Do bells keep coyotes away?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

pd65

Do bells keep coyotes away?

Post by pd65 »

coyotes got one of my females the other evening i have heard of people using bells on there dogs does this work?

Ed Brown

Re: Do bells keep coyotes away?

Post by Ed Brown »

I figure it certainly doesn't hurt. I always have bells on beagles. It has other advantages too.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I don't know if they keep the yotes away or not but I use bells on my dogs all time but mainly to know where they are.

brush_hog

Post by brush_hog »

I like to run with bells, but it has its drawbacks too. The worst thing is if you run shock collars it makes it a little tougher for them to hear you tone. You might end up shocking them a hair more. Still worth it, IMO.

Joe

Fleetwood

Post by Fleetwood »

Can't hurt that's for sure. Sorry to hear about your dog. I think it's safe to say that coyotes are one of the biggest problems facing us beaglers.

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

Mine always have bells on when in the field...I run a couple different styles of bells and use different sounds to keep track of certain dogs that range out some.I haven't had a problem yet...yet.

billi

Post by billi »

Did you mean awake?

pd65

Post by pd65 »

thanks for the replys i guess nothings full proof when it comes to coyotes.I do alot of running late evening because of work that when there coming out.

Dan Clinker

Post by Dan Clinker »

I lost 2 of my fiest sq. dogs to yots after starteing to use bells i didnt lose any more dogs.This is a bad time of yr cause they are real taritoryel right now cause of young yots now.there also bad in jan. and feb during mateing time . Dan

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I have always run bells on my beagles.It just makes it easier to keep track of them ,especially when I'm running at night.Also helps in thick cover and if you ever lose a dog and are looking for them you can often find one even if they are not running/opening.
Given that I have had my beagles get jumped and torn up by coyotes on three different occasions over the years and they were ALL wearing bells at the time. It may discourage some coyotes but obviously not ALL of them.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

dave404

Post by dave404 »

Same with lights, i run at nite and use the tracker lights. have had several torn up by yotes and one with a light . bells and lights may discourage yotes for a while then they get used to them.
btw, i luv the tracker lights !!

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

After the yotes get used to the bells maybe they think it's a dinner bell when they hear it.

beaglerof4

Post by beaglerof4 »

I have also ran with bells all the time and havent had a problem. Mostly use them for keeping track of all the dogs