dog will encounter

Ivermectin at the correct dose will kill heart, round, whip and is used to kill mange
praziquantel at the correct dose will kill all kinds of tape

Your problem is going to be .. because you are buying a combo designed for horses its NOT going to be in the correct dose for both meds at the same time for dogs...the ratio is wrong

so your going to either
Over dose on one med to get the correct dose for the other or
Under dose, creating med resistant worms, when trying to give the correct dose of the other

Buying the dose of individual meds allows you to get the correct dose and is the cheapest ( 1% ivermectin can be bought at tractor supply and 34mg tablets of praziquantel can be bought on the internet ...look for fish tapes same med just sold for fish)

if you decide to use it talk to your vet to determine what the correct dose of each is and what will happen to the animal from the inccorect dose of the other med you are giving

a word of caution about the pastes ...they are designed to give to large animals...your not going to get an eye dropper to put a drop of medicine in a horses mouth ...instead they dilute it in a big gob of filler (which probably doesnt have a equal distribution of medicine thru the tube).. its easier to administer to the large animal otherwise why why not just concentrate everything