solo

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitrunner33

solo

Post by rabbitrunner33 »

had some good running with my pup today. only thing was they wanted to go right to the holes. the longest run out of 6 lasted about 20 min. pup did a good job but every one ended at a hole.

vwc1950van

Re: solo

Post by vwc1950van »

I think that that must have been part, if not all of the reason, that Sonny performed so poorly yesterday :(

He has been spectacular for the last week or so that we've been out, even when the scenting conditions were less than ideal.

He had a hot line almost immedietly, but had a check within a couple of minutes. This happened twice, and than the rabbits must have vanished into thin air just as quickly.

I spent about an hour moving to different places where there is usually an abundance of c.tails, and had no results.

I can't see how this would have happened unless they went to hole also. According to the garmin tracking, there were several spots where Sonny's tracks looked like a ball of yarn.

I didn't go over to these spots to establish why (which I should have done) these spotes were so interesting to him :roll:

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Hair or Hole!

I'd rather the rabbits take to a hole rather than the dog end up losing the scent.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

beaglerof4

Post by beaglerof4 »

Rabbit going to a hole is a good excuse most of us use when the dogs flat out loose the rabbit :nod: :hammer: . Poor scenting conditions is the major problem for poor days of running. Just remember they are just dogs and none are perfect but do yourt best not to make excuses for them without actually seeing what has happened when a chase comes to an end and right now as thick as it is you never know exactly what is happening.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I don't need to see a rabbit go into a hole to know its happened. A dog follows its nose and scent. When a dog is half buried in a hole you know pretty well it trailed the scent to that spot. When it plain looses a rabbit the dog isn't jumping in and digging at a hole. As far as rabbits not wanting to run,I get that every so often when it seems like they just won't run and go straight to a hole, It happens alot in running pens where the rabbits are pressured alot. Randy I'm taking Geena out right now, She has been home for three weeks and I've been soloing her hard. Hext week she will start to run with her mom and the Shooter female again....Good luck to you......DH. PS we got an NBQ on Saturday at the Monroe lisenced trial out of a class of 30 little bitches.

rabbitrunner33

Post by rabbitrunner33 »

i had to pull dixie out of 3 holes yesterday. so i know they went in. thanks and good luck with the pup. who got the nbq.