Judges

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sicososbe

Judges

Post by sicososbe »

I ran into this over the weekend.Dog attacks a baby deer.It was to little to run ,but the dog tried to kill it.Ther was no race.The dog won its cast .Should the dog be scratched or not?

bennetdr

Re: Judges

Post by bennetdr »

yes

TC

Post by TC »

yes.
Scratch For Off game....
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

cpuckett

Post by cpuckett »

glad you brought it up scott,i was wonderin the same thing after all the talk at the hunt on saturday,i seen good points from both sides,and i have to admit from my stand point as a judge i would not know the right answer.
Puckett's Ridge Squallin Kennel

rock pushin rabbit hunter

Post by rock pushin rabbit hunter »

Don't know for sure Scott but hillbilly logic tells me if a dog should get a jump, strike for catching a rabbit,a dog should be scratched for catching a deer.Just my opinion.I can see were this would puzzle a judge.Never heard of this happening before.
Home Of
LPGRCH LPBCH 2013 Ky. State Ch. Winner Dixie Drivin' Big Show
LPGRCH 2012 Autism Hunt Winner Hicks' Edge
LPGRCH Watts Rabbit Traitor
LPRCH LPBCH Longwoods Krusher
LPRCH Cave Run Josie

big mike 50

Post by big mike 50 »

If the dog made a noise yes as that would be opening on off game. If the dog somehow silently attacked a deer it would be a much tougher call. I am not a judge but that is my take.
When the tailgate drops the bull$#!t stops

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

Sico Sosbe, I would have scratched the dog for pursuing off game. I mean it had to run after it to catch it right?? Just like Joey said, you catch a rabbit +40, catch a deer and see your name on the ARHA website for 2010 DQ's. Also it doesn't say anything about opening on the deer, that's just like going with a dog chasing a deer, you are guilty by association.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

what if it grabbed it in the bed? that is a tough one to call as I dont think Ive ever heard of that happening in a cast. i had to break up a racoon fight this year while hunting and dog's that wont run off game, they didnt chase it they were hunting in a briar patch and all hell just broke loose, ive seen grown broke hounds eat on a dead deer. Just a tough call to say the least. Honestly I cant see there being a right or wrong answer to that one as an arguement could be made either way.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

This is just my opinion but i wouldnt like my dogs if they did it!! But dont the rules state if the dog pursue's off game???? well if there was no race or was not pursueing it then why would it be scratched?? This is a tuff call here but its hard enough for them not to want to run any other game other than rabbit because their blood is to chase game to catch or scent game!!!! They are all natural scent animals!!! I wouldnt find this a fault in a dog of mine but would not like it either i have shocked a dog before for smelling a dead deer, that way it associates the smell with bad feeling in neck!!! :nod: Just my 2 cents!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

i'm not big into field trials or judging but to me I'd say no. It wasn't a full grown deer and the dog probably stumbled on it and tried to wrestle it down. what dog wouldn't. its one thing when a dog picks up on deer track and runs it. and its another thing when a full grown dog sees a baby deer and wants to have some fun with it. killer instint kicks in. I could be wrong. :roll:
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I would say yes.Cause if the deer could had run.I would bet the dogs would had run it too.I ve seen beagles that would not run a deer if they were looking at it,Guess what.They want run a deer.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

JMO, yes. Even if for a very, very short pursuit it caught the deer after finding it. They jump a rabbit and catch it after a 5ft. chase, points awarded?
Off game is off game whether they are hammering it or mauling it in this case.

WILL LEFEVERS

Post by WILL LEFEVERS »

[quote="MasonsBeagles"]what if it grabbed it in the bed? that is a tough one to call as I dont think Ive ever heard of that happening in a cast. i had to break up a racoon fight this year while hunting and dog's that wont run off game, they didnt chase it they were hunting in a briar patch and all hell just broke loose, ive seen grown broke hounds eat on a dead deer. Just a tough call to say the least. Honestly I cant see there being a right or wrong answer to that one as an arguement could be made either way.[/quote

That was a wild experience, I thought the dogs had caught the rabbit and were fighting over it until I saw the look on your face.

Interesting post, I know I was running in the finals of Ky State a few years ago and I think 3 of 4 or maybe all four dogs ran down a opossum and killed it , my dog included, and was not scratched. Im not going to criticize a judge , they have a tough job to do and the few hunts I have been to I thought the Judges did a good job, win or lose.

TC

Post by TC »

rabbitearl wrote:I would say yes.Cause if the deer could had run.I would bet the dogs would had run it too.I ve seen beagles that would not run a deer if they were looking at it,Guess what.They want run a deer.
Thats My Thought on this.. if the Deer Got away From the Hound Would it Chase it?? I bet the Fawn didnt just lay there!!!Be it 5 foot or a hundred yards I bet it would have taken it....NOW if it had went to it Smelled it and then left it alone...It continues on...JMHO Scratch it... Question it... let the master of hounds decide..
had one Scratched From a UKC hunt one time For Going into a log and coming out with a possum!!!!!! never opened...but Still OFF GAME....Now if it had been ARHA No problem as possum Is not listed as off game....
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

m and m beagles

Post by m and m beagles »

SCRATCHED!!!!!
Travis McCarthy
M and M Beagles
Danville IN
(317)563-2949
Mccarthysroofing@att.net
@ Stud GRHBCH GRPCH GRCH M and M's Rocky Road