Hounds do more than run rabbits!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

oakhill

Hounds do more than run rabbits!

Post by oakhill »

Folks, I have been running the hounds for many many years. Those little four legged critters have taught me some of the most important lessons in life. Patience, loyalty, unconditional love, determination just to mention a few. One of the most important things I have learned from the hounds is…. It is the hunt not the kill. Do you think our hounds care how many rabbits are on the tailgate at the end of the day??? Nope. Or how many times we will get to fire our guns??? Nope. I have started thinking just like them. I am excited just to be headed to the field. :thumbs:

But, the most important thing these hounds have given me is the chance to meet some of the best folks ever to walk on this earth. I have made friendships that will last a lifetime. I am not talking about acquaintances that you see at the field trials every now and then and say “Hey”. I am talking about folks that will watch your back and if necessary will guard your front. They share with you the love of beagling and will do whatever it takes to help you out. This is a treasure more precious than silver or gold and it is the hounds that brings these friends into our lives. I could go on and on but want to share a story with you.

Last fall I received an email from a guy in Nova Scotia, Canada. He had gone onto bfo and bought a pair of pups from a fellow down in Northwest GA. He asked me to check up on this fellow and to see what I could find out. The Canadian had sent the money for the pups and shipping. He drove down to Bangor, Maine, rented a motel, and went to the airport the next day to pick up the pups. Well, the pups were there but they had come COD. If the guy wanted the pups he had to pay the shipping a second time which he did. Thennnnnnnnn, he realized the pups came without their papers. So here he is with two pups with no papers, paid a lot of money for them and shipping them twice and cannot get the guy to respond. I checked around and from what I found out from other beaglers this man was up the creek without a paddle. What he had in hand was all he was going to get. Sad situation but we became good friends over the internet and I told him if he could get it worked out I would give him a running dog with papers if he could figure out how to get it up there. Then he told me about a lady beagle friend of his that loved the hounds as much as I do. She is out with her hound everyday during hunting season. So, she calls and we get to talking and I asked her to come on down and run hounds and bring her hunting buddy with her or vice versa. I can't remember which.. I just spent 10 days running hounds, talking dogs, sitting by the fire and just all around having fun with some of the best beaglers you would ever want to meet. Made friendships that I will treasure the rest of my life. Oh, did I tell ya the lady is 76 yrs young???? IF I could only do as well as her when I get to be that age.(She might kill me for posting her age but I am so proud of her.) It was all I could do to keep up with her. :shock: Peter and my hubby spent the weekends going to gun shows while Dot and I ran the hounds. Peter would go with us during the week.

Here of some pictures of us running the hounds. One of those blueticks is the one that Peter is going to get shipped up to Canada soon.

Should I thank that jerk down in Northwest Georgia for bringing us together???
;)

Some pictures of the hounds running.

Look in the middle of the picture and you can see the rabbit as it went by.

One rabbit wasn't so lucky when it ran into a brush pile. One of the blueticks came out with it in its mouth. Is this "run to catch", Madcatter??

Hounds headed to the truck.

JC of Crewse-N-Beagles running with us. You can see her little black and tan in the lead in one of the first pictures.

We would sit on top of the Ranger and watch the hounds. Dot Bruce up on top and JC standing.

Dot, from Canada and Oakhill

Peter Foster from Canada.

Peter Foster at the cabin ready to run the hounds.

Dot with Sally the hound going to Canada. Nice name for a hound don't ya think??

Peter Foster saying good bye to the hounds.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I broke my toe two days before they got here. :roll:
Last edited by oakhill on Mon May 17, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OAK HILL BLUETICK BEAGLES

BIG ORDEAL

Re: Hounds do more than run rabbits!

Post by BIG ORDEAL »

Thats what its all aboutright there.Great story and fine looking hounds.I would love to take a road trip down south from Virginia and meet respectable breeders and hunters like yourself.Go touring and running hounds,now thats a vacation!!

NorWester1

Post by NorWester1 »

Nice story, funny how life works out sometimes. Have you sent any other hounds north of the Border, Oakhill?

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

Nope, I don't ship hounds.... usually. :roll:

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

Awesome pic`s Oakhill. would ya mind postin WHO THE JERK is so no one else can get burnt?

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

What a wonderful story. I know you've been looking forward to their visit; now you will have to plan one north! Glad it all came together! :cool:

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

But, the most important thing these hounds have given me is the chance to meet some of the best folks ever to walk on this earth. I have made friendships that will last a lifetime. I am not talking about acquaintances that you see at the field trials every now and then and say “Hey”. I am talking about folks that will watch your back and if necessary will guard your front. They share with you the love of beagling and will do whatever it takes to help you out. This is a treasure more precious than silver or gold and it is the hounds that brings these friends into our lives. I could go on and on but want to share a story with you.
Bev, you are one of the first people I thought about when I wrote this paragraph. Your friendship is such a special gift to me.
You would have loved Dot. You two would have had a blast. ;)

PREACHERS,KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS,KENNEL »

good story oakhill... i have made a bunch of friends i never would have met ,because of these hounds as well ...i will never forget our litle story of the rabbit swimming the creek lol.

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

:biggrin: We do have some great memories, don't we Ricky?? That memory is one of my favorite. We were blessed as no one I know have ever seen that before and us sitting right there so close. You are also one of my favorite beagle buddies!! Also, mom's too. ;)

da ridgetop

Post by da ridgetop »

nice story and great pics!
Donald
Take a ride on the SHORTBUS

Kevin Dowell

Post by Kevin Dowell »

Amen brother :!: :!: :!:

The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

great pictures oakhill looks like everyone had alot of fun. :nod:
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

Emery

Post by Emery »

Yelp, it is because of those little four legged creatures that I have people I call my friend all over the US of A! And, of course, Sally is one of them!

Now, if I could only get away to get down there for another visit!

Emery
Be ye kind one unto another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

:biggrin: Yelp, there is this big guy from way up north that has a heart of gold with the love of the hounds, and dedicated to God and family. Emery, you are special in my book. :approve:

Still talks funny though. :dance:

AlabamaSwamper

Post by AlabamaSwamper »

oakhill wrote:[Bev, you are one of the first people I thought about when I wrote this paragraph. Your friendship is such a special gift to me.
;)
HEY! What about me! :moon:
"No stronger bond exist than that between a man and his dog."

Link to RabbitDawg board. (Old Southernbeagles board)
http://www.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=6643